Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Tucker Barnhart's Gold Glove win deserves its own thread

  1. #1
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    40,006

    Tucker Barnhart's Gold Glove win deserves its own thread

    I know we're all preoccupied with other news, but way to go Tucker. I remember back when he was just starting to get some prospect momentum and people began thinking maybe he was going to pan out. Two Gold Gloves ain't too shabby. Ties him with Johnny Edwards.

    Also raises the question of whether this makes him more in demand in the trade market. It might. LH hitting catcher, quality defense.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  2. Likes:

    757690 (11-04-2020),CarolinaRedleg (11-04-2020),Chip R (11-04-2020),Edd Roush (11-04-2020),goreds2 (11-04-2020),Kingspoint (11-04-2020),RedTeamGo! (11-04-2020),Revering4Blue (11-04-2020)


  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    514

    Re: Tucker Barnhart's Gold Glove win deserves its own thread

    His demand in the trade market will increase if MLB allows two DHs. One for pitcher and one for catcher.

  5. Likes:

    M2 (11-04-2020)

  6. #3
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    49,394

    Re: Tucker Barnhart's Gold Glove win deserves its own thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    His demand in the trade market will increase if MLB allows two DHs. One for pitcher and one for catcher.
    Like it or not.... teams don't care if their catchers hit. They love it if they do, but they don't care if they don't (as long as they handle the pitching staff well).

  7. Likes:

    757690 (11-04-2020),Chip R (11-04-2020),goreds2 (11-04-2020),SunDeck (11-08-2020)

  8. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    29,144

    Re: Tucker Barnhart's Gold Glove win deserves its own thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Like it or not.... teams don't care if their catchers hit. They love it if they do, but they don't care if they don't (as long as they handle the pitching staff well).
    This is one of the reasons I believe Casali might be the one to go. Reds value Tucker. Casali is coming off a good statistical year, might fetch a trade return, and Stephenson can be his replacement.

    I know this is unpopular because Casali is the better hitter. But Casali’s hitting advantage is against LHP. Stephenson should be able to carry that water.

    I could see either catcher traded, or perhaps Reds keep both and ease Tyler S into the lineup more gradually. I just wouldn’t assume it’s necessarily Barnhart who would go, if anyone.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-04-2020 at 10:39 AM.

  9. #5
    Member Mitri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,466

    Re: Tucker Barnhart's Gold Glove win deserves its own thread

    Congrats, Tucker.

    Reds have 3 MLB caliber catchers. I hope they decide to give Tyler Stephenson at least half the starts in 2021. I think they'll trade Barnhart, it would be hard to take your veteran guy who just won his 2nd GG and push him to the backup role. But I'm fine with Krall shopping both Casali and Barnhart and getting the best deal out of it. Casali does have 2 years of control, which is an advantage.

    It's been so long since I've thought about depth charts down the line, but who in the system is set to replace Casali/Tucker as the backup in 22/23? Please don't tell me it's Okey.

  10. Likes:

    HokieRed (11-05-2020),mth123 (11-04-2020)

  11. #6
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    40,006

    Re: Tucker Barnhart's Gold Glove win deserves its own thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I hope they decide to give Tyler Stephenson at least half the starts in 2021. I think they'll trade Barnhart, it would be hard to take your veteran guy who just won his 2nd GG and push him to the backup role.
    The Johnny Edwards comps for Tucker run deep, right down to being age 29 with a top prospect seemingly ready to take his job.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    It's been so long since I've thought about depth charts down the line, but who in the system is set to replace Casali/Tucker as the backup in 22/23? Please don't tell me it's Okey.
    Odds are it's someone from outside the system. There's a healthy selection of backup catchers available at any given moment. Though Eric Yang could be a sleeper.
    Friends don't let friends fWAR.

    Coddle thy pitchers.

  12. Likes:

    Mitri (11-04-2020),Tuff Nut (11-04-2020),westofyou (11-04-2020)

  13. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,254

    Re: Tucker Barnhart's Gold Glove win deserves its own thread

    barnhart hits like hank foiles or hal bevan

  14. #8
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,810

    Re: Tucker Barnhart's Gold Glove win deserves its own thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    This is one of the reasons I believe Casali might be the one to go. Reds value Tucker. Casali is coming off a good statistical year, might fetch a trade return, and Stephenson can be his replacement.

    I know this is unpopular because Casali is the better hitter. But Casali’s hitting advantage is against LHP. Stephenson should be able to carry that water.

