Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 3: Let's just rename it Joe Burrow Stadium

Re: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 3: Let's just rename it Joe Burrow Stadium

First off ... deep, heartfelt prayers for Joe. I was bouncing back and forth between the Browns and Bengals games and actually didn't see the play where he got hurt. And I'm thinking, by simply listening here, that I probably don't want to see it. I still have vivid memories of watching Theismann's injury on MNF by Taylor.

Saw this this morning .... https://www.nfl.com/news/bengals-qb-...wer-leg-injury

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported that Burrow has suffered a torn left ACL, per the early prognosis, and that there could also be “additional damage.” The former LSU quarterback will undergo an MRI to confirm the diagnosis and also to find out what other injuries he may have suffered.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Best of luck to Burrow on a speedy recovery. It totally sucks to be a Bengals fan.

Gee, who could have seen this coming? Even Cleveland (as bad as they are) was smart enough to dump the Brown family back in the day. The Brown family is a curse on this city.

IF Burrow has a Bridgewater or Smith like injury - do you consider drafting Trevor Lawrence?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2020 Bengals Thread Part 3: Let's just rename it Joe Burrow Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    IF Burrow has a Bridgewater or Smith like injury - do you consider drafting Trevor Lawrence?
    Yes, but it’s a moot discussion.

Jets aren’t winning three games even if they do Jacksonville isn’t winning two. Both would take Lawrence if he’s available.

Then it comes down to Justin Fields. And then we are kicking the can down the road with fixing what got Burrow hurt in the first place.

I’m not sold that Lawrence doesn’t pull an Andrew Luck and go back to Clemson next year. He’s taking a risk by doing it but the Jets are as bad if not worse than the Bengals and seeing what happened to Burrow might give him and Fields pause to consider it.
    Last edited by WVRed; 11-23-2020 at 10:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

7. Likes:

dubc47834 (11-23-2020),RiverRat13 (11-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Mike Brown has a desire to win the issue is that his way is old and antiquated but he is too stubborn to realize it gets you 3-13.

I also think Burrow getting hurt saves Taylor's job...reason you have a QB who will be rehabbing for 9-12 months the last thing you want him to do on top of that is to learn a new offense. So unless you are going to pull the trigger on Joe Brady we are stuck with Taylor for another season.

I also think it is unfair to put the blame for this O line on Taylor and Turner...Tobin is the guy who should be answering those questions not Taylor.
    I'm not so sure the injury save's Taylor's job at all. In fact, I think it (hopefully) as the opposite effect.

I happen to be listening to Ken Broo this morning. Tim McGee was shredding Taylor/Jim Turner for the O Line. The national narrative echoes Tim's sentiments that Burrow's injury was simply a matter of time. When Dak went down for the year, it was an "unfortunate accident." For the Bengals, Burrow's injury is being positioned by the media as "not surprising" or simply an indictment of one of the worst offensive lines ever assembled. Most are blaming Taylor specifically for his mishandling. He didn't help his cause when he said the defense/offense didn't experience a let down after the injury yesterday. If you listened to Taylor on the post game show, he sounded like a guy who knows his chance to keep his job was carted off the field.

I personally hope they lose out the rest of the way. Someone better than Taylor will want that job with Burrow at the helm.

This all being said, I have zero confidence the Brown family business will be able to hire the right person to replace him. Rinse, wash, repeat. Diehard Bengals fans like us are Charlie Brown trying to kick that field goal.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Yes, but it’s a moot discussion.

Jets aren’t winning three games even if they do Jacksonville isn’t winning two. Both would take Lawrence if he’s available.

Then it comes down to Justin Fields. And then we are kicking the can down the road with fixing what got Burrow hurt in the first place.
    Good point. I would use my third or fourth round pick to pick up a solid QB and go into 2021 with him as starter, hope he pans out, and trade him when Burrow is ready for 2022 or 2023.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Good point. I would use my third or fourth round pick to pick up a solid QB and go into 2021 with him as starter, hope he pans out, and trade him when Burrow is ready for 2022 or 2023.
    How about Sam Darnold?

He’s going to get cut if the Jets do take Lawrence/Fields. I think Pittsburgh signs him as a backup to Roethlisberger given Juju was lobbying for him but if he has an opportunity to start and Taylor is coaching for his job by this point it might be worth it as a reclamation project.

He’s better than Finley but then again who isn’t at this point.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

But just to kick the idea of drafting a QB:

Lawrence, Fields and Lance are likely first rounders.

Zach Wilson, Kyle Trask, and Mac Jones are likely end of first round/second round picks.

Then you get into Jamie Newman who opted out this season but has mobility (think Wentz/Hurts in Philly)

Kellen Mond, Sam Ehlinger, Shane Buechele, Desmond Ridder.

Anyone you see?

Tankmaster Finley needs to do his thing for the rest of the season.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

13. Likes:

Benihana (11-23-2020),Hillsdale87 (11-23-2020),RiverRat13 (11-23-2020)

They need a backup anyway. I'd rather use one of those late round picks to trade for a Darnold or Rosen in the offseason than taking a QB in the mid-rounds.

Carson's knee injury was so severe that his surgeon even said it could have been career-ending. And he made it back despite the injury taking place 6 weeks later than Burrow's. Position players like Gio and Clint Boling have torn their ACLs during the season and made it back for camp. I'll be surprised if Joe doesn't make it back by then.
    Last edited by RiverRat13; 11-23-2020 at 10:54 AM.

15. Likes:

Benihana (11-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    "If you are looking for wins I can tell you I don't have talent, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills that I have acquired over a very short career. Skills that make me a nightmare for other fanbases who want a higher pick than the Bengals."

17. Likes:

Bob Sheed (11-23-2020),Hillsdale87 (11-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Understand that. Talking about next season when it’s 0-0 if Burrows injury is more severe than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    I'm not so sure the injury save's Taylor's job at all. In fact, I think it (hopefully) as the opposite effect.

I happen to be listening to Ken Broo this morning. Tim McGee was shredding Taylor/Jim Turner for the O Line. The national narrative echoes Tim's sentiments that Burrow's injury was simply a matter of time. When Dak went down for the year, it was an "unfortunate accident." For the Bengals, Burrow's injury is being positioned by the media as "not surprising" or simply an indictment of one of the worst offensive lines ever assembled. Most are blaming Taylor specifically for his mishandling. He didn't help his cause when he said the defense/offense didn't experience a let down after the injury yesterday. If you listened to Taylor on the post game show, he sounded like a guy who knows his chance to keep his job was carted off the field.

I personally hope they lose out the rest of the way. Someone better than Taylor will want that job with Burrow at the helm.

This all being said, I have zero confidence the Brown family business will be able to hire the right person to replace him. Rinse, wash, repeat. Diehard Bengals fans like us are Charlie Brown trying to kick that field goal.
    The Cowboys line has gotten progressively worse due to injuries and retirements so Dak getting injured wasn’t an “unfortunate accident”. Hell, Andy Dalton got a concussion the week after and they started a 7th round QB the following week and a career backup after that against Pittsburgh.

If Taylor does get canned I would offer Joe Brady whatever he wants. Is he likely the best candidate? Not by a mile but he knows Burrow and got the most out of him at LSU. And anybody worth their time is going to look elsewhere for a job.

Turn Off Ads?