Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 3: Let's just rename it Joe Burrow Stadium

Re: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 3: Let's just rename it Joe Burrow Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by ScotlandRed View Post
    Attachment 16751

just horrible. absolutely horrible.
    Schefter did not say torn PCL. And that is not reported anywhere else. Joe will be back next year. Whether it is Week 1 or Week 6 may be up for grabs, but he will be back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Welp.

Not surprising, we were tipped off by the OL coach hire.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Welp.

Not surprising, we were tipped off by the OL coach hire.
    I want Zac gone and am not surprised that Turner is still an awful human, but overall that was a poorly written article that seemed lightly sourced. But I thought I'd still share.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I want Zac gone and am not surprised that Turner is still an awful human, but overall that was a poorly written article that seemed lightly sourced. But I thought I'd still share.
    Glad you did.

If Mike Brown does can Taylor (which I would be shocked if he did), who in their right mind would take this clown show?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

7. Likes:

redsfandan (11-24-2020)

I see people saying that on Twitter and I don't really get it, seems like a pretty normal way for handling sources in a situation where it would hurt them to be named. And it seemed to be multiple sources.

There's a couple of bombshells in there that really shouldn't be ignored.

Hiring Turner has always been such a clear demonstration of bad judgment. It's really all you needed to know about Zac Taylor. Finding out Turner is a racist idiot on top of everything else isn't surprising, but god.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    who in their right mind would take this clown show?
    Like 99% of people hoping for their first shot as a head coach.

10. Likes:

forfreelin04 (11-24-2020),redsfanmia (11-24-2020),Revering4Blue (11-24-2020)

Last thought because I don't want to monopolize the thread - the concern is the lack of communication that the article describes, something that I've seen as a low-grade warning sign for a long time now. When you have players complaining who are as diverse in personality as Andy Dalton, Carlos Dunlap, John Ross, Geno Atkins (this one is my speculation since he doesn't talk to media), Billy Price apparently (I'm reading he liked a tweet yesterday from a national writer saying the Bengals should hire a new coach) that says a lot.

Taylor really doesn't strike me as a leader in the most basic sense. So much of this is the kind of stuff you see when someone is in over their head - my hope had been that he might grow into the role, but they really need to move on, even though I don't think they will until 2022.

12. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (11-24-2020)

I know it's a fool's errand to be optimistic about this franchise, but here's an optimist's scenario:

- Burrow's injury - regardless of when he comes back in 2021, the beginning of the season or mid-season - isn't career threatening and doesn't damage his ceiling potential
    - The Bengals are able to draft Penei Sewell, something that almost certainly wouldn't have been possible without Burrow's injury. In many years, Sewell would be a #1 overall pick, which is also a stroke of luck, with two very good QB prospects on the board and two QB-hungry teams likely to be drafting 1-2. Sewell/Hopkins/Williams provides a base for a top-10 offensive line over the next several years.
    - Having the #3 pick in each round leads to another solid draft with several hits, similar to the 2020 draft
    - The Bengals are active again in free agency and continue turning over the roster. Too much money in the past several years has gone to players who haven't delivered on their contracts, and this continues to shift in a positive way, hopefully with better injury luck.
    - Smart moves are made with new contracts, like a Bates extension.

I think this is a recipe that would see an open window starting in 2022 that would last for several years, at least, and it's all fairly plausible, even for a franchise with very dumb ownership like the Bengals.
    If they could just trade Mixon for a bunch of picks, they would really be looking like the Jimmy Johnson Cowboys.

Back down to reality though, I mostly agree with you.
    Get Burrow back healthy. Draft Penei Sewell. Use this draft and next to shore up the defense. Then maybe 2022 Joe Burrow will finally be 100 percent enough for the Steelers to cheap shot him into another season-ending injury.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Kremchek strikes a balance between optimism and reality.

Dr. Timothy Kremchek explains what Bengals QB Joe Burrow's recovery might look like

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ck/6386307002/
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Like 99% of people hoping for their first shot as a head coach.
    Don’t get me wrong the Bengals would get “somebody” and that person may or may not be better than what we have.

