Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pick three free agents for Reds’ 2021 team

Re: Pick three free agents for Reds’ 2021 team

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Hard to say given a number of variables but I'll go with James McCann, Didi Gregorius, and Greg Holland.
    Didn't have time to think of a pen arm but Didi and McCann were my immediate thoughts in terms of lineup upgrades.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    A suggestion is not an obsession.

Puig as a back-up player is cost effective. Righty bat meets a need and can platoon with Shogo. Plays defense too.

If you want, I hear Phil Ervin is available at the right price.
    I don't like the idea of "star" backups. Puig is going to want to play.

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-30-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    LHP Robbie Ray
    LHP Aaron Loup
    OF George Springer
    I'm changing two of my selections:

LHP Robbie Ray - One of the top starters on the market
    LHP Brad Hand - The top lefty reliever on the market
    SS Andrelton Simmons - A two year deal so he can help usher in the Jose Israel Garcia era in Cincinnati
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Brad Hand cleared waivers as per Heyman tweet.

Led AL in saves. Nominee for AL reliever of the year.

Nobody would take his $10 million contract off waiver wire.

These teams ain’t spending.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-30-2020 at 07:18 PM.

Neither Gregorius, Simmons, or Semien received a qualifying offer.

That avoids draft pick compensation. But it also might cause more teams to bid for them.

Unless Reds go for the Korean player in FA, I’d expect Reds to get one of these three shortstops.

8. Likes:

757690 (11-02-2020),BEETTLEBUG (11-02-2020),mth123 (11-02-2020),Old school 1983 (11-02-2020)

I’d love to re-sign Bauer, but that’s probably out of reach.

One of Semien, Gregorius, and Kim for SS is a must.

I wouldn’t mind a high-upside, cheap SP project for Derek Johnson to fill out the fifth spot in the rotation. Robbie Ray or Chris Archer might fit the bill.

After that, I’d look for a bench upgrade. As far as I’m concerned, only Goodwin and Farmer are locks for the 2021 bench at the moment.

I think the Reds aren’t going to do much with the bullpen. They made their 2021 upgrade at the 2020 deadline with Archie Bradley.
    Last edited by Alpha Zero; 11-02-2020 at 12:36 PM.

Outside of Didi, Semien, or Simmons, none of which I consider likely, I don't think we sign any notable FA.

If I'm making the decisions, I'd take whichever of those 3 takes the least total money. Simmons would be my preference, but either way, a long-term deal to a SS on the wrong side of 30 isn't the kind of bet I want to make.

If I actually had the payroll to do it, my dream combo of moves would involve signing Springer and then trading for and extending Lindor with package built around Senzel and Garcia. Practically speaking, I don't think there's nearly enough payroll space for that, especially given the pandemic, and the prospect cost is likely going to require Lodolo or Greene, which I would not want to do.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 11-02-2020 at 12:56 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I’m guessing the Reds will sign one of the shortstops, probably the least expensive one. Probably Simmons.

But an equally big issue is the Bauer spot. If they simply let him go, the rotation is likely Gray, Castillo, Mahle, Miley, and Lorenzen.

Not sure whether people think that’s sufficient. I think it’s iffy, could go well, could go bad.

I’d feel better with a pickup like Paxton on a one-year pillow contract. But then, Reds aren’t necessarily trying to make me feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If they simply let him go, the rotation is likely Gray, Castillo, Mahle, Miley, and Lorenzen.
    I'd guess they'd dumpster dive for a cheap alternative. With Johnson's reputation, there will be no shortage of interest.

Too, TeJay Antone was very, very good in 2020. He should be given a shot at that last starter's berth. So might Lodolo and Greene.

I'd be fine with trying out the possibilities first, then acquiring a big-time guy near the All-Star break. That, IMO, negates some risk (and often prospect cost).

Turn Off Ads?