Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pick three free agents for Reds’ 2021 team

Re: Pick three free agents for Reds’ 2021 team

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Costly?
    If I'm adding cost into the equation, I'd got with Semien and two scrubs.

Overpay to fix the black hole.

2. Turn Off Ads?

You trading both Barnhart and Casali? Is it Tyler Steve and McCann?
    Lord knows we can’t trade Barnhart or Casali!

Is probably something the Reds FO says.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

4. Likes:

REDREAD (11-03-2020)

You trading both Barnhart and Casali? Is it Tyler Steve and McCann?
    Trade Barnhart. Ideally there is a minor league season and Stephenson can get more seasoning and come up later in the year.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-29-2020),Kc61 (10-29-2020)

You want a sea change??? Stop shopping at the bargain table hoping to find a diamond.

Trevor Bauer. Get his name on a contract. Pay the freight.

Jose Garcia is not ready to face major league pitching. They need a shortstop. Talk to Galvis, Gregorius and Iglesias and make a choice based on price and expected production.

I don't know what it would take to get him here, but bringing Justin Turner back into the organization isn't the dumbest idea around. He can play 2/3 and DH. He gets on base like...well like Joey Votto. While he's not going to get better, he's been on top of the baseball world long enough that folks in the organization might listen to him.

Yeah, that would be fun.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Trade Barnhart. Ideally there is a minor league season and Stephenson can get more seasoning and come up later in the year.
    I like the idea of trading Barnhart.

Affordable contract for a relatively productive player at a defensive position. His value is likely as high as it's ever been.

9. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (10-30-2020)

Bauer, any if the SS will be fine, just add one one, and a Relief pitcher.

Spend the money on Bauer.

Keeping this staff, improving SS will automatically improve this team. Im fine with the catching, people undervalue defensively sound catchers who understand their pitching staffs. Ride the catching as it is now and Stephenson will get some time this year and take over as a starter the following season.

Quote Originally Posted by Red X View Post
    Bauer, any if the SS will be fine, just add one one, and a Relief pitcher.

Spend the money on Bauer.

Keeping this staff, improving SS will automatically improve this team. Im fine with the catching, people undervalue defensively sound catchers who understand their pitching staffs. Ride the catching as it is now and Stephenson will get some time this year and take over as a starter the following season.
    I agree on all points but Stephenson. Start him now. Keep Bauer. Sign a SS. Sign Hand. I think that’s a solid lineup.

12. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (10-30-2020)

The only way Didi is signing for only 2 years is if it's 25M$ per.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    We’ll see how much money is thrown around in free agency this year.

I doubt Didi will have very much leverage demanding multiple high priced years in this market.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-30-2020 at 12:19 AM.

15. Likes:

Old school 1983 (10-30-2020)

After the hit they already took, on top of the possibility of starting without fans or limited next season.

Im guessing there will be a lot of short term deals this off season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    No way. Didi will be lucky to get $50MM over 4 years let alone 2.

18. Likes:

HokieRed (11-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    He projects as something like a 3 win player. $25M per is definitely steep for a SS on the wrong side of 30, but $12.5M per is pretty light given his production. It's obviously hard to project salaries in light of the financial mess. That dynamic really trumps everything else to some extent. But in a typical offseason, I think he'd be looking at something in the $18-20M per year over 4 years.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I don’t think anyone is doubting that some of these FAs could get large LTCs in normal circumstances.

And in Didi’s case he took a one-year deal last time. He was coming off injury. I’m sure he was looking to 2021 for a long, rich contract.

The reality, though, is we’ll probably see many FAs take short deals at lower values now due to the COVID effect.

I’d assume that Realmuto, Springer, Bauer, can get serious LTCs. But beyond that, Reds might find short-term bargains. Didi could possibly be one - if Reds are able and willing to spend enough even for that type contract.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-30-2020 at 04:25 PM.

21. Likes:

M2 (10-30-2020)

The reality, though, is we’ll probably see many FAs take short deals at lower values now due to the COVID effect.

I’d assume that Realmuto, Springer, Bauer, can get serious LTCs. But beyond that, Reds might find short-term bargains.
    Good point.

If Cincinnati has earmarked $25M for free agents, I suspect they'll be able to get their pick from the SS market plus assorted helpful relievers (several of whom have already been released from contracts). They might even be able to afford Marcus Semien (or Gregorius or Andrelton Simmons) and Marcus Stroman (or James Paxton or Robbie Ray) and David Robertson (or Cam Bedrosian or David Phelps or Darren O'Day).

Even if they haven't earmarked that much, they should be able to find some relative bargains as most franchises play hide the cash and cry poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    You clearly misunderstood my comment. I didn't say he was getting 25M$ per, I didn't even say he was going to get 50M$ over the entirety of his new contract (though I will say it now).

I stated that he's not signing for only 2 years, if he were to do so you'd have to massively overpay him to do so.

If he signs for less than 3 years and 15M$ per I'd be massively surprised. Hell, I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a 4th year.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (11-03-2020)

Turn Off Ads?