Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If the DH stays...

Re: If the DH stays...

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Except he's never really been any good over there.
    Yes he has. In fact he was good to very good from 2017-19.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Some of you enjoy watching pitchers hit? That's just bizarre to me. I used to be an NL purist, but I've changed over the past several years. There is nothing enjoyable about watching one of your starting pitchers come up to hit with a couple runners on. Or the automatic sacrifice bunt attempt when the guy in front of the pitcher gets on. It's gross, and anyone who enjoys seeing it probably thinks the fullback dive is the best football offensive play call.

4. Likes:

HammerTime (11-03-2020),REDREAD (11-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Didn't miss a pitcher at the plate with a bat in his hand this year. Not once.
    Crazy that people prefer that instead of a real hitter at bat.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Crazy that people prefer that instead of a real hitter at bat.
    I like a game where teams have to make decisions and work around their limitations. AL baseball is paint-by-numbers boring at times. That was all of baseball this season and likely will be moving forward. My take remains it appeals to people who like MLB 2K more than baseball. However, the deal seems like it's done. You're getting your way. Try to act happy about it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

757690 (11-03-2020),Old school 1983 (11-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Some of you enjoy watching pitchers hit? That's just bizarre to me. I used to be an NL purist, but I've changed over the past several years. There is nothing enjoyable about watching one of your starting pitchers come up to hit with a couple runners on. Or the automatic sacrifice bunt attempt when the guy in front of the pitcher gets on. It's gross, and anyone who enjoys seeing it probably thinks the fullback dive is the best football offensive play call.
    It's so much fun when pitchers get clutch hits. It's so unexpected it's almost amusingarticula it is funny when ALpitchers doit in NLInterleaguegames. It made me happy that an NLteam signed the pitcherthat some sonsof sam horn n posters called Ricky Porky in their game threads https://youtu.be/iOnpl76ej8sThat wasn'tjust somuch fun becausehe was anALpitcher hiswhole career andhedid it against agreat pitcher, it's also fun because they were teammates and friends for mostoftheir careers
    Last edited by blumj; 11-03-2020 at 02:27 PM.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

For the NL style fans, which I still classify myself, its about the decisions that are forced by having the pitcher bat. For years I was where a lot of the people who oppose the DH are now. Most decisions though, are nearly as "paint by numbers" as having the DH is. Who to use as a Pinch Hitter? When to make a double switch? Who to put when the double switch occurs? etc. aren't really rocket science. Pretty much any fan who follows the team closely enough to be familiar with its roster knows what moves need to be made. A kid could ake those decisions. The one decision that was the really difficult one was whether or not to remove a pitcher for a PH in a close game. That decision has largely been lost even without the DH. The pitcher is coming out of the game whether you PH or not. In the 70s, 80s and early 90s, this decision made teh non-DH ball much more interesting than the DH ball for me. These days, that decision is largely a moot point. The pitcher is being removed anyway. Once baseball started looking like that. the strategic difference between the AL and the NL was almost completely gone. Yes, the NL style still has (had?) some routine administrative decisions with pinch hitters and double switches, but the consequences of those decisions, removing the top starter, are largely gone and the rest of what those moves consist of aren't really difficult or very consequential.

I'm at the take or leave it point with the DH. I just want the rule to be the same in both leagues. I don't think it's fair that an AL team can get some use out of a declining player who can't move around much anymore by sticking him in the DH spot while the NL has to suffer with that player on defense and any reduced production that may occur as the wear and tear of playing both ways mounts over 162 games. I think it gives the AL an edge when it comes to bidding for players on the FA market and a safety net that helps prevent a bad contract from becoming an absolute disaster in it's out years. I want to see that difference removed from teh equation. Either DH for all or for no one IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

REDREAD (11-09-2020)

To start with we had better hope that the DH stays. To spend more money on hitters that cannot field would be a serious lack of knowing what this team needs. Like already stated Castellanos, Winker and I will throw in Votto are less than average defensively. We definitely cannot afford to sign another sub par defender.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (11-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    Who do you see being a better DH for this team? Votto? Winker? Or take a shot at signing Edwin Encarnacion? Or who else? I like Nelson Cruz but think he is staying in Minnesota.
    Winker at DH with Votto being DH at least once a week.
    Gives Winker a chance to play everyday and gives Votto a chance to not play the field as much.

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Unless not being in the field turns Joey Votto into the young Joey Votto with the bat, how does he DHing help the team? If it takes Winker out of the lineup it doesn't help your offense, and if it puts Winker out in the field, it doesn't help your defense.
    Because I believe he’s going to be in the lineup regardless.

Votto had the worst play at 1B I’ve ever witnessed. I believe 100% Winker could do better at first than Votto did....that’s why.

15. Likes:

redsfanmia (11-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Votto's 2020 D stats are small sample hoodoo. I'm not putting stock in them.
    He’s now missing balls that get to him at shoe height. His footwork at the base is the worst I’ve ever seen. He cannot bail out an infielder on a bad throw....don’t care about his defensive stats. I don’t believe he’d win the position in college...I believe he’d be the DH

17. Likes:

mth123 (11-03-2020),Norm Chortleton (11-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Yes he has. In fact he was good to very good from 2017-19.
    You going by errors committed by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Because I believe he’s going to be in the lineup regardless.

Votto had the worst play at 1B I’ve ever witnessed. I believe 100% Winker could do better at first than Votto did....that’s why.
    Since Winker has never spent even a split second at 1st base, means 2 things. You have no idea if he could do better and up until now, that move has never been seriously considered. The question would be does Winker in left field with Moose or whoever at 1st base make a better fielding team than Votto at first and Winker not in the field. I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    He’s now missing balls that get to him at shoe height. His footwork at the base is the worst I’ve ever seen. He cannot bail out an infielder on a bad throw....don’t care about his defensive stats. I don’t believe he’d win the position in college...I believe he’d be the DH
    The next time Votto gets in front of a hard-hit ball or short-hop throw will be his first. Olé

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    Since Winker has never spent even a split second at 1st base, means 2 things. You have no idea if he could do better and up until now, that move has never been seriously considered. The question would be does Winker in left field with Moose or whoever at 1st base make a better fielding team than Votto at first and Winker not in the field. I don't know.
    No...I believe Winker could be better at 1st than Votto is now, not peak Votto but now Votto.

This is a loaded topic regardless. Reds are a terrible defensive team with 4 DH type fielders out there.

If Votto comes out and fields well I’ll admit it and enjoy it....I’d honestly be shocked if it actually happened though.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (11-09-2020)

It's not like some bad defensive OF have neverbeen taught to be good defensive 1bmen.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

24. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (11-04-2020)

Turn Off Ads?