Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 43

Thread: Alex Cora Is Getting A 2nd Chance, What About Baseballís Other Cheaters?

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    89

    Re: Alex Cora Is Getting A 2nd Chance, What About Baseballís Other Cheaters?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Tony LaRussa.

    Discuss.
    Has a drinking problem.


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    23

    Re: Alex Cora Is Getting A 2nd Chance, What About Baseballís Other Cheaters?

    Are fans partly to blame for such high demand for results or having astronomical expectations?

  4. #18
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    49,394

    Re: Alex Cora Is Getting A 2nd Chance, What About Baseballís Other Cheaters?

    Quote Originally Posted by boxseat View Post
    Are fans partly to blame for such high demand for results or having astronomical expectations?
    I'll go ahead and say no.

    There are 30 jobs to manage a Major League Baseball team. To believe that there are only 30 qualified people to do the job, and that several of them had to cheat to do it well, is crazy. Teams should be better, do better, when it comes to hiring. There are qualified non-cheaters out there. Probably a lot of them. Hire those people.

  5. Likes:

    dreghorntwo (11-11-2020)

  6. #19
    We have a pool and a pond Bob Sheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    A pond is good for you.
    Posts
    1,810

    Re: Alex Cora Is Getting A 2nd Chance, What About Baseballís Other Cheaters?

    How to get fired from a 1990s MLB GM position in less than one year:

    "There are qualified non-steroid using baseball players out there. Probably a lot of them. Hire those people."
    "Taylorís not wrong about needing to change the culture. Heís just going after the wrong culture. As I wrote Sunday, itís the Upstairs culture that needs changing, not the Downstairs. The only person whoís ever done a thing about that culture is now assisting Herm Edwards at Arizona State." -PD

  7. Likes:

    RedTeamGo! (11-11-2020)

  8. #20
    Member blumj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern MA
    Posts
    5,119

    Re: Alex Cora Is Getting A 2nd Chance, What About Baseballís Other Cheaters?

    The owners and players seemedto like him as much as the fans
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

  9. #21
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    49,394

    Re: Alex Cora Is Getting A 2nd Chance, What About Baseballís Other Cheaters?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    How to get fired from a 1990s MLB GM position in less than one year:

    "There are qualified non-steroid using baseball players out there. Probably a lot of them. Hire those people."
    Yes. This is definitely the same thing.

  10. #22
    We have a pool and a pond Bob Sheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    A pond is good for you.
    Posts
    1,810

    Re: Alex Cora Is Getting A 2nd Chance, What About Baseballís Other Cheaters?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes. This is definitely the same thing.
    Same line of thinking.
    "Taylorís not wrong about needing to change the culture. Heís just going after the wrong culture. As I wrote Sunday, itís the Upstairs culture that needs changing, not the Downstairs. The only person whoís ever done a thing about that culture is now assisting Herm Edwards at Arizona State." -PD

  11. #23
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    13,948

    Re: Alex Cora Is Getting A 2nd Chance, What About Baseballís Other Cheaters?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    How to get fired from a 1990s MLB GM position in less than one year:

    "There are qualified non-steroid using baseball players out there. Probably a lot of them. Hire those people."
    But hey, at least that GM would have a sense of moral superiority. Little to known fact: moral superiority keeps you warm in the winter and doubles as currency to make your mortgage payments.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  12. #24
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    49,394

    Re: Alex Cora Is Getting A 2nd Chance, What About Baseballís Other Cheaters?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Same line of thinking.
    It's really not, though.

  13. #25
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    13,948

    Re: Alex Cora Is Getting A 2nd Chance, What About Baseballís Other Cheaters?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It's really not, though.
    And yet Alex Cora was hired almost immediately after his suspension was up. And Tony LaRussa was hired by the white sox after knowing he’s a horrible person. I wonder why...
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  14. #26
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    49,394

    Re: Alex Cora Is Getting A 2nd Chance, What About Baseballís Other Cheaters?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    And yet Alex Cora was hired almost immediately after his suspension was up. And Tony LaRussa was hired by the white sox after knowing he’s a horrible person. I wonder why...
    Because baseball has a lot of problems, with crony-ism being an enormous one.

