Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: You know you're getting old when ...

Re: You know you're getting old when ...

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The iPhone is great and all, but on no planet does it have the computing power of even a medium grade gaming computer from 6 years ago. That computer would include at least a 3.5 GHZ quad core processor, 16 GB of RAM, and at least a 6 GB vRAM graphics card.

The current iPhone 12 has a 2.99 GHZ quad core processor and 4 GB of RAM.

That said, if you want to know how far computer tech has advanced in the last 6 years, take that hypothetical gaming rig I talked about above, and realize that for probably the same price, you can get a 12 or 16 core processor at 3.8 GHZ, 16 GB of RAM, and an 8 GB vRAM graphics card for the same price. While it's tough to compare games on that, when it comes to performing tasks - take something like video editing - the new machine is probably 2-3 times as fast at the task than the other one.
    My first PC was 286 8 mhz, had 4K of RAM and 20 mb hard drive... my modem to connect to work mainframe was 9600 baud which was an upgrade to the 300 baud audio coupler (where the phone handset was inserted into two rubber cups). And I was cutting edge, most guys had to drive into the office at 3am if their programs failed and operations called them. I had a co-worker who took out a second mortgage to buy a 386 PC with a motherboard that had a second processor port for a 486 chip. I remember having to set dip switches on the motherboard so the mouse wouldn't have conflicts with the modem.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: You know you're getting old when ...

...when you're the first one in your family to be notified you're eligible for a COVID vaccine.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-04-2021),MWM (03-10-2021)

Turn Off Ads?