Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MLBTR has us signing Didi

Re: MLBTR has us signing Didi

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    6 years too late
    it's crazy how that trade gets lost in the shuffle when talking about awful trades for the reds over the years. small-market teams should not do things like trade a valuable young player under team control for 6+ years like didi for a 1-year rental of someone like choo. even as good as choo was for the reds during that 1 year overall, he was average-at-best in the second half of the 2013 season, and the reds were a wildcard team that was one-and-done in the playoffs. awful trade.

it's also interesting that trev bauer was the other player involved in that 3-player deal. reds were the suckers; dbacks and indians won the trade.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    it's crazy how that trade gets lost in the shuffle when talking about awful trades for the reds over the years. small-market teams should not do things like trade a valuable young player under team control for 6+ years like didi for a 1-year rental of someone like choo. even as good as choo was for the reds during that 1 year overall, he was average-at-best in the second half of the 2013 season, and the reds were a wildcard team that was one-and-done in the playoffs. awful trade.

it's also interesting that trev bauer was the other player involved in that 3-player deal. reds were the suckers; dbacks and indians won the trade.
    Choo was the 12th most valuable position player in baseball in the 2nd half of the 2013 season.
    https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...lter=&players=

4. Likes:

Crumbley (11-05-2020),Edd Roush (11-05-2020),Revering4Blue (11-04-2020),Ron Madden (11-04-2020),UKFlounder (11-05-2020),Wonderful Monds (11-04-2020)

Am I the only one that thinks that it's going to be hilarious if we sign Didi and lose Trevor Bauer in the same off-season? Is Drew Stubbs getting a weird chill somewhere?

6. Likes:

Jim (11-06-2020),Revering4Blue (11-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Choo was the 12th most valuable position player in baseball in the 2nd half of the 2013 season.
    https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...lter=&players=
    it was a terrible trade for the reds.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    it was a terrible trade for the reds.
    I think we have a different definition of terrible, but really, I don't care about discussing that because it's an opinion.

That said - Choo was a lot better in the second half than your post implied. By a lot.

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-05-2020),Revering4Blue (11-05-2020)

what about trading for Trevor Story? if they cant get DiDi or Lindor or Siemen?

It’s this simple ... the Reds need to give Garcia plenty of time to develop in the minors. They need a SS for the next couple of years. DiDi would be a good fit. They can sign him and not have to give up any talent. Plus, DiDi brings to the table good defense and certainly upgrades the offense.

To me, if they can sign him, it ought to be a no-brainer.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

12. Likes:

mth123 (11-05-2020),Revering4Blue (11-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    What would Galvis cost if he was to return? Didi definitely has a better OPS (about 70 points) and a slightly higher OBP, but Galvis appears to have the better glove. If Freddie doesn't have many options and would sign for 8 - 10 per vs. 13-15...
    Galvis doesn't have a better glove at SS and he's an out Machine. I like Galvis as a utility player for a couple Million and he does have a good glove at 2B. He's kind of like Peraza with Power (which makes him a lot better than Peraza). Can play 2B but we're better off if he doesn't play SS, low OBP. Seems like a smart veteran guy, but I'd prefer a similar player who has been on teams that have won a lot.

I know some of the stat guys will disagree, but this team needs players who know what it takes to win. It's a roster filled with guys who haven't won much anywhere. I think it shows. Players who've played on winning teams know how to avoid so many "Bad News Bears" moments that we see this team have. Still, I'd prefer getting Galvis back as a part time 2B, lefty bench bat as opposed to just going with the current guys on the 40 man roster. He doesn't have the glove for SS IMO. Maybe he's better than he looked last year. I thought he looked a little slow (relatively speaking) and out of shape to be honest. Maybe it was the extended lay-off and short spring training. IF he's in shape and his range improves, he might be OK as a SS stopgap, but I'd aim higher before settling. If last year is who he is now, I don't want him playing SS for the Reds for even a game.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Galvis doesn't have a better glove at SS and he's an out Machine. I like Galvis as a utility player for a couple Million and he does have a good glove at 2B. He's kind of like Peraza with Power (which makes him a lot better than Peraza). Can play 2B but we're better off if he doesn't play SS, low OBP. Seems like a smart veteran guy, but I'd prefer a similar player who has been on teams that have won a lot.

