Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Firesale?

Firesale?

There are many things in life, after reflecting on recent history, when things become obvious before they become reality.

-And the Reds are having a firesale.

The latter is what is most appropriate to discuss in this forum. So, if you are able to see the clear reality, and once you are able to get past the trying to figure out the why, what type of scenarios can we dream up with the who?

If Gray, Castillo, Suarez, and Moose are traded, that should demand an extremely healthy return from each. Which teams fit as good trade partners? Do these teams have intriguing prospects that we should have our eyes on?
    Could this possibly turn out right and have the Reds net a major return with prospects that are all but guaranteed to make this team great in a couple of years? Could these Reds, with the players they are willing to trade, and with the current prospect level talent they already have, become the greatest farm system in the league in short order?
    Last edited by David Cubbedge; 12-22-2020 at 01:36 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Firesale?

CAUTION:
    Content for better context was erased from this post.

If the Reds were having a fire sale, they wouldn't be trying to sign a SS. They would simply settle for Garcia, the unready.

What they are trying to do is make changes at the margin to both shrink payroll and remain competitive within a division that is not particularly strong. Toward that end, they are dangling trade chips. I doubt they will be successful in this tactic because 1) there are still too many ways for big market teams to improve their chances through FA signings, and 2) Small market teams are reluctant to give up top prospects and take on salary in this environment. I think most potential trade partners view the Reds as having to cut payroll and therefore have only made low-ball offers.

I am surprised that they would put pitchers on the trading block. Perhaps they are higher on in-house replacements than I am. Clearly, however, the pitchers have the most value. They may well trade one later in the off season.

Covid has left small market teams in a competitively worse position. The iffy outlook for 2021 requires reducing payroll risk. The major market teams are less affected and thus are in a position to take advantage of small market teams.

5. Likes:

DocRed (12-22-2020),Revering4Blue (12-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

7. Likes:

Chip R (12-23-2020)

To me, the Reds are listening on offers for any of their players. As it should be.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

9. Likes:

redsfanmia (12-22-2020),Revering4Blue (12-22-2020)

I’d have a lot easier time swallowing a Moose trade than I would Gray, Castillo or Suarez.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

11. Likes:

Benihana (12-23-2020),Crosley58 (12-28-2020),UK Reds Fan (12-22-2020)

When was the fire? I must have missed it.

fwiw, I have no idea what this team is trying to do.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    When was the fire? I must have missed it.

fwiw, I have no idea what this team is trying to do.
    Don't worry, you're not alone.

Turn Off Ads?