Problem is the Bengals are going to be at the bottom of the NFL pecking order for getting a new coach. The Jets with Trevor Lawrence is going to be a better job. Atlanta is a better job. Texans even without draft picks have DeShaun Watson. The Jaguars, Lions, Bears, and possibly Denver could be making changes.

It’s kind of a prisoner dilemma to fire Taylor. Yes his track record is horrible but he has gotten the most out of Burrow. That said he is responsible for bringing in the coach for this offensive line that got Burrow injured in the first place. The Bengals need a veteran coach who can fix the toxic culture in the locker room and those coaches aren’t coming here. I’d like Joe Brady but taking a chance on a first time coach with an offensive background is akin to Zac Taylor 2.0
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    If they could just trade Mixon for a bunch of picks, they would really be looking like the Jimmy Johnson Cowboys.

Back down to reality though, I mostly agree with you.
    Get Burrow back healthy. Draft Penei Sewell. Use this draft and next to shore up the defense. Then maybe 2022 Joe Burrow will finally be 100 percent enough for the Steelers to cheap shot him into another season-ending injury.
    Mixon would get traded for pennies at this point. The NFL doesn’t value running backs like they did with Herschel Walker.

Part or me kinda hopes the Jaguars take Sewell and the Bengals trade down and stockpile picks. It’s not happening though.

17. Likes:

Bob Sheed (11-24-2020),Revering4Blue (11-24-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Don’t get me wrong the Bengals would get “somebody” and that person may or may not be better than what we have.

Problem is the Bengals are going to be at the bottom of the NFL pecking order for getting a new coach. The Jets with Trevor Lawrence is going to be a better job. Atlanta is a better job. Texans even without draft picks have DeShaun Watson. The Jaguars, Lions, Bears, and possibly Denver could be making changes.

It’s kind of a prisoner dilemma to fire Taylor. Yes his track record is horrible but he has gotten the most out of Burrow. That said he is responsible for bringing in the coach for this offensive line that got Burrow injured in the first place. The Bengals need a veteran coach who can fix the toxic culture in the locker room and those coaches aren’t coming here. I’d like Joe Brady but taking a chance on a first time coach with an offensive background is akin to Zac Taylor 2.0
    Agree about the Jets. Disagree about the other jobs being definitively better. Burrow makes a huge difference.

The word is that Mike Brown wanted Vance Joseph while Duke and Katie wanted Zac. My guess is that if they can Zac, Joseph will be the next head coach.

Re: picks - my dream scenario (which has about 1% of a chance to happen) - Jags find two more wins, WAS and CIN lose out. Draft order is NYJ, CIN, WAS, JAX. Trey Lance does well enough in workouts to be considered worthy of a top 5 pick, but Fields is clearly ahead of him. Bengals could then bluff WAS and JAX into giving up a pick to move up while still being assured of Sewell.
    Last edited by RiverRat13; 11-24-2020 at 12:47 PM.

Schefter did not say torn PCL. And that is not reported anywhere else. Joe will be back next year. Whether it is Week 1 or Week 6 may be up for grabs, but he will be back.
    Exactly. I was alarmed when I read this tweet before bed last night since no one else had repeated Schefter saying this. I watched the replay of what he said this morning, and he did not say torn PCL or meniscus - he mentioned damaged. Neither is good on top of the torn ACL and MCL, but a torn PCL in particular would make it worse.

20. Likes:

RiverRat13 (11-24-2020)

Agree about the Jets. Disagree about the other jobs being definitively better. Burrow makes a huge difference.

The word is that Mike Brown wanted Vance Joseph while Duke and Katie wanted Zac. My guess is that if they can Zac, Joseph will be the next head coach.
    I don’t disagree but at the end of the day it’s still Cincinnati. Out of those teams which one hasn’t won a playoff game since the 90s and lacks a roster capable of doing so?

Wasn’t a fan of Joseph before because I wanted a departure from the Marvin Lewis era. Seeing what Zac has brought and hopefully Joseph working with Kingsbury would bring something positive.

Turn Off Ads?