Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Sean Connery

Re: RIP Sean Connery

Nobody will say it cuz the movie was cheesy (even tho most of us still enjoyed it), but he was great in The Rock.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-01-2020),Chip R (11-03-2020),GAC (11-02-2020),Kingspoint (11-01-2020),M2 (11-01-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

He had a four-year run where he made Zardoz, The Man Who Would Be King, Robin and Marian, and A Bridge Too Far. Toss in Outland, made four years later, and that's a movie binge day I need to have.
    Last edited by M2; 11-01-2020 at 01:10 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-01-2020),Stray (11-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Still the standard by which all Bonds are measured.
    He was the Beatles of James Bond. His successors couldn't come close.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Nobody will say it cuz the movie was cheesy (even tho most of us still enjoyed it), but he was great in The Rock.
    I liked a lot of his movies that others may not .... but not ever role can be as a rogue Russian sub commander or tough Irish Chicago cop

Name of the Rose, Robin and Marian, and loved his roles in The Green Knight, Highlander, and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

RIP Sean Connery. He had that movie star presence. Best roles were the Untouchables and Time Bandits.

I've always had trouble separating the art from the artist, and as feminist, Sean Connery the man offended me, but yea, he was a legend. I hope he and his brand of macho dies out with him and men of his ilk, but I do hope there are more legends like him. While it is easy to put down and label the Sean Connerys of the world in essays on feminism, one cannot entirely write off artists like him.

I know it was cliche, but Finding Forrester was one of his best. I rarely meet anyone who has seen it, but he did such as great job.

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-03-2020)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amyrich View Post
    I've always had trouble separating the art from the artist, and as feminist, Sean Connery the man offended me, but yea, he was a legend. I hope he and his brand of macho dies out with him and men of his ilk, but I do hope there are more legends like him. While it is easy to put down and label the Sean Connerys of the world in essays on feminism, one cannot entirely write off artists like him.
    Then you must not like much art.

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-04-2020)

Connery had the advantage of being the first Bond. He also played him in a time where the stuff he did was not only tolerated but celebrated. But Connery's abundance of charisma made it into the franchise that it became. In the hands of a different actor, there may have only been Dr. No and nothing else. I read in his obit that he was a good enough soccer player in the early 50s that he was offered a contract with Manchester United.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

16. Likes:

RedsBaron (11-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Connery had the advantage of being the first Bond. He also played him in a time where the stuff he did was not only tolerated but celebrated. But Connery's abundance of charisma made it into the franchise that it became. In the hands of a different actor, there may have only been Dr. No and nothing else. I read in his obit that he was a good enough soccer player in the early 50s that he was offered a contract with Manchester United.
    While very good, Connery was not necessarily the best actor to play Bond (I would probably name Daniel Craig as the best actor of the bunch), but he absolutely was the most charismatic actor to ever declare he was "Bond... James Bond." He dominated the screen.
    I have liked every actor who has played Bond on the big screen, even to a degree George Lazenby who was good in the action scenes if not so good otherwise. I was always a fan of Roger Moore, enjoying him in virtually everything he did, and I like Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan and Craig. However I agree with Chip: Connery made James Bond an icon. It's hard to think of another actor of his era that could have established James Bond the way Connery did.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?