Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 3: Let's just rename it Joe Burrow Stadium

2020 Bengals Thread Part 3: Let's just rename it Joe Burrow Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    If they were going for the full tank they would keep playing Finley.
    I’ll reserve further judgment til Sunday. Doesn’t seem at this point like one is better than the other.

I’d say Taylor is coaching for his job at this point but there isn’t a QB on the roster other than Burrow who could win the winnable games left on the schedule.
    Last edited by WVRed; 11-25-2020 at 08:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 3: Let's just rename it Joe Burrow Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Wow, must be going for the full tank.

At least Allen does have experience starting. Started three games for Denver last year.
    Allen's line for those 3 games last year?

39-84 515 yds, 3TDs 2 INTs

Finley is the TankMaster, completely in over his head in the NFL. Allen is an unproven journeyman with at least the potential for upside.

We know what we have with Finley. Allen, we're pretty sure... but who knows.

That being said, this is just Zac Attack trying to save his job, primarily. Under the guise of "let's kick the tires on this Allen kid."

My gut tells me Taylor has already lost the locker room. I'm not sure what that even means nowadays though. There's no tanking, everyone will do their best. What you won't see in scenarios like these, which is good, is players "going the extra mile" leaving themselves open to take shots, etc.

Again, this is good. Because what we don't want to happen, is for the Bengals Dead Cat Bounce their way out of getting Sewell, or for someone else to get seriously injured.

A season of 3 and outs with Finley running the option offense would prevent either of these from happening, more or less. But hopefully, Allen at QB can accomplish the same thing.

Basically, tanking is not an option. They just have to be completely ineffective, even against opponents that are completely ineffective.

And I think these Bengals are up for the anti-challenge. Lose big or go home.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 11-25-2020 at 10:07 AM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

4. Likes:

Benihana (11-25-2020),WVRed (11-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Mike Garafalo reports Bengals are going to start Brandon Allen at QB and not Finley.
    Good, because I was beginning to worry we didn't have enough NFL QBs named Allen.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-25-2020)

Allen played for the Rams before coming to the Bengals via Denver...

This is more a further indictment of Tobin and wasted draft picks...as Finley is not anywhere close to being an average NFL QB..

Price, Ross, Finley all wasted picks.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

8. Likes:

Boss-Hog (11-25-2020),Kingspoint (11-25-2020),Todd Gack (11-25-2020)

I’d say Taylor is coaching for his job at this point but there isn’t a QB on the roster other than Burrow who could win the winnable games left on the schedule.
    On most teams, maybe. On the Bengals? Probably not. I'm fine with him next year, too, anyway. This season is a punt while next season may be, too.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

What happened? Nobody all of a sudden goes from making great selections or influencing the decisions to making bad selections or being poor at influencing decisions AFTER they get a promotion (Asisstant to the Asisstant General Manager).
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

If you read the discussion, this was only if Burrow had an injury that would sideline him longer than this season. And the only QB that would even factor into the discussion is Trevor Lawrence. It’s a moot point though because the highest the Bengals will likely pick is three and the Jets and Jaguars will take him and Fields.

The only discussion I would see would be drafting one in rounds 3-5 or signing a quality backup who could start if need be. That’s why I mentioned Sam Darnold.
    I replied to the wrong person...
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Gio with a concussion.

When?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    What happened? Nobody all of a sudden goes from making great selections or influencing the decisions to making bad selections or being poor at influencing decisions AFTER they get a promotion (Asisstant to the Asisstant General Manager).
    I think the lack of scouting resources has caught up with Tobin...he has a small staff to work with, and a slim margin of error as a result.

14. Likes:

GAC (11-26-2020),Kingspoint (11-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I think the lack of scouting resources has caught up with Tobin...he has a small staff to work with, and a slim margin of error as a result.
    His great drafts were when he was still seeing players in person. As an administrator removed from the direct contact with players, his analysis of the information given to him and his ability to decipher his scouts opinions from correct to incorrect seemed to be where he has failed. His first couple years as Head of Scouting were still close enough on a timeline where he would have been in recent close contact with college coaches and having still seen many of the draftees when they were freshman and sophomores. It seems like he's not good at all as a Head of Scouting, but was better suited as an on-the-ground scout where he has direct contact with players and coaches.

16. Likes:

Bob Sheed (11-26-2020),Revering4Blue (11-26-2020)

You can't cut corners in such a crucial area for the sake of saving a few bucks. So Marge Schott!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Dehner wrote about fixing the line in the Athletic

There will be real options that cost money. Prioritizing the line could easily have this as your protection for Burrow next year.

• LT: Penei Sewell — Hakeem Adeniji
    • LG: Xavier Su’a Filo (or Quinton Spain or Michael Jordan)
    • C: Trey Hopkins — Billy Price or BJ Finney
    • RG: Joe Thuney — Su’a-Filo/Spain/Jordan
    • RT: Jonah Williams — Bobby Hart/Fred Johnson/mid-round pick

I could definitely live with this...add a pass rusher and corner in the 2nd and 3rd and you have a nice path forward.

I also thing Adjeiji is athletic enough to play guard

Mike Brown might choke paying a guard that much.

19. Likes:

Bob Sheed (11-26-2020),Kingspoint (11-26-2020)

Dehner also talked about the Ace in the hole Nick Cosgray who will be working with Burrow on his rehab.

Here is an article from 2017 detailing his importance to this team.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...hab/535935001/

Further Proof of a Bengals curse...

13 of the last 14 Bengals picks have failed to play a full 16 game season

Credit to Dehner and Morrison.

Dehner wrote about fixing the line in the Athletic

There will be real options that cost money. Prioritizing the line could easily have this as your protection for Burrow next year.

• LT: Penei Sewell — Hakeem Adeniji
    • LG: Xavier Su’a Filo (or Quinton Spain or Michael Jordan)
    • C: Trey Hopkins — Billy Price or BJ Finney
    • RG: Joe Thuney — Su’a-Filo/Spain/Jordan
    • RT: Jonah Williams — Bobby Hart/Fred Johnson/mid-round pick

I could definitely live with this...add a pass rusher and corner in the 2nd and 3rd and you have a nice path forward.

I also thing Adjeiji is athletic enough to play guard

Mike Brown might choke paying a guard that much.
    I love this. This would be my plan. I would still be in search through Free Agency for an elite C. The two tackle in this scenario combined with an elite C would allow for the Bengals to find Guards at the league minimum salaries who would give the line what it needs while sandwiched between all-pros at C and T. There's no such thing as "good enough" at C for me. I like going elite C, elite LT, above avg RT and journeymen at G.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 11-26-2020 at 07:18 PM.

Turn Off Ads?