Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: You know you're getting old when ...

Re: You know you're getting old when ...

You know you’re old when you knew people that were born in the 1800’s.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Likes:

919191 (10-30-2020),cincinnati chili (11-21-2020),cumberlandreds (10-28-2020),M2 (10-28-2020),RFS62 (10-29-2020),SunDeck (10-30-2020),westofyou (10-28-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I remember when Pete Rose turned 60.

That was unimaginable.
    My grandmother was hot for Pete Rose.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    During the Cleveland administration

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    The oldest person I ever met was when I was a little kid, and he was born in 1859. I was only four, but I still remember him sitting on the porch while my dad was at his house doing some ind of repair for him. He gave me a little packet of seeds to plant in the garden.

But one thing that really made me think is what my best friend told me. He will turn 80 this year, and he grew up in Alabama. But, when he was a little boy, there was an old man next door and his mom would send over soup and what not. As it turns out, he was a slave for the first 15 years of his life. It shows how we really aren't that far detached from slavery when there are still plenty of people walking around who actually knew slaves first hand. Of course, being a young boy it never occurred to him to ask questions about it, because that's how young kids are, but it would be interesting to bend his ear.

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (10-28-2020),Slyder (11-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    The oldest person I ever met was when I was a little kid, and he was born in 1859. I was only four, but I still remember him sitting on the porch while my dad was at his house doing some ind of repair for him. He gave me a little packet of seeds to plant in the garden.

But one thing that really made me think is what my best friend told me. He will turn 80 this year, and he grew up in Alabama. But, when he was a little boy, there was an old man next door and his mom would send over soup and what not. As it turns out, he was a slave for the first 15 years of his life. It shows how we really aren't that far detached from slavery when there are still plenty of people walking around who actually knew slaves first hand. Of course, being a young boy it never occurred to him to ask questions about it, because that's how young kids are, but it would be interesting to bend his ear.
    Interesting. I was first thinking about my grandparents who were born in the 1880’s and ‘90’s. But thinking about it, I have recollections from when I was a little kid (mid 1950’s) and being taken to family reunions in Pennsylvania where my dad’s mom was from. I vaguely remember some really OLD ladies there. My grandma lived to be 97 and there were other women in that branch that lived to be over 100. I probably met her mom (my great grandma) or other great aunts there. The men all died in their 50’s and 60’s but the women lasted a long time. I have an online family tree that I’ll have to go dig through.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I always liked this anomaly...

A grandson of 10th US president John Tyler, who took office in 1841, has died at 95

A grandson of 10th U.S. president John Tyler, who left office 175 years ago, died at age 95 last month, a historical anomaly of a family whose three generations span three centuries from the nascent United States to 2020.

Lyon Gardiner Tyler Jr., of Franklin, Tennessee, died Sept. 26, according to an online obituary. His daughter, Susan Selina Pope Tyler, told the New York Times he died of complications due to Alzheimer’s disease.

Tyler was born Jan. 3, 1925, more than 130 years after his grandfather John Tyler was born March 29, 1790.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

10. Likes:

cincinnati chili (11-21-2020),Spider Tre (10-29-2020)

When I was little I thought it was the coolest thing that my great-grandmother who lived with us was born in 1899. I've got a friend who's 47, and while it's not quite John Tyler level he's got grandparents who were born in the 1860s, which just seems crazy.

Edit: I was writing my post before I saw the John Tyler one pop up above this, too funny

12. Likes:

WrongVerb (10-28-2020)

The last person collecting a Civil War pension died just this last June 2020

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/5333830002/

They call me "chef"

...you start forgiving that kid that did all that dumb stuff using your name and likeness when you were younger.

15. Likes:

WrongVerb (10-29-2020)

When you go down a Wikipedia rabbit hole and discover that Tom Skerritt is 87.

Viper is 87.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

17. Likes:

Roy Tucker (10-28-2020)

I would call in song requests using a rotary phone while on a party line. Now that's old!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

19. Likes:

RFS62 (10-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I would call in song requests using a rotary phone while on a party line. Now that's old!
    I had to roll up car windows. I also had to wait ten minutes for one gif to download.........woe is me.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Do you remember the original faxes that were printed on the terrible thermal paper? Tell them if they printed out their homework and put it in the oven for an hour at 350, that is a what a fax looked like.

I was also telling someone a couple of weeks ago that you could actually have sex on the hood of your car in the Oregon District and not worry about cameras or smart phones, and that was less than 20 years ago. At least, that's the rumor I heard.
    speaking of camera's everywhere.....how did anyone get caught committing a crime before 2000ish? Everyone has played out how they would commit some horrible crime in their head after watching a movie or something.....and I can never make it past the random ATM camera picking up my car near that street around that time! I mean just to be able to commit a simple murder these days, you have to begin by stealing a car! There are literally people walking around on this planet because some dude gave up when he could not hot wire a car....
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I knew I was "older" but it did not help when I was moving my daughter into her college dorm this fall....and the upper classman volunteers on campus (of which many were little hotties in their early 20's) would speak to me like I was ancient or how I would imagine they speak to their grandfather!
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    speaking of camera's everywhere.....how did anyone get caught committing a crime before 2000ish? Everyone has played out how they would commit some horrible crime in their head after watching a movie or something.....and I can never make it past the random ATM camera picking up my car near that street around that time! I mean just to be able to commit a simple murder these days, you have to begin by stealing a car! There are literally people walking around on this planet because some dude gave up when he could not hot wire a car....
    Well, there are an estimated 250,000 unsolved murders, so it probably was easier to get away with it. But since most murders are done by someone the victim knew or by someone who had committed a crime before, I think DNA has been a bigger help.

Turn Off Ads?