Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone here written a book?

Has anyone here written a book?

I think I have seen someone here say they have published a book (and even shared their amazon author page here) but I don't remember who. I'm sorry for that, but I'm thinking about researching a non-fiction book, about Civil War Soldiers from Campbell County, Kentucky, and wondered if anybody here has any advice or thoughts on this idea.

I suspect it will take at least another year, maybe 2, to research and write and wonder if it is worth the effort. It will be a labor of love for me (at least the research I have done so far has been) and suspect that will continue, even with all the work it will take and probably some unexpected issues that arise.

I do not have a plan for having it published it yet and don't know if that is something I should try to address now, or should I just concentrate on doing the work and then worry about sharing this work down the road. I figure the worst case scenario is I create a webpage and share it there, as I think that at the very least some of the information will help future researchers, though I also hope some of the stories I'm finding will be of interest too (men captured or killed at various battles and some of their wartime experiences, as well as human-interest & genealogical type stories.)

Any thoughts or advice or comments on this? Am I crazy for trying it? (Probably so, but it is something I've thought about for a while until this idea for a topic and approach came into my head. At some point, I should pursue something I enjoy, shouldn't I?)

Thanks

2. Likes:

marcshoe (08-14-2020),westofyou (08-11-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Has anyone here written a book?

Wasn’t it “old right hander” who wrote a book?
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

5. Likes:

marcshoe (08-14-2020),Roy Tucker (08-11-2020),SunDeck (08-15-2020),westofyou (08-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    I think I have seen someone here say they have published a book (and even shared their amazon author page here) but I don't remember who. I'm sorry for that, but I'm thinking about researching a non-fiction book, about Civil War Soldiers from Campbell County, Kentucky, and wondered if anybody here has any advice or thoughts on this idea.

I suspect it will take at least another year, maybe 2, to research and write and wonder if it is worth the effort. It will be a labor of love for me (at least the research I have done so far has been) and suspect that will continue, even with all the work it will take and probably some unexpected issues that arise.

I do not have a plan for having it published it yet and don't know if that is something I should try to address now, or should I just concentrate on doing the work and then worry about sharing this work down the road. I figure the worst case scenario is I create a webpage and share it there, as I think that at the very least some of the information will help future researchers, though I also hope some of the stories I'm finding will be of interest too (men captured or killed at various battles and some of their wartime experiences, as well as human-interest & genealogical type stories.)

Any thoughts or advice or comments on this? Am I crazy for trying it? (Probably so, but it is something I've thought about for a while until this idea for a topic and approach came into my head. At some point, I should pursue something I enjoy, shouldn't I?)

Thanks
    I have not written a book (yet) but my wife has been published and has many friends who have as well. If you want to publish it then you'll need a buy in from a publisher and that means giving them that five minute elevator pitch that will pique their interest. Samples are good too for this. You can also self publish (I know some who have) I say go for it. If you will only enrich yourself in this endeavor then you are already ahead.

7. Likes:

UKFlounder (08-11-2020)

Just the first part of the research has enriched myself and I do see a worst case scenario where I turn this over to the local historical society (where I volunteer) and it becomes valuable to them, so I suspect I am going to continue this and see where it goes.

9. Likes:

marcshoe (08-14-2020)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

University Press of Kentucky publishes a whole lot of military history, FWIW.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

11. Likes:

westofyou (08-11-2020)

Ask yourself what you want out of the experience. You will not recoup any money you put into it. The time will go. Writing is hard.

On the other hand, there is cache in saying you've published something.

There are several regional presses that put out the kind of book you are talking about and then sell them in gift shops. I would take a look at that kind of book and see if it fits what you have in mind.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

13. Likes:

757690 (08-12-2020),UKFlounder (08-12-2020)

It's definitely not a money thing.

I hate to say it, but it is kind of an ego thing, to say I have been published and also to leave a local legacy, at least among the people who like local history in this area, including the Historical Society where I volunteer. I've done some work for the society, but having a book with my name on it would be sort of concrete evidence that I had done something that might last beyond my time here.

I appreciate everyone's encouragement and advice. Time will tell how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Ask yourself what you want out of the experience. You will not recoup any money you put into it. The time will go. Writing is hard.

On the other hand, there is cache in saying you've published something.

There are several regional presses that put out the kind of book you are talking about and then sell them in gift shops. I would take a look at that kind of book and see if it fits what you have in mind.

15. Likes:

marcshoe (08-14-2020)

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

I can barely read a book, much less write one.

17. Likes:

Rojo (08-14-2020)

I believe marcshoe has written several.

Yeah, but after taking some time off to work on my dissertation, I'm radically revising a couple of them. I also have a new one ready to go, but it's a bit different (scifi) and I'm debating what to do with it. The one I'm revising right now was too busy, so I'm eliminating a subplot and doing something different with the characters that fits in more with the overall theme. The dissertation work changed the way I think about writing.

ORH has something new out, I believe, but I haven't picked it up yet. I have a couple of them, but haven't been able to read as much as I'd like.

fwiw, I haven't made much money self-publishing, but it has been a noticeable amount. But when you're broke, everything's noticeable.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

20. Likes:

UKFlounder (08-15-2020)

Thought ORH wrote at least three or four.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I've written about a third of one. Haven't added to it in years.
    Problem is I think about it every day.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

23. Likes:

Rojo (08-14-2020),UKFlounder (08-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I hope it was a sequential third. I tried writing every third word once, and it made little sense. I think that's what Thomas Pynchon does.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

25. Likes:

oneupper (08-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I've done the same with a screenplay. The problem with screenplays is always the second act. Yep.

But you're right, I'm always thinking about and, at 52, I know it's not going to happen. But there's a big part of me that's not sad for me, but for the screenplay, like a child, that will never see the light of day.

I read recently that the Cohen Brothers start a screenplay without knowing where the hell it's going. Wow. Maybe that's my problem, being to left-brained and not trusting the process.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I have not written a book (yet) but my wife has been published and has many friends who have as well.

Would it be a baseball book? Because if so, I have a fantastic idea for you.

Turn Off Ads?