Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy

Re: Puppy

I am sorry for your loss. My little girl (Yorkie Poo) is in her last days, and she stopped eating 2 days ago. She has been ill for a couple weeks, and at her age I thought that she may not recover. I have spent over $1,500 for vet visits/tests/treatments over the last 10 days, but it appears her organs are simply failing her. She is still mentally alert and does not appear to be in pain, but if either of those circumstances change before she passes, I will have to have her put to sleep. I have always had an extremely soft spot for animals, but this little girl has been closer to me than any pet I have had in the past by a massive margin. She was probably the first "little" dog I have ever had and therefore she has spent so much time with me each day because I could just pick her up and go. I am trying to come to terms with losing her, but I know it will still crush me when she actually passes. The ironic part is I would have never ever chose her as a pet.....my ex-wife purchased her and about 6 months later was going to give her away because she claimed to be moving to a rental that did not allow pets. This led to my 7 year old daughter being heartbroken, and I had to step in and take her so my daughter could keep her pet. At the time, I had a black lab and 2 cats from the divorce that I never chose either....and I am allergic to cats! I kind of even tried to not take up with her.....making my point that I was only doing this for my daughter. It took less than a week before she absolutely stole my heart. I honestly do not think I will get another because of how bad losing her will be.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    This pup loved me like nothing else ever has, she wanted to be with me every waking hour. I feel like I let her down, I will always feel that...
    Well, you won't always feel it quit so strongly. It's good that you're feeling grief. That's exactly what you should be feeling.

I'm sure you know by now. Poodles are really, really smart dogs and as a bonus they don't shed. Great pet.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

I'm so sorry to hear this and I wish you sympathy.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I am sorry for your loss. My little girl (Yorkie Poo) is in her last days, and she stopped eating 2 days ago. She has been ill for a couple weeks, and at her age I thought that she may not recover. I have spent over $1,500 for vet visits/tests/treatments over the last 10 days, but it appears her organs are simply failing her. She is still mentally alert and does not appear to be in pain, but if either of those circumstances change before she passes, I will have to have her put to sleep. I have always had an extremely soft spot for animals, but this little girl has been closer to me than any pet I have had in the past by a massive margin. She was probably the first "little" dog I have ever had and therefore she has spent so much time with me each day because I could just pick her up and go. I am trying to come to terms with losing her, but I know it will still crush me when she actually passes. The ironic part is I would have never ever chose her as a pet.....my ex-wife purchased her and about 6 months later was going to give her away because she claimed to be moving to a rental that did not allow pets. This led to my 7 year old daughter being heartbroken, and I had to step in and take her so my daughter could keep her pet. At the time, I had a black lab and 2 cats from the divorce that I never chose either....and I am allergic to cats! I kind of even tried to not take up with her.....making my point that I was only doing this for my daughter. It took less than a week before she absolutely stole my heart. I honestly do not think I will get another because of how bad losing her will be.
    Just thought I would follow up with the news I had to have my Yorkie Poo put to sleep on Halloween night. She began to show clear signs of struggle to breath that evening, and her organs were shutting down. I have a massive hole in my heart...and I am just trying to stay distracted as much as possible. I truly do not think I will be the owner of a dog again....they just do not live long enough, and the pain of losing one that you are extremely close to is too much to keep going through. I am not silly, I know it is not near the level of sadness that people go through when losing a close family member.....but it hurts like few other things in life. I wish she could have died peacefully....it crushed me to make the call, but I felt she was letting me know that it was time.

Just always remember, if you take on a pet, that is your choice and you owe it to that pet to treat them extremely well. They will return the favor. Take them for a walk even when you do not feel like it....you will get more out of it. When they have an accident or cause a mess....do not take it personally, they are never intentionally trying to cause you a problem or make you unhappy. If you ever feel an animal be being abused, do not be afraid to alert the appropriate authorities....they can not defend themselves, and are counting on us to look out for them. If you come across a dog that has clearly been abandoned and is a stray....take the time to transport them to a no kill shelter....it is not the greatest life, but they will be safe with food and shelter until someone takes them to a new home.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

6. Likes:

goreds2 (11-03-2020)

Update...we got our girl back today and I feel better with her ashes with us at home. I’m still struggling but am getting better each day. Found out tonight my wife put a deposit down on a puppy that will be ready in April, that gives me time to grieve and in turn helps me heal.

- - - Updated - - -

Just thought I would follow up with the news I had to have my Yorkie Poo put to sleep on Halloween night. She began to show clear signs of struggle to breath that evening, and her organs were shutting down. I have a massive hole in my heart...and I am just trying to stay distracted as much as possible. I truly do not think I will be the owner of a dog again....they just do not live long enough, and the pain of losing one that you are extremely close to is too much to keep going through. I am not silly, I know it is not near the level of sadness that people go through when losing a close family member.....but it hurts like few other things in life. I wish she could have died peacefully....it crushed me to make the call, but I felt she was letting me know that it was time.

Just always remember, if you take on a pet, that is your choice and you owe it to that pet to treat them extremely well. They will return the favor. Take them for a walk even when you do not feel like it....you will get more out of it. When they have an accident or cause a mess....do not take it personally, they are never intentionally trying to cause you a problem or make you unhappy. If you ever feel an animal be being abused, do not be afraid to alert the appropriate authorities....they can not defend themselves, and are counting on us to look out for them. If you come across a dog that has clearly been abandoned and is a stray....take the time to transport them to a no kill shelter....it is not the greatest life, but they will be safe with food and shelter until someone takes them to a new home.
    Sorry for your loss.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

8. Likes:

Boss-Hog (11-17-2020),cumberlandreds (11-18-2020),Larkin Fan (11-19-2020),M2 (11-17-2020),Revering4Blue (11-17-2020),RFS62 (11-19-2020),westofyou (11-17-2020)

OH, so badly wanted this to be a happy thread.

