Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 3: Let's just rename it Joe Burrow Stadium

Re: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 3: Let's just rename it Joe Burrow Stadium

Might as well...

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The only reason Zac Taylor will stay as coach of the Bengals is because the people who have to fire him are complicit in this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    The only reason Zac Taylor will stay as coach of the Bengals is because the people who have to fire him are complicit in this mess.
    4 wins in 2 season would be tough to survive but Rappaport has heard zero in regards to Taylor.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/gm-re...-taylor-future
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I don't know if Taylor is a good coach or not, but this is why I don't think he will get fired. What are they going to fire him for? Not winning enough with the worst roster in the league? Not protecting his QB behind a bad offensive line? The protection had been getting better. I think the offensive staff had been doing a pretty good job of either game planning or preparing the offensive line to get about as good a performance out of them as you could hope. But ultimately there's a limit to what you can do with sub-par guys.

ZT isn't going anywhere. Not sure he should. Not sure he shouldn't. But the #1 thing that mattered was Burrow's development and Burrow clearly flourished with ZT. The other #1 thing was Burrow's health and that...less so. Was that ZT's fault? I could certainly argue it is given his hire and support of Jim Turner and how little they did last off-season to bolster the line. It's not clear to me if he should go when you put all that in a blender.

As for Burrow, given Carson got back in time for August camp after a January injury that was also an ACL+MCL I will take a hard pass on Schefter's and a lot of other people's alarmism. Burrow will be back by September.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

As a Browns fan I do hope you get that OL turned around. But assembling a good one can be a finicky beast. For over a decade the Browns had a pretty bad OL (that’s generous) despite having a HOF LT entrenched there and constantly throwing draft picks and money at it. All of a sudden this season they are dominating. G Teller was below average last year but he worked on techniques apparently and now he is at an All-Pro level.

It truly is a matter of assembling a good group that works together and is coached well..at least that’s all I can conclude. It can’t be fixed solely by money and high picks.

I really hope Joe Burrow recovers and this is a blip in long successful career. The National narrative of how the Bengals are the worst ran franchise in all of sports and how they ruin all their players is just a joke. I know Mike Brown is a dinosaur but just look at the way the Jets, Jags, Lions, Washington football club and the Browns are ran. Just drives me crazy.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

9. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (11-23-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Might as well...

If we got Sewell, I could care less who we got with the other picks. They could all be busts for all I care and this draft would still be an "A+". Sewell is that good. An Offensive Tackle of his caliber has not been seen since Anthony Munoz.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Name:  9BF7ABA8-1102-4EAA-8FD6-DF94512047A1.png
Views: 189
Size:  180.0 KB

just horrible. absolutely horrible.

I think this sums it up pretty well...

"Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Yes...the Bengals need a ton of help on the line but wasn’t the injury just one of those freak things? It wasn’t like there was a massive bull rush and Joe got smashed. The OL fell on top of the DL who went into Burrow.

I’ll totally concede that if the OL was a stout wall and the DL doesn’t advance this doesn’t happen. But I’ve seen this described as “criminal.” A good part of it seems like it sadly is just “one of those things.” Big picture, yes, the OL needs improvement. But Burrow’s knee just about getting ripped off wasn’t necessarily bound to happen.

Totally correct me if I’m off base here.

Side note - I see no way how he would be ready for Week 1.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Yes...the Bengals need a ton of help on the line but wasn’t the injury just one of those freak things? It wasn’t like there was a massive bull rush and Joe got smashed. The OL fell on top of the DL who went into Burrow.

I’ll totally concede that if the OL was a stout wall and the DL doesn’t advance this doesn’t happen. But I’ve seen this described as “criminal.” A good part of it seems like it sadly is just “one of those things.” Big picture, yes, the OL needs improvement. But Burrow’s knee just about getting ripped off wasn’t necessarily bound to happen.

Totally correct me if I’m off base here.

Side note - I see no way how he would be ready for Week 1.
    As #2 in passing attmpts going into the game, and most of them not from the shotgun so he could avoid hits as much as possible, it was inevitable that this would happen. We said this before the season...that he will be forced to throw it too often increasing the number of hits he takes and the chances of a massive injury. Fewer attempts and better protection would have avoided this. It was criminal and inexcusable, and had absolutely nothing to do with bad luck, and everything to do with pure ignorance.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

15. Likes:

Bob Sheed (11-24-2020),RedsBaron (11-24-2020),Revering4Blue (11-24-2020),Roy Tucker (11-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    As a Browns fan I do hope you get that OL turned around. But assembling a good one can be a finicky beast. For over a decade the Browns had a pretty bad OL (that’s generous) despite having a HOF LT entrenched there and constantly throwing draft picks and money at it. All of a sudden this season they are dominating. G Teller was below average last year but he worked on techniques apparently and now he is at an All-Pro level.

