Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Offseason Slobberknockers

Re: 2021 Offseason Slobberknockers

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Agreed. But I like the concept of it. No way they’d give up on Lux unless Reds were sending Castillo their way.
    Probably right, but they would probably love to move Jansen's salary. Their starting pitching looks set to me. Kershaw and 4 young controllable guys in Urias, Buehler, May and Gonsolin. I'd take any of those 4 instead of Lux in the same deal. Otherwise, sub Joe Kelly for Jansen and Chris Taylor while adding another prospect (Jacob Amaya possibly) for Lux and I'd still do it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

Mitri (11-01-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

The premise of Jansen for Cast and Iglesias is a good start. Dodgers would then be making much better use of the $20 million or so salary expense. That’s LA’s benefit.

The issue is how the Reds get compensated with player value.

Lux I see as a no. So you’d have to formulate a package to compensate Reds with inexpensive player value.

I don’t see the deal if Dodgers keep Jansen. They probably aren’t acquiring $25 million in Reds contracts without a dollar trade off.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-01-2020 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The premise of Jansen for Cast and Iglesias is a good start. Dodgers would then be making much better use of the $20 million or so dollar spending.

The issue is how the Reds get compensated with player value.

Lux I see as a no. So you’d have to formulate a package to compensate Reds with player value.

I don’t see the deal if Dodgers keep Jansen. They probably aren’t acquiring $25 million in contracts without a dollar trade off.
    They owe Joe Kelly $12 Million counting his buy-out and Chris Taylor is set to make $7.8 Million. The money is almost the same.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    They owe Joe Kelly $12 Million counting his buy-out and Chris Taylor is set to make $7.8 Million. The money is almost the same.
    Ok. Still not sure Reds get enough player value back in the deal, maybe that could be worked out with the third piece from LA to Cin.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Ok. Still not sure Reds get enough player value back in the deal, maybe that could be worked out with the third piece from LA to Cin.
    I have it as Iglesias, and Castellanos for Kelly, Taylor, Peters, Fergusion and Amaya.

Peters would be the RF and Taylor would play 2B. Amaya would hopefully be ready for 2B next year when Taylor becomes a FA. Ferguson would be a lefty for the pen. I'd do that in a heartbeat if I was the Reds. My guess is LA wouldn't want to trade Taylor.

An Alternative might be Castellanos and Bradley for Jansen and Peters. That would be less money going LA's way and only one young player. The Reds could play Senzel at 2B. They have Goodwin and Shogo for CF. What the Reds don't really have is a competent RF whether they trade Castellanos or not. If Aquino isn't it (and I don't think he is), there isn't a RF for the future to be found. Shogo's arm isn't even as good as Schebler's or Winker's from what I saw, so he's not even a decent stopgap.

I know that nothing like this is likely to happen btw, but the Reds need to address the terrible fit of this roster. There are three DHs, a guy play8ing out of position at 2B and a 3B who is approaching the point of not being usable defensively over there. The entire RF side of 2nd base isn't acceptable with Votto, Moose and Castellanos manning those spots.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-01-2020 at 11:15 AM.

I have it as Iglesias, and Castellanos for Kelly, Taylor, Peters, Fergusion and Amaya.

Peters would be the RF and Taylor would play 2B. Amaya would hopefully be ready for 2B next year when Taylor becomes a FA. Ferguson would be a lefty for the pen. I'd do that in a heartbeat if I was the Reds. My guess is LA wouldn't want to trade Taylor.

An Alternative might be Castellanos and Bradley for Jansen and Peters. That would be less money going LA's way and only one young player. The Reds could play Senzel at 2B. They have Goodwin and Shogo for CF. What the Reds don't really have is a competent RF whether they trade Castellanos or not. If Aquino isn't it (and I don't think he is), there isn't a RF for the future to be found. Shogo's arm isn't even as good as Schebler's or Winker's from what I saw, so he's not even a decent stopgap.

I know that nothing like this is likely to happen btw, but the Reds need to address the terrible fit of this roster. There are three DHs, a guy play8ing out of position aqt 2B and a 3B who is approaching the point of not being usable defensively over there. The entire RF side of 2nd base isn't acceptable with Votto, Moose and Castellanos manning those spots.
    Just curiously, why are you sold on Peters being a solid MLB everyday RF?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

I know that nothing like this is likely to happen btw, but the Reds need to address the terrible fit of this roster. There are three DHs, a guy play8ing out of position at 2B and a 3B who is approaching the point of not being usable defensively over there. The entire RF side of 2nd base isn't acceptable with Votto, Moose and Castellanos manning those spots.
    I’ll take your word for it, I don’t know all these Dodger prospects that well.

I’m sympathetic to your desire for Reds to re-shape the team with more defense, speed, youth. I’m not sure this is the year to accomplish that. Too many financial restriction on teams, good player trades harder.

For this year, I’d like to see Reds sign some free agents on short, pillow deals. There should be a market for that.

Shortstop, catcher, CF-LF underperformed. SP likely to be missing Bauer. Those are among the areas to be beefed up. Healthy Senzel hopefully.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-01-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Just curiously, why are you sold on Peters being a solid MLB everyday RF?
    Well, I'm really not, but I'm anxious for the Reds to get out from under Castellanos and try to fix the team on the field. I like Peters because he has a 60 ARM and has been playing CF in the minors and is projected to be solid RF. Offensively, he's not ideal. He K's a lot and will have a low BA, but he has huge power and walks more than 10% of the time. I'm dreaming of a RH Adam Dunn who can play defense, but more likely a RF version of Adam Duvall (with a better OBP) during his Reds years. That's a huge upgrade from Castellanos IMO and the defensive gains made by freeing an OF spot for Winker, moving Votto off of 1B and Moose off of second is significant IMO. It's not like Castellanos 102 OPS+ was worth not only his defense but the domino effect that having him on the roster has at other positions.

