Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: You know you're getting old when ...

You know you're getting old when ...

I had a "Damn, Methuselah!" moment the other day when I was explaining to my son how people used to fax song requests to radio stations. For those who only know the 21st century, it's almost impossible to process the how and why of that.

I figure that's only the tip of the iceberg in terms of the ancient knowledge we here have accrued.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: You know you're getting old when ...

I used to dial them in on a rotary phone. I even remember when AM radio was the place you requested them from and FM was not for music.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

hebroncougar (10-29-2020)

When you are teaching the children of former students!
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

6. Likes:

GAC (12-11-2020),M2 (10-26-2020)

You know you're old when you go to a memorial for a friend of 40 plus years and one of the people who speak about him is a 33 year old who you last saw when she was two

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I had a "Damn, Methuselah!" moment the other day when I was explaining to my son how people used to fax song requests to radio stations. For those who only know the 21st century, it's almost impossible to process the how and why of that.

I figure that's only the tip of the iceberg in terms of the ancient knowledge we here have accrued.
    I remember thinking faxing a request to a radio station was the height of technology, we had reached the future world that I saw in sci-fi movies.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

When you go to a funeral gravesite ceremony, they put a row of chairs right next to the freshly dug grave. They put them there for the oldest people there.

Went to a funeral a few months back and noticed nobody was sitting in those chairs. I looked around and I was the oldest there. I said I’ll just stand thank you. My wife calls it the row before the hole.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

10. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (10-29-2020),cumberlandreds (10-28-2020),GAC (12-11-2020),goreds2 (10-27-2020),M2 (10-26-2020),RedsBaron (11-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I remember thinking faxing a request to a radio station was the height of technology, we had reached the future world that I saw in sci-fi movies.
    The way I explain it now is it was like a text on paper.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Around her middle school age, my daughter asked how we found out about things without Google and the internet. I told her about this thing call the library and the Dewey decimal system.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

13. Likes:

757690 (10-26-2020),Bourgeois Zee (10-29-2020),RedsBaron (11-02-2020),redsfandan (10-27-2020),RFS62 (10-27-2020),westofyou (10-26-2020)

Oh man, I remember that. Hampton Roads station 93.7 The Coast used to do a different theme at lunchtime every day and I would get people in the office to help come up with a list of songs for me to fax in. I guess I kept all the faxes for some reason because my boss found them one day. He didn't know what the hell they were but because he was the type that was terrified his employees might occasionally get the urge to have fun, he put an immediate stop to it.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

15. Likes:

M2 (10-26-2020)

Here's a baseball related one that I often come back to:

I feel like just yesterday Ken Griffey SENIOR was one of my favorite players in his prime. And now his son has completed a full HOF career, and that son has a son of his own who's a fully grown 26-year-old adult. I mean, how???
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

17. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (10-29-2020),M2 (10-26-2020),RFS62 (10-27-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redhawkfish View Post
    When you are teaching the children of former students!
    In high school, I had a biology teacher who taught my dad.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

When you're older than the oldest active major league baseball player.

EDIT: Pujols was the oldest active player this year, I'm one day younger.
    Last edited by Kinsm; 10-26-2020 at 07:15 PM.

I remember when Pete Rose turned 60.

That was unimaginable.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

You should blow his mind with the "beeper/pager" process....and how once you received the raw phone number, you would often have to search for a "phone booth" to respond.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Do you remember the original faxes that were printed on the terrible thermal paper? Tell them if they printed out their homework and put it in the oven for an hour at 350, that is a what a fax looked like.

I was also telling someone a couple of weeks ago that you could actually have sex on the hood of your car in the Oregon District and not worry about cameras or smart phones, and that was less than 20 years ago. At least, that's the rumor I heard.

23. Likes:

M2 (10-28-2020)

Turn Off Ads?