It truly is a matter of assembling a good group that works together and is coached well..at least that’s all I can conclude. It can’t be fixed solely by money and high picks.
    Amen brother! And one thing that doesn't help that development, that gelling and working together as one unit, and is very counter-productive, is constsntly rotating HCs and systems (in the Brown's case). You can go back to when the Browns re-entered the league, and go from there. And while they had multiple issues, one of the most glaring errors was being able to develop a solid O-line. And look at the 1st rounders we drafted over the years. Joe Thomas was one of the best drafted, but the Browns also hit the market a lot to shore it up, make it better. This is basically the same Brown's O-line, with a couple minor tweaks, as last year that struggled badly.

Like the Browns, I think the Bengals got burned on some recent drafts these last few years when it came to their O-line. Injuries have also plagued them.

I don't care how much talent you have. You can have top-flight talent at QB, RB, and receiving corp. If your O-line sucks you ain't going anywhere when you can't control the line of scrimmage, protect the QB, and allow time for the play to develop. When your O-line is bad, it brings bad consequences that spread to every other aspect of the game.

When I got up this morning and read to what extent Joe's injury was I was sorely saddened. They say 9-12 months, but the main thing is, and I know it sucks - don't rush him back, because you could then risk this young QBs career. Rush him back to what?

But it also pee'd me off reading about how the Bengals organization had pinned all their hopes on who they felt was a sure-fire franchise QB - yet did very little to protect their "investment" while throwing him to the fire. And as the season wore on, we all saw the number of times each week he was either getting nailed or under pressure, yet was handling it very well and was excelling as best he could under the circumstances. I admired this young man.

The Bengals have some solid offensive weapons, and especially in their receiving corp. And as mentioned, he was excelling in Taylor's system. But my Gawd! If this FO can't see their hand in front of their face, that their biggest issue is this O-line, address it and see what happens, then I don't know what to say. But doing that would take this team a long way.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-24-2020 at 04:20 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

17. Likes:

Bob Sheed (11-24-2020),RedsBaron (11-24-2020)

I know it's a fool's errand to be optimistic about this franchise, but here's an optimist's scenario:

- Burrow's injury - regardless of when he comes back in 2021, the beginning of the season or mid-season - isn't career threatening and doesn't damage his ceiling potential
    - The Bengals are able to draft Penei Sewell, something that almost certainly wouldn't have been possible without Burrow's injury. In many years, Sewell would be a #1 overall pick, which is also a stroke of luck, with two very good QB prospects on the board and two QB-hungry teams likely to be drafting 1-2. Sewell/Hopkins/Williams provides a base for a top-10 offensive line over the next several years.
    - Having the #3 pick in each round leads to another solid draft with several hits, similar to the 2020 draft
    - The Bengals are active again in free agency and continue turning over the roster. Too much money in the past several years has gone to players who haven't delivered on their contracts, and this continues to shift in a positive way, hopefully with better injury luck.
    - Smart moves are made with new contracts, like a Bates extension.

I think this is a recipe that would see an open window starting in 2022 that would last for several years, at least, and it's all fairly plausible, even for a franchise with very dumb ownership like the Bengals.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

19. Likes:

Bob Sheed (11-24-2020),GAC (11-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    As #2 in passing attmpts going into the game, and most of them not from the shotgun so he could avoid hits as much as possible, it was inevitable that this would happen. We said this before the season...that he will be forced to throw it too often increasing the number of hits he takes and the chances of a massive injury. Fewer attempts and better protection would have avoided this. It was criminal and inexcusable, and had absolutely nothing to do with bad luck, and everything to do with pure ignorance.
    The Bengals have been in shotgun on 78% of plays this season. They were doing what they could from a scheme standpoint to limit his hits, and it had been working recently. I think the idea that this was inevitable is overstating things. Yes, he was behind a bad OL, but plenty of QBs have been behind really bad OLs and not suffered season ending injuries. Burrow took a lot of hits this year, but a fair number of those are on him from trying to do too much, holding the ball too long, and then getting rocked. They had fixed a lot of issues the last few games. Burrow got crushed against the Chargers, Eagles, and Ravens, but both he and the offensive line had made improvements recently that led to him taking fewer hits. The line is far from perfect, but to me this falls more into back luck than coaching staff stupidity.

Turn Off Ads?