I'd rather sign George Springer. if that's what you mean.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-01-2020 at 11:56 AM.

Well, I'm really not, but I'm anxious for the Reds to get out from under Castellanos and try to fix the team on the field. I like Peters because he has a 60 ARM and has been playing CF in the minors and is projected to be solid RF. Offensively, he's not ideal. He K's a lot and will have a low BA, but he has huge power and walks more than 10% of the time. I'm dreaming of a RH Adam Dunn who can play defense, but more likely a RF version of Adam Duvall (with a better OBP) during his Reds years. That's a huge upgrade from Castellanos IMO and the defensive gains made by freeing an OF spot for Winker, moving Votto off of 1B and Moose off of second is significant IMO. It's not like Castellanos 102 OPS+ was worth not only his defense but the domino effect that having him on the roster has at other positions.

I'd rather sign George Springer. if that's what you mean.
    You think Adam Duvall is a better player than Nick Castellanos?

Castellanos is not a problem. He had a down year in a small sample size season and he still basically carried the offense for 2 weeks as near the hottest player on the planet. If you want to trade a right handed bat, trade Suarez. Regardless of what you get back, which I think would be a lot, Moose goes to 3b and Senzel to second and Goodwin to center. You improve the leather without having to visit the leather tree outside of the organization. Sign a SS and you’re in business as far as the glove and team athletic ability goes. I’d really try getting a deal done around Suarez for either Pache or Waters as the main piece, and with at least one of their many lefty relievers as the second piece with Atlanta. Then use the FA money on bats that break the softball player mode the Reds seem to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    You think Adam Duvall is a better player than Nick Castellanos?
    Yes.

Castellanos just seems like one of those guys who puts up numbers on a lousy team but all the things he doesn't do prevent the team from moving to the next level. He'd be OK as a DH, but I'd rather have a guy who can play rather than just hit. The Reds have an urgent need for Votto to DH and between Castellanos and Winker, I'd rather have the cheaper Winker who I think has a higher offensive ceiling with his on base ability. Castellanos isn't worth a $15 Million+ salary.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-01-2020 at 02:21 PM.

Yes.

Castellanos just seems like one of those guys who puts up numbers on a lousy team but all the things he doesn't do prevent the team from moving to the next level. He'd be OK as a DH, but I'd rather have a guy who can play rather than just hit. The Reds have an urgent need for Votto to DH and between Castellanos and Winker, I'd rather have the cheaper Winker who I think has a higher offensive ceiling with his on base ability. Castellanos isn't worth a $15 Million+ salary.
    If Castellanos plays anywhere near his career norms, he’s opting out. Seeing he’s in his prime, that’s highly likely. Suarez is the guy that could bring back a haul and there are multiple 3b in the organization that could more there and improve defense all over the diamond without even factoring in the return or potential FA signings.

15. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (11-02-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    If Castellanos plays anywhere near his career norms, he’s opting out. Seeing he’s in his prime, that’s highly likely. Suarez is the guy that could bring back a haul and there are multiple 3b in the organization that could more there and improve defense all over the diamond without even factoring in the return or potential FA signings.
    Zips has Castellanos projected for 1.7 WAR next year. That's not even a starting caliber player and not worth what he's going to be paid. The Reds need put form under 2021 so they can fix the team and remove the possibility that they'll be stuck with 3 years of this.

I was excited by Castellanos when they signed him. After watching him, he was a mistake. This team has too many DH types and too many guys playing out of position. They need to fix it or they aren't going anywhere.

Zips has Castellanos projected for 1.7 WAR next year. That's not even a starting caliber player and not worth what he's going to be paid. The Reds need put form under 2021 so they can fix the team and remove the possibility that they'll be stuck with 3 years of this.

I was excited by Castellanos when they signed him. After watching him, he was a mistake. This team has too many DH types and too many guys playing out of position. They need to fix it or they aren't going anywhere.
    I agree with your overall point. I just think Suarez is the guy to move. Nets the biggest return and allows for lives already in house to shift to a much better defensive alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I agree with your overall point. I just think Suarez is the guy to move. Nets the biggest return and allows for lives already in house to shift to a much better defensive alignment.
    Except Suarez is the only guy on the Roster who might step up and be the MVP caliber player a team needs to win. They need to build around him. If they were going to rebuild with young players, I'd be all for trading Suarez for two or three young players, but if they do that, they should look to move Castellanos, Gray and Moose as well. I'm not up for a rebuild.

I think Castellanos was a mistake for a team that already had as many slow, bad baserunning, power hitting. defensively challenged players as the Reds do. Now they need a do-over. Dealing Castellanos accomplishes the same defensively. Votto can DH, Moose to 1B (or 3B with Suarez to 1B) and Senzel to 2B. The Reds don't have an in house RF unless they move Senzel there. Whoever they deal, a RF of the future is one of the needs. They need a SS for a couple of years, but at least Garcia is in house. RF has nobody. If Senzel stays in the OF, they need a 2B as well, but maybe India can be that. I'm a little skeptical of him to be honest.

Turn Off Ads?