Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tucker Barnhart's Gold Glove win deserves its own thread

Tucker Barnhart's Gold Glove win deserves its own thread

I know we're all preoccupied with other news, but way to go Tucker. I remember back when he was just starting to get some prospect momentum and people began thinking maybe he was going to pan out. Two Gold Gloves ain't too shabby. Ties him with Johnny Edwards.

Also raises the question of whether this makes him more in demand in the trade market. It might. LH hitting catcher, quality defense.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

757690 (11-04-2020),CarolinaRedleg (11-04-2020),Chip R (11-04-2020),Edd Roush (11-04-2020),goreds2 (11-04-2020),Kingspoint (11-04-2020),RedTeamGo! (11-04-2020),Revering4Blue (11-04-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tucker Barnhart's Gold Glove win deserves its own thread

His demand in the trade market will increase if MLB allows two DHs. One for pitcher and one for catcher.

5. Likes:

M2 (11-04-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    His demand in the trade market will increase if MLB allows two DHs. One for pitcher and one for catcher.
    Like it or not.... teams don't care if their catchers hit. They love it if they do, but they don't care if they don't (as long as they handle the pitching staff well).

7. Likes:

757690 (11-04-2020),Chip R (11-04-2020),goreds2 (11-04-2020),SunDeck (11-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Like it or not.... teams don't care if their catchers hit. They love it if they do, but they don't care if they don't (as long as they handle the pitching staff well).
    This is one of the reasons I believe Casali might be the one to go. Reds value Tucker. Casali is coming off a good statistical year, might fetch a trade return, and Stephenson can be his replacement.

I know this is unpopular because Casali is the better hitter. But Casali’s hitting advantage is against LHP. Stephenson should be able to carry that water.

I could see either catcher traded, or perhaps Reds keep both and ease Tyler S into the lineup more gradually. I just wouldn’t assume it’s necessarily Barnhart who would go, if anyone.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-04-2020 at 09:39 AM.

Congrats, Tucker.

Reds have 3 MLB caliber catchers. I hope they decide to give Tyler Stephenson at least half the starts in 2021. I think they'll trade Barnhart, it would be hard to take your veteran guy who just won his 2nd GG and push him to the backup role. But I'm fine with Krall shopping both Casali and Barnhart and getting the best deal out of it. Casali does have 2 years of control, which is an advantage.

It's been so long since I've thought about depth charts down the line, but who in the system is set to replace Casali/Tucker as the backup in 22/23? Please don't tell me it's Okey.

10. Likes:

HokieRed (11-05-2020),mth123 (11-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I hope they decide to give Tyler Stephenson at least half the starts in 2021. I think they'll trade Barnhart, it would be hard to take your veteran guy who just won his 2nd GG and push him to the backup role.
    The Johnny Edwards comps for Tucker run deep, right down to being age 29 with a top prospect seemingly ready to take his job.

It's been so long since I've thought about depth charts down the line, but who in the system is set to replace Casali/Tucker as the backup in 22/23? Please don't tell me it's Okey.
    Odds are it's someone from outside the system. There's a healthy selection of backup catchers available at any given moment. Though Eric Yang could be a sleeper.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

12. Likes:

Mitri (11-04-2020),Tuff Nut (11-04-2020),westofyou (11-04-2020)

barnhart hits like hank foiles or hal bevan

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    This is one of the reasons I believe Casali might be the one to go. Reds value Tucker. Casali is coming off a good statistical year, might fetch a trade return, and Stephenson can be his replacement.

I know this is unpopular because Casali is the better hitter. But Casali’s hitting advantage is against LHP. Stephenson should be able to carry that water.

I could see either catcher traded, or perhaps Reds keep both and ease Tyler S into the lineup more gradually. I just wouldn’t assume it’s necessarily Barnhart who would go, if anyone.
    This is where I'm at. Tucker, for all his shortcomings at the plate, is a genuinely good defensive catcher and pitch framer, and he's a clubhouse leader. He's the guy I want splitting time with and coaching up Stephenson. And I like Casali.

On the other hand, Castillo was much better with Casali this year than he was Barnhart. But that could very well be a short-season anomaly.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Do we know why the defensive analytics were so down on Tucker in 2018? Outside of that year, Tucker has been a fine player. Without a viable explanation on 2018, I am left to believe that Tucker may have more downside risk than upside potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    barnhart hits like hank foiles or hal bevan
    The one position that sets up in foul ground and faces the rest of the defense, involved in every pitch and taking foul balls off every part of his body he is often maneuvering the position players while consistently communicating with the dugout during the game.

Any hitting is gravy, the position is about that gold glove and managing a pitching staff.

17. Likes:

757690 (11-04-2020),marcshoe (11-04-2020),RED VAN HOT (11-04-2020),SunDeck (11-08-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Do we know why the defensive analytics were so down on Tucker in 2018? Outside of that year, Tucker has been a fine player. Without a viable explanation on 2018, I am left to believe that Tucker may have more downside risk than upside potential.
    His numbers were fine except for pitch framing. Then his pitch framing numbers got better when the Reds had a decent pitching staff. Go figure.

Also, remember that defensive numbers are small sample sizes compared to offensive numbers. It takes around 3 seasons of defensive numbers for them to be stable enough to judge.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Congrats, Tucker.

Reds have 3 MLB caliber catchers. I hope they decide to give Tyler Stephenson at least half the starts in 2021. I think they'll trade Barnhart, it would be hard to take your veteran guy who just won his 2nd GG and push him to the backup role. But I'm fine with Krall shopping both Casali and Barnhart and getting the best deal out of it. Casali does have 2 years of control, which is an advantage.

Reds have two years of control over Barnhart too, if they exercise the team option for 2022. It is more expensive, however.

And for 2021, I think they could work out Barnhart and Stephenson. Let’s not assume that Tyler will be fully ready on the first day. Tucker could still catch half the games or slightly more. That would give Tyler plenty of work for a rookie catcher.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-04-2020 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds have two years of control over Barnhart too, if they exercise the team option for 2022. It is more expensive, however.

And for 2021, I think they could work out Barnhart and Stephenson. Let’s not assume that Tyler will be fully ready on the first day. Tucker could still catch half the games or slightly more. That would give Tyler plenty of work for a rookie catcher.
    All the more reason to flip him now (I just checked his contract status - thanks for the reminder of the option). Tucker is a great defensive C, expensive considering his diminishing hit tool and the fact that the Reds have two options that are cheaper and have much more upside at the plate.

M2 - Yang was the guy I was reaching for. I like that kid.

As long as Stephenson reaches a good amount of his potential by 2022, the backup catcher worry is relatively moot, though.

21. Likes:

M2 (11-04-2020)

west of you thanks for informing me what a cathcer does,,now that I have that information I will change my opiniuon, he hits like dave van gorder or brad gulden

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    west of you thanks for informing me what a cathcer does,,now that I have that information I will change my opiniuon, he hits like dave van gorder or brad gulden
    Anytime

Turn Off Ads?