    I could see either catcher traded, or perhaps Reds keep both and ease Tyler S into the lineup more gradually. I just wouldn’t assume it’s necessarily Barnhart who would go, if anyone.
    This is where I'm at. Tucker, for all his shortcomings at the plate, is a genuinely good defensive catcher and pitch framer, and he's a clubhouse leader. He's the guy I want splitting time with and coaching up Stephenson. And I like Casali.

    On the other hand, Castillo was much better with Casali this year than he was Barnhart. But that could very well be a short-season anomaly.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

  15. #9
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    South Lebanon, OH
    Posts
    4,944

    Re: Tucker Barnhart's Gold Glove win deserves its own thread

    Do we know why the defensive analytics were so down on Tucker in 2018? Outside of that year, Tucker has been a fine player. Without a viable explanation on 2018, I am left to believe that Tucker may have more downside risk than upside potential.

  16. #10
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    50,188

    Re: Tucker Barnhart's Gold Glove win deserves its own thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    barnhart hits like hank foiles or hal bevan
    The one position that sets up in foul ground and faces the rest of the defense, involved in every pitch and taking foul balls off every part of his body he is often maneuvering the position players while consistently communicating with the dugout during the game.

    Any hitting is gravy, the position is about that gold glove and managing a pitching staff.

  17. Likes:

    757690 (11-04-2020),marcshoe (11-04-2020),RED VAN HOT (11-04-2020),SunDeck (11-08-2020)

  18. #11
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    25,737

    Re: Tucker Barnhart's Gold Glove win deserves its own thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Do we know why the defensive analytics were so down on Tucker in 2018? Outside of that year, Tucker has been a fine player. Without a viable explanation on 2018, I am left to believe that Tucker may have more downside risk than upside potential.
    His numbers were fine except for pitch framing. Then his pitch framing numbers got better when the Reds had a decent pitching staff. Go figure.

    Also, remember that defensive numbers are small sample sizes compared to offensive numbers. It takes around 3 seasons of defensive numbers for them to be stable enough to judge.
    “We’re going to get the pitching.” -Bob Castellini
    “You got the pitching, now what?” - Reds fans

  19. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    29,144

    Re: Tucker Barnhart's Gold Glove win deserves its own thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Congrats, Tucker.

    Reds have 3 MLB caliber catchers. I hope they decide to give Tyler Stephenson at least half the starts in 2021. I think they'll trade Barnhart, it would be hard to take your veteran guy who just won his 2nd GG and push him to the backup role. But I'm fine with Krall shopping both Casali and Barnhart and getting the best deal out of it. Casali does have 2 years of control, which is an advantage.

    It's been so long since I've thought about depth charts down the line, but who in the system is set to replace Casali/Tucker as the backup in 22/23? Please don't tell me it's Okey.
    Reds have two years of control over Barnhart too, if they exercise the team option for 2022. It is more expensive, however.

    And for 2021, I think they could work out Barnhart and Stephenson. Let’s not assume that Tyler will be fully ready on the first day. Tucker could still catch half the games or slightly more. That would give Tyler plenty of work for a rookie catcher.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-04-2020 at 01:35 PM.

  20. #13
    Member Mitri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,466

    Re: Tucker Barnhart's Gold Glove win deserves its own thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds have two years of control over Barnhart too, if they exercise the team option for 2022. It is more expensive, however.

    And for 2021, I think they could work out Barnhart and Stephenson. Let’s not assume that Tyler will be fully ready on the first day. Tucker could still catch half the games or slightly more. That would give Tyler plenty of work for a rookie catcher.
    All the more reason to flip him now (I just checked his contract status - thanks for the reminder of the option). Tucker is a great defensive C, expensive considering his diminishing hit tool and the fact that the Reds have two options that are cheaper and have much more upside at the plate.

    M2 - Yang was the guy I was reaching for. I like that kid.

    As long as Stephenson reaches a good amount of his potential by 2022, the backup catcher worry is relatively moot, though.

  21. Likes:

    M2 (11-04-2020)

  22. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,254

    Re: Tucker Barnhart's Gold Glove win deserves its own thread

    west of you thanks for informing me what a cathcer does,,now that I have that information I will change my opiniuon, he hits like dave van gorder or brad gulden

  23. #15
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    50,188

    Re: Tucker Barnhart's Gold Glove win deserves its own thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    west of you thanks for informing me what a cathcer does,,now that I have that information I will change my opiniuon, he hits like dave van gorder or brad gulden
    Anytime


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator