Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: If the DH stays...

If the DH stays...

Who do you see being a better DH for this team? Votto? Winker? Or take a shot at signing Edwin Encarnacion? Or who else? I like Nelson Cruz but think he is staying in Minnesota.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If the DH stays...

The Reds already have three starting position guys who don’t defend well. Votto, Winker, and Cast. Each might be considered a DH.

So I don’t see them acquiring another DH. If anything, they should be acquiring two-way players who can defend.

One might suggest a RH hitting DH to platoon with Votto or Winker. But neither Votto nor Wink is a platoon player now, and if Reds acquire a RH bat, he should play a defensive position.

As between the two, Winker is the main DH. Presumably Votto will get some DH time as well. That lineup might change if there’s a trade and, obviously, would change if the DH isn’t adopted.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-31-2020 at 01:17 PM.

Winker or Castellanos should be DHing. No sane manager should be playing those two in the OF together on a regular basis.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

Chip R (11-02-2020),dabvu2498 (11-02-2020),Revering4Blue (10-31-2020),sdm24 (11-03-2020)

Of all the needs this team has the last thing they need to do is spend resources acquiring more guys who can hit but can't field. The reds need to visit the leather tree.

I know "staying healthy is a skill" is not a popular opinion on this board, but they need to figure out a way to keep Nick Senzel on the field so they can decide what they have there.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

7. Likes:

bm1475 (11-01-2020),M2 (10-31-2020),Old school 1983 (10-31-2020),REDREAD (11-02-2020)

If the DH stays...

I go.

I've never been a fan of AL-style baseball. I understood the need for using it this year, because the 2020 season was hijacked by the virus. But if it sticks around, I'm checking out.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Didn't miss a pitcher at the plate with a bat in his hand this year. Not once.

10. Likes:

BoxingRed (11-04-2020),goldglover9 (10-31-2020),HammerTime (11-03-2020),OesterPoster (11-03-2020),Puffy (11-02-2020),REDREAD (11-02-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Didn't miss a pitcher at the plate with a bat in his hand this year. Not once.
    Yeah honestly I thought I would despise it, but I ended up liking it a lot better than pitchers hitting. It turns out games are a lot more enjoyable to watch when you don’t have a bottom third of the lineup that’s basically useless coming up every few innings.

12. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (10-31-2020),goldglover9 (10-31-2020),REDREAD (11-02-2020)

I'm pretty sanguine about the OF as currently constructed:

Winker DH/ LF
    Castellanos RF
    Akiyama OF
    Aquino OF
    Senzel OF/ IF
    Goodwin OF

Goodwin's an excellent fourth OF, Aquino can provide pop off the bench and is a decent RH complement when one of the corner guys needs a blow, Akiyama can play all the OF spots well (and OBP well), and Senzel is a wildcard.

I'd play Senzel much more often as an infield backup at 2B and 3B and move Moustakas to 1B on the occasion that Votto is DHing.

There is a small hole at catcher (that should be filled by some combination of Stephenson and one of the guys on the team now), and there is a chasm at SS (that Garcia is likely less prepared to fill offensively).

If the Reds fail to get a good, quality SS, they aren't going to compete. If they do, they would seem to have enough other pieces to at least be in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    If the DH stays...

I go.

I've never been a fan of AL-style baseball. I understood the need for using it this year, because the 2020 season was hijacked by the virus. But if it sticks around, I'm checking out.
    I don't like it, but it's almost assuredly sticking around. However, I like you, so I hope you stick around too.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

15. Likes:

757690 (10-31-2020),Revering4Blue (10-31-2020),Spider Tre (11-01-2020)

I missed pitchers hitting, big time. It was easy to gloss over, because the season and the games were already surreal without fans, the fake crowd noise, the bizarre schedule, 7 inning games, the horrible extra inning rule, all the Covid talk.

None of it felt real to me, I felt like I was watching Arena Baseball, so you could have center field played by stand up comedians for every team, and it wouldn’t have bothered me.

I will wait until the game gets back to fans in the stands, normal schedules, regular rules before judging how I care about the DH.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

17. Likes:

Big Klu (10-31-2020),dfs (10-31-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I missed pitchers hitting, big time. It was easy to gloss over, because the season and the games were already surreal without fans, the fake crowd noise, the bizarre schedule, 7 inning games, the horrible extra inning rule, all the Covid talk.

None of it felt real to me, I felt like I was watching Arena Baseball, so you could have center field played by stand up comedians for every team, and it wouldn’t have bothered me.

I will wait until the game gets back to fans in the stands, normal schedules, regular rules before judging how I care about the DH.
    To each their own, but I will happily go the rest of my life without seeing rallies started by the middle of the order dying out as soon we get to the Galvis/Barnhart/pitcher chunk of the lineup. That’s about as dull as watching paint dry to me.

19. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (10-31-2020),BoxingRed (11-04-2020),HammerTime (11-03-2020),REDREAD (11-02-2020)

I hope the 2021 Reds can get 9 dhs instead of the 9 batters they used in a woeful hitting lineup in 2020.

I don't really like the dh, but I'll learn to live with it - however, I don't see the Reds signing anyone as 1/3 of their starting lineup most days are better suited to dh than playing the field.

21. Likes:

757690 (10-31-2020),Revering4Blue (10-31-2020)

I believe the owners will hold off on the DH in 2021 and use it as a bargaining chip in the upcoming CBA.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 10-31-2020 at 07:16 PM.

23. Likes:

Big Klu (10-31-2020),blumj (11-02-2020),Chip R (11-02-2020),cumberlandreds (11-03-2020),Revering4Blue (11-01-2020)

Knowing Manfred they will ditch the DH but make 7 inning double headers law.
    Go Gators!

I assumed the reason the DH wasn't already universal was because they going use agreeing to it as a negotiating tactic for the next CBA
    Last edited by blumj; 11-01-2020 at 11:13 AM.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

26. Likes:

Big Klu (11-01-2020)

Turn Off Ads?