    LaRussa hasn't managed in a decade and the team knew he had DUI charges coming, and they still hired him because he's best buddies with the owner. The chances that he's anywhere near the best candidate for the job, in 2021, are almost none. But hiring the best candidate doesn't matter. He was hired because he knows someone. Because he's a "name", which is kind of hilarious in the sense that even he believes his name means something, brother.

  15. #27
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    13,948

    Re: Alex Cora Is Getting A 2nd Chance, What About Baseballís Other Cheaters?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Because baseball has a lot of problems, with crony-ism being an enormous one.

    LaRussa hasn't managed in a decade and the team knew he had DUI charges coming, and they still hired him because he's best buddies with the owner. The chances that he's anywhere near the best candidate for the job, in 2021, are almost none. But hiring the best candidate doesn't matter. He was hired because he knows someone. Because he's a "name", which is kind of hilarious in the sense that even he believes his name means something, brother.
    LaRussa is also one of the best managers in baseball history. It’s easy for us to gloss over that fact as Reds fans, but it’s a fact.

    Does cronyism exist in baseball? Absolutely. See: Dick Williams, President of Baseball Operations and David Bell.

    Do I think Alex Cora was hired by the Red Sox because of cronyism and not because they think he’s the best man for the job? No, no I do not.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  16. #28
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    49,394

    Re: Alex Cora Is Getting A 2nd Chance, What About Baseballís Other Cheaters?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    LaRussa is also one of the best managers in baseball history. It’s easy for us to gloss over that fact as Reds fans, but it’s a fact.

    Does cronyism exist in baseball? Absolutely. See: Dick Williams, President of Baseball Operations and David Bell.

    Do I think Alex Cora was hired by the Red Sox because of cronyism and not because they think he’s the best man for the job? No, no I do not.
    Lou Pinella was a heck of a manager, too, but there's a difference between what one was and what one is. I've got a real tough time buying that a guy who has been out of the dugout for a decade, particularly this last one with all that's happened in the game of baseball, is the best guy for the job at the same age as Methuselah.

    Alex Cora wasn't hired the first time around because of his cronyism.

  17. #29
    Member mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    25,039

    Re: Alex Cora Is Getting A 2nd Chance, What About Baseballís Other Cheaters?

    I don't get the moral outrage. These guys aren't being hired to teach our children or be our ministers, they are being hired because of their knowledge or ability as far as baseball goes.

    As far as being suspended, Cora and Hinch did their time. These weren't lifetime bans. Why are we expecting them to be unable to get a job for the rest of their life?

    Larussa's drinking issues aren't something I'm a fan of, but plenty of people work plenty of responsible jobs who have a dui or two in their past. It has nothing to do with his ability to manage unless he's drunk in the dugout. Now if it had some other negative impact, like say fans stayed away because of it, there would a reason to deny him a job, but that doesn't happen.

    I'd take any of those guys tomorrow over David Bell.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

  18. Likes:

    bm1475 (11-11-2020),Revering4Blue (11-11-2020)

  19. #30
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    12,203

    Re: Alex Cora Is Getting A 2nd Chance, What About Baseballís Other Cheaters?

    Alex Cora on taking the fall for 2017 Astros: "Everybody was involved"
    In his appearance on WEEI on Thursday, Cora took some issue with being painted as the mastermind of the scandal that rocked the baseball world for the better part of a year.


    “Everybody was involved,” Cora said.
    While former ‘Stros manager A.J. Hinch was found to be against the scheme and even took a baseball bat to the TVs next to the dugout to express his content during the ‘17 season, Hinch was also suspended for a year and subsequently fired for his participation. He was recently hired as the next manager of the Detroit Tigers.

    Former Astros general manager Jeff Lunhow, who has been public about his belief that the ‘18 Red Sox got let off the hook, was also fired after the fallout.

    “The thing I can tell you,” Cora said Thursday, “and I mentioned it during the summer, whoever was in that dugout, whoever was walking around, whoever was in the game, knew what was going on.
    https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/11...-was-involved/


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator