Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real Problem With The Reds

The Real Problem With The Reds

Does anyone think the real problem with the Reds is owner Bob Castellini? After going through a painful rebuilding process, he has the front office go on a two year spending spree on free agents and trading prospects for veterans. Two years later, now it appears to be they are cutting payroll. There is no direction here under his ownership and I think the Reds won’t be contenders till a new owner takes over. Opinions?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Likes:

Boss-Hog (12-19-2020),reds77 (12-19-2020),Redsfaithful (12-20-2020),Redsfan6272 (12-20-2020),savafan (12-21-2020),wally post (12-20-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Real Problem With The Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Does anyone think the real problem with the Reds is owner Bob Castellini? After going through a painful rebuilding process, he has the front office go on a two year spending spree on free agents and trading prospects for veterans. Two years later, now it appears to be they are cutting payroll. There is no direction here under his ownership and I think the Reds won’t be contenders till a new owner takes over. Opinions?
    I have heard that song prior, it could be true but I think it's the market size myself.

Everyone who buys in is local and everyone who buys in does it for the good of the city and having local ownership and all that rot... then everybody gets sticker shock when they see what the cost of running one of 30 businesses in the country in a market that is dwarfed by their competitors is like and they get conservative, which means they hire conservative people and the whole thing is slogged down again and again

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-19-2020),757690 (12-19-2020),BillDoran (12-20-2020),CarolinaRedleg (12-21-2020),Chip R (12-21-2020),Falls City Beer (12-19-2020),HokieRed (12-20-2020),Mitri (12-19-2020),Red Raindog (12-20-2020),RED VAN HOT (12-20-2020),RedlegJake (12-20-2020),Redsfaithful (12-20-2020),Revering4Blue (12-19-2020),Ron Madden (12-19-2020),Strikes Out Looking (12-19-2020),The Operator (12-20-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

"Don't you know who I work for?" -- Walt Jocketty.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I honestly don’t really think its Bob I think it’s the Williams brothers and the rest of the minority owners. Bob wants to win and be out front leading the cheers, I think the minority owners keep the purse strings tight, JMO.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

8. Likes:

757690 (12-19-2020),Wonderful Monds (12-19-2020)

I know one of the minority owners Frank Cohen of Blackstone, look him up

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I have heard that song prior, it could be true but I think it's the market size myself.

Everyone who buys in is local and everyone who buys in does it for the good of the city and having local ownership and all that rot... then everybody gets sticker shock when they see what the cost of running one of 30 businesses in the country in a market that is dwarfed by their competitors is like and they get conservative, which means they hire conservative people and the whole thing is slogged down again and again
    This is the conclusion I’ve come to as well. It’s just running through the bloodstream of the franchise. Incredibly cautious, short-sighted people.

11. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (12-20-2020),Revering4Blue (12-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    I still believe this ownership is close to putting the club up for sale.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (12-20-2020)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

To answer your question, Krusty, no, Bob Castellini is not the real problem with the franchise. The main issues plaguing the franchise for quite some time have been the overall inabilty to identify, acquire and develop talent on (at least) a fairly consistent basis.

I'm not suggesting that Castellini isn't culpible to some degree. It's the nature of the beast. But I'm not sure how the aforementioned issues circle back to him.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

15. Likes:

forfreelin04 (12-21-2020)

The problems with the outlook of the franchise have been around almost as long as the franchise itself, it didn't start with the Williams/Castellini group. Its a strain that ran through Linder, Schott, Nippert, Dewitt, etc...

17. Likes:

Chip R (12-21-2020),Falls City Beer (12-19-2020),Redsfaithful (12-20-2020),Revering4Blue (12-19-2020),westofyou (12-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    I still believe this ownership is close to putting the club up for sale.
    Won't change anything, it will be the same stuff, "LOCAL OWNERS ONLY!"
    Go Gators!

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-19-2020)

Biggest problem with the Reds is that they have never hired Krusty as their Director in Charge of Slobberknocker Development and Implementation
    Last edited by klw; 12-20-2020 at 09:31 AM. Reason: add missing words

21. Likes:

757690 (12-19-2020),Boss-Hog (12-19-2020),dfs (12-19-2020),Falls City Beer (12-19-2020),podgejeff_ (12-20-2020),REDREAD (12-20-2020),Revering4Blue (12-20-2020),wally post (12-20-2020),WrongVerb (12-19-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Biggest problem with the Reds is that they have never Krusty their Director in Charge of Slobberknocker Development and Implementation
    Facts

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    To answer your question, Krusty, no, Bob Castellini is not the real problem with the franchise. The main issues plaguing the franchise for quite some time have been the overall inabilty to identify, acquire and develop talent on (at least) a fairly consistent basis.

I'm not suggesting that Castellini isn't culpible to some degree. It's the nature of the beast. But I'm not sure how the aforementioned issues circle back to him.
    To be fair, that can also stem from excess conservatism. It took more than a decade before the organization started modernizing its operation.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    This is the conclusion I’ve come to as well. It’s just running through the bloodstream of the franchise. Incredibly cautious, short-sighted people.
    Have you ever met business owners from Cinci? I’m on a first name basis with the C-level of my Fortune 500 company. They are good smart savvy people. But they are conservative as all get out. They don’t take chances. They aren’t short sighted. They look at things on a 10-20-50 year basis. Not conducive for winning in MLB as a small-medium size club.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

25. Likes:

BillDoran (12-20-2020),Old school 1983 (12-20-2020),Revering4Blue (12-20-2020)

I couldn't reply "YES!" fast enough after reading the thread title.

He's meddled repeatedly in baseball operations because he wanted his favorite players re-signed, extended and/or not traded. The only reason he doesn't get more heat is because Mike Brown exists.

Turn Off Ads?