So sorry Amigo, that's gotta be real hard to take.

I've been getting really down the last few months but I discovered a good boost is to type "puppy attack" in Youtube.

This is particularly viscious:

Last edited by Rojo; 11-17-2020 at 09:34 PM.

Using a harness instead of a collar when walking a puppy might work better we didthat when ourdog was young.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Using a harness instead of a collar when walking a puppy might work better we didthat when ourdog was young.
    After what happened to my Pap I’m definitely going the harness route from now on.

After what happened to my Pap I’m definitely going the harness route from now on.
    I used one on a Lab I had years ago when he was a puppy, then he grew out of it....and I took the easy route and began to just use the collar. Then with my little dog, she had an expandable leash that allowed her slack to go do her business, but she never pulled when she walked. I say all this to point out that if I ever do have another medium or large dog I am definitely going with the harness. Friends have told me once you get use to putting it on, it is quick and easy.....and much better for the dog to not have that pull on their neck.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Update...we got our girl back today and I feel better with her ashes with us at home. I’m still struggling but am getting better each day. Found out tonight my wife put a deposit down on a puppy that will be ready in April, that gives me time to grieve and in turn helps me heal.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for your loss.
    Thank you, those first couple weeks were tougher than I expected as I am sure you and others know. She would make cameo's in my dreams every night for at least two weeks...and I would have moments in the middle of the day that I would think about her and just kind of lose my breath. I have her ashes back, so she will be in my thoughts for the remainder of my life.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-06-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    OH, so badly wanted this to be a happy thread.

So sorry Amigo, that's gotta be real hard to take.

I've been getting really down the last few months but I discovered a good boost is to type "puppy attack" in Youtube.
    Puppies are the absolute best....even dogs that grow up to be ugly are adorable as puppies.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-06-2020),Rojo (11-29-2020)

Thank you, those first couple weeks were tougher than I expected as I am sure you and others know. She would make cameo's in my dreams every night for at least two weeks...and I would have moments in the middle of the day that I would think about her and just kind of lose my breath. I have her ashes back, so she will be in my thoughts for the remainder of my life.
    I had them separate some of her ashes and I took them and buried them at the park where we would go 2-3 times a week. It makes me feel better that a part of her is at a place where she I think she loved going.

18. Likes:

adkindo (11-29-2020),redsfandan (12-04-2020),Revering4Blue (12-06-2020),RFS62 (12-01-2020),westofyou (11-29-2020)

I had them separate some of her ashes and I took them and buried them at the park where we would go 2-3 times a week. It makes me feel better that a part of her is at a place where she I think she loved going.
    We have a small shrine with the ashes of ours with pictures of them.

20. Likes:

redsfanmia (12-07-2020),Revering4Blue (12-06-2020),RFS62 (12-01-2020)

Slip leashes are usually a better option for medium to larger dogs than harnesses. It’s very difficult to train an enthusiast dog not to pull on a harness. Also harnesses are easier for them to pull out of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was not my thread, but since I added my story, I thought I would follow up. I did not want to quickly get another dog after mine passed, but my daughter and ex-wife convinced me to go look at a rescue pup they thought I would like. As expected, once I met the little guy, he was coming home with me. The rescue owner and vet think he is about a year old Lhasa Apso / miniature poodle mix (Lhasa Poo). He is slightly larger and a few or pounds than my previous Yorkie Poo. He will never really replace her, but I am amazed how different his personality is compared to hers. She was extremely particular about the people she liked...basically it took time for a person to earn her affection and she wanted little to nothing to do with other 4 legged animals. She demanded my attention, but she was not really a "lap dog" as in she would not ever show a level of humility required to seek my attention....it was just an implied understanding between her and I. My new guy loves everyone including other 4 legged animals and has no issue letting me know he wants some personal attention!

I named him Oscar, and he cracks me up several times a day. When I walk him on a leash, he prances in front of me shaking his backside from left to right like he is on a catwalk. Although I have only had him for less than a month, he displays a fierce level of loyalty to me which is good and bad. The bad is he wants to be with me at all times...as in he sets right outside the shower door when I shower and will whine when I have to leave him behind. Last week, he was around my ex wife's dog which is a Labradoodle and weighs about 60 lbs....so about 4x the weight of Oscar. I have a long history of playing a little rough with the Labradoodle as in I will grab his nose/mouth for about a second to aggravate him....and he will playfully snap back at me while huffing and puffing. The Labradoodle would never bite anyone or anything to hurt them....it is just our playful thing. So I was doing it the other day, and the Labradoodle responded by jumping at me, snapping (maybe not the best descriptive word), and just playing with me......then all of a sudden I see this small white little thing come flying into my line of eyesight directly into the Labradoodle's face, snapping, growling and raising hell. Little Oscar thought the Labradoodle was trying to hurt his human, and was going to jump several weight classes to protect me. LOL. The Labradoodle just had this look of confusion! I had to calm Oscar down and have a little talk with him.

Still miss my little girl (Yorkie Poo), but Oscar is going to be good companion for many years.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

23. Likes:

moewan (01-01-2021),Revering4Blue (01-01-2021),Roy Tucker (01-02-2021)

Turn Off Ads?