Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor Kevin Cash

Re: Poor Kevin Cash

The last five World Series have featured the Dodgers, Rays, Nats, Astros, Red Sox, Cubs and Indians. I'd say analytics are doing pretty well for themselves.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Chip R (10-30-2020),Ron Madden (10-29-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    In his Cy Young season, he averaged 5.82 IP per start. Snell had reached the end of his rope. Cash's choices were all bad - Snell working on fumes or a bullpen full of relievers who could get tagged. He went with the fresher arms. Didn't work, but nothing was going to work. The Dodgers always score and Game 6 was not going to be an exception.
    Cy Young ain't what it used to be. If a guy can't even go 6 over 30 starts, he has no business winning IMO. You guys are changing my mind a little. Snell isn't the horse I thought he was.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

5. Likes:

M2 (10-29-2020),Ron Madden (10-29-2020)

The last five World Series have featured the Dodgers, Rays, Nats, Astros, Red Sox, Cubs and Indians. I'd say analytics are doing pretty well for themselves.
    Analytics do well getting you into the playoffs. Once in the playoffs, it’s a different story.

Also, outside of the Rays and Indians, that’s a list of big payroll teams.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Analytics do well getting you into the playoffs. Once in the playoffs, it’s a different story.

That's because the randomness of baseball makes small sample sizes more meaningful. But ignoring analytics would just decrease your odds in the playoffs.

And it's not all that different. The two best teams in baseball during the season made it to the world series. And the best team during the season won the world series. How is that a different story?

8. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-29-2020)

For the past five years it's been the same story - analytics win in the playoffs too. Not terribly surprising bigger market clubs would do better with it. That's kind of the story of this World Series. The Dodgers and Rays share the same analytic DNA. The Dodgers just are able to collect premium players to execute the game plan. I suspect with the filter of time it will seem increasingly unlikely this Rays team had any sort of shot at beating this Dodgers team. L.A. got to the Rays' pitching in every game. The irresistible force won.

10. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (10-29-2020),PuffyPig (10-29-2020),Ron Madden (10-29-2020)

For the past five years it's been the same story - analytics win in the playoffs too. Not terribly surprising bigger market clubs would do better with it. That's kind of the story of this World Series. The Dodgers and Rays share the same analytic DNA. The Dodgers just are able to collect premium players to execute the game plan. I suspect with the filter of time it will seem increasingly unlikely this Rays team had any sort of shot at beating this Dodgers team. L.A. got to the Rays' pitching in every game. The irresistible force won.
    Well, nearly every team is heavily analytical now, so of course an analytical teams do well in the playoffs. There aren’t any anti-analytical teams making the playoffs. Are there any anti-analytical teams left?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Well, nearly every team is heavily analytical now, so of course an analytical teams do well in the playoffs. There aren’t any anti-analytical teams making the playoffs. Are there any anti-analytical teams left?
    There's a few that seem to lean hidebound, but they're not very good (Orioles, Royals, Tigers and Rangers leap to mind). However, the seven that have been in the WS in recent years pretty much form the list of the leading analytics clubs. Those are wonk shops.

If analytics don’t work in the playoffs why is everyone adopting them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-29-2020),westofyou (10-29-2020)

can you imagine removing bob gibson after 5 innings

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    In 2020? Yep. And if Clayton Kershaw pitched in the 1960s, I can imagine him notching 3-4 no-hitters every year with an annual ERA below 1.00.

17. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (10-29-2020),Ron Madden (10-29-2020),westofyou (10-29-2020)

tom seaver , greg maddux had lower era's in the late innings than the earlier innings

tom seaver , greg maddux had lower era's in the late innings than the earlier innings
    I would posit a guess that generally pitchers are able to go further into games against poor offensive opponents more often than against difficult ones, and that statistic might be more telling about the distribution of opponents under the surface.

For Blake Snell, he absolutely does not follow that trend historically as he gets worse at each incremental time through the order and as his pitch count increases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Well, perhaps if they had limited him to 5 innings back then, he'd still be pitching for the Cardinals today and he might have led to into the world series.

again, kevin cash did not go with the analytics when he pulled snell ... he went against them.

why is everyone ignoring this fact? some of you need to watch that jomboy video. or watch it again and pay attention this time.

going against both common sense & analytics is a bad combination. and that's exactly what we witnessed in game 6.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Just saying, I’m glad David Bell for once wasn’t smoking what Kevin Cash was in game 1 vs the Braves, otherwise it would’ve robbed us of maybe the best single game pitching performance I’ve ever seen by Trevor Bauer.

Turn Off Ads?