Turn Off Ads?
Page 41 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 3: Let's just rename it Joe Burrow Stadium

Re: 2020 Bengals Thread Part 3: Let's just rename it Joe Burrow Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Since 2016 they’ve invested high draft picks in Ogbuehi, Jake Fisher, Billy Price, and Jonah Williams. This isn’t counting trading back to pick up Price and picking up Cordy Glenn in the process.

It’s not for lack of trying in fixing the offensive line. They’ve just whiffed on every pick they’ve made in what is considered the safest position to draft.
    I completely agree with you, though Ogbuehi and Fisher were in 2015. It doesn't change your point, though. Jonah has had some bad luck with injuries, but unlike the others, I think he'll be solid, at a minimum.

2. Likes:

RiverRat13 (12-15-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Since 2016 they’ve invested high draft picks in Ogbuehi, Jake Fisher, Billy Price, and Jonah Williams. This isn’t counting trading back to pick up Price and picking up Cordy Glenn in the process.

It’s not for lack of trying in fixing the offensive line. They’ve just whiffed on every pick they’ve made in what is considered the safest position to draft.
    Happens when you have the smallest scouting dept in the NFL.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

5. Likes:

forfreelin04 (12-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Happens when you have the smallest scouting dept in the NFL.
    Ogbuehi was a reach with major boom or bust potential. We saw how that one ended up. Bengals trying to outsmart the draft and it backfired.

Fisher at that time was projected to be a first round pick who slid into the second round. Could have been a great value pick aka Rey Ma’aluga had he worked out.

Billy Price was a reach only because I believe the player the Bengals targeted went right before they picked (Frank Ragnow). Panic move.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

7. Likes:

RiverRat13 (12-16-2020)

I am unsure as to why everyone is so down on Zac Taylor. In all likelihood, he will be singularly responsible for the Bengals getting both Joe Burrow and Penei Sewell. That is quite a coup.

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Seriously? Most average coaches would’ve won the Chargers, Colts, Eagles and second Browns game. In other words they would’ve had 6 or 7 wins before Burrow went down.

There is talent on the roster. Carroll or Belichick would have this team in the playoffs next year for sure, and may have been this year. I think, with the combination of Burrow/Boyd/Higgins/Sewell on offense and the Brown family’s loyalty, it’s actually a really attractive coaching gig right now. They should be able to get whoever they want.
    Belicheck bombed with Cleveland for a reason...ownership. He currently has a very supportive owner in Robert Kraft who lets him run the show. Mike Brown while he has loosened the reigns still shows up at the office every day and he still has a hand in the operation. That is the #1 reason no top flight coach will ever come to the Bengals

11. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I am unsure as to why everyone is so down on Zac Taylor. In all likelihood, he will be singularly responsible for the Bengals getting both Joe Burrow and Penei Sewell. That is quite a coup.
    If only he didn't have to be the coach while being so incompetent.

Seriously, at a minimum, if he sticks around and isn't forced to get rid of Jim Turner, then drafting Sewell will probably be a waste. Turner is offensive line coaching anthrax.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

13. Likes:

RiverRat13 (12-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    If only he didn't have to be the coach while being so incompetent.

Seriously, at a minimum, if he sticks around and isn't forced to get rid of Jim Turner, then drafting Sewell will probably be a waste. Turner is offensive line coaching anthrax.
    Sewell will tell Turner to stuff it. There will be a butting of heads and Turner will lose.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Sewell will tell Turner to stuff it. There will be a butting of heads and Turner will lose.
    If Turner and Hooch are still employed by the time Sewell is drafted, it won't matter what Sewell says or does.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

16. Likes:

RiverRat13 (12-16-2020)

A football genie appears and gives you two choices:

1 - The Bengals keep Zac Taylor for at least two more years but hire a legitimate GM and scouting department. Jim Turner gets fired, though.

2 - Meager front office stays the same, but Zac and his crew go. You get to choose the best (realistic) available coach out there (no Bill B, Sean P, etc.).

I think I'd choose option #1.

18. Likes:

Bob Sheed (12-16-2020),Boss-Hog (12-16-2020),Kingspoint (12-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    A football genie appears and gives you two choices:

1 - The Bengals keep Zac Taylor for at least two more years but hire a legitimate GM and scouting department. Jim Turner gets fired, though.

2 - Meager front office stays the same, but Zac and his crew go. You get to choose the best (realistic) available coach out there (no Bill B, Sean P, etc.).

I think I'd choose option #1.
    Yeah man, that's an easy answer.

#1 accomplishes what has been needed for 30 years.

#2 gets you Marvin Lewis again.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-16-2020)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Bengals All-Pro DT Geno Atkins Underwent Season-Ending Shoulder Surgery

The Bengals placed defensive tackle Geno Atkins on injured reserve Wednesday morning.

The 32-year-old suffered a labrum tear in his right shoulder during Cincinnati's final scrimmage during training camp.

He missed four games with the injury, but returned to action in Week 5 against Baltimore.

Atkins underwent surgery to repair the damage in his shoulder this week. He signed a waiver to play this season, despite dealing with an injury that likely required surgery league sources told AllBengals insider Elise Jesse.

He was only on the field for 119 defensive snaps this year, which was a career-low. Atkins appeared in eight games, finishing with one tackle. He was on the field for just seven plays in Sunday's loss to the Cowboys.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Rumours that this could be it for Atkins and the Bengals. It’s sad, but probably a year overdue. Hopefully he can be a piece on a contender before his career is over.

23. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-16-2020)

Man, Atkins was a beast in his prime. When Geno was feeling it, even doubled-teamed, he would push the center of the line back toward the opposing QB.

25. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (12-16-2020),Kingspoint (12-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Man, Atkins was a beast in his prime. When Geno was feeling it, even doubled-teamed, he would push the center of the line back toward the opposing QB.
    When talking about scouting, a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Dehner speculated he see's Lou getting fired but he also sees a path for Turner to stay...his speculation though.

He also could see an up and coming defensive coach coming here to help Turner...his reasoning only so many defensive coordinator jobs come upon each year so those jobs are very competitive.

Fans will go nuts if Turner stays.

28. Likes:

Boss-Hog (12-18-2020)

Turn Off Ads?