I know some of the stat guys will disagree, but this team needs players who know what it takes to win. It's a roster filled with guys who haven't won much anywhere. I think it shows. Players who've played on winning teams know how to avoid so many "Bad News Bears" moments that we see this team have. Still, I'd prefer getting Galvis back as a part time 2B, lefty bench bat as opposed to just going with the current guys on the 40 man roster. He doesn't have the glove for SS IMO. Maybe he's better than he looked last year. I thought he looked a little slow (relatively speaking) and out of shape to be honest. Maybe it was the extended lay-off and short spring training. IF he's in shape and his range improves, he might be OK as a SS stopgap, but I'd aim higher before settling. If last year is who he is now, I don't want him playing SS for the Reds for even a game.
    Keep in mind, I’m in favor of Galvis at 2-4 vs. Didi at 13. Didi’s not 9-11 MM better, especially if that money can be used better elsewhere.
    Last edited by RedsBrick; 11-05-2020 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    what about trading for Trevor Story? if they cant get DiDi or Lindor or Siemen?
    Story is a solid option, but he’s a free agent after this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep in mind, I’m in favor of Galvis at 2-4 vs. Didi at 13. Didi’s not 9-11 MM better, especially it that money can be used better elsewhere.

There’s a reason why Galvis could be had at $10M less than Didi. Galvis is no longer a starting SS.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-05-2020)

Keep in mind, I’m in favor of Galvis at 2-4 vs. Didi at 13. Didi’s not 9-11 MM better, especially it that money can be used better elsewhere.
    I think a dependable every day SS who can add offense is worth that much more. Especially one who has played for a lot of winning teams. This team needs guys who know how to win. That's why I want Didi or Semien and am not really interested in Simmons as much. Galvis was unacceptable at SS last year. The Reds moved him off the position last year and used Garcia and Farmer there because it was so obvious. I like Galvis as a part time 2B and a "break glass in case of emergency" SS, but $2 Million tops and if Moose, also a lefty bat, stays at 2B (I hope they find a way to move him off of there) he doesn't really fit so well.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Story is a solid option, but he’s a free agent after this year.

- - - Updated - - -

There’s a reason why Galvis could be had at $10M less than Didi. Galvis is no longer a starting SS.
    ...and Didi’s not a put-you-over-the-top guy either. Probably never was. I’d rather put the money elsewhere.

20. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (11-05-2020)

...and Didi’s not a put-you-over-the-top guy either. Probably never was. I’d rather put the money elsewhere.
    But if you sign Galvis, you still need a starting SS.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

22. Likes:

mth123 (11-05-2020),RedsManRick (11-05-2020),Revering4Blue (11-05-2020)

Keep in mind, I’m in favor of Galvis at 2-4 vs. Didi at 13. Didi’s not 9-11 MM better, especially if that money can be used better elsewhere.
    I think the big issue that you are potentially ignoring is that shortstop is really the only spot the Reds are going to be looking at upgrading this offseason. They might go look at a starting pitcher, but are they really going to find an upgrade - a true one - over Mahle, Antone, and or Lorenzen?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think the big issue that you are potentially ignoring is that shortstop is really the only spot the Reds are going to be looking at upgrading this offseason. They might go look at a starting pitcher, but are they really going to find an upgrade - a true one - over Mahle, Antone, and or Lorenzen?
    For me, all of this is based on the naive thought there's still a chance the Reds keep Bauer. So you're sayin' there's a chance....

When (if...) he signs elsewhere, then I'll probably change my mind.

Turn Off Ads?