Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: The 2020 Affiliation Dance - This year it's the BIG dance

Re: The 2020 Affiliation Dance - This year it's the BIG dance

We made the trip to Power Park in 2014 to see the Asheville Tourists play the Power there when WV was a Pittsburgh affiliate. They had a guy that sat behind home plate with a toaster machine. He was a staple at the games I believe, entertaining guy. I think they had a tag name for the him but I don’t recall what it was now. We really liked the park and the near down town areas. Sounds like the park will still be open for business which is good news.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Toast Man haha. Yea he was always a staple behind the plate. Haha.
    Go Redlegs!

I know this, if MLB doesn't want to have small town baseball to save a few bucks, I won't be going to any MiLB games anywhere. I'll go to some of the league that's welcomed the Power out of support for the area. #FireManfred #worstcommishinmajorsports #makesnosense.

And yes the Toastman is certainly unique. Having worked there and seen him at most of the games.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

5. Likes:

BillDoran (02-28-2021)

As I mentioned earlier in another thread, I received my Reds media guide in the mail last Monday from a few contacts I still have in the organization.

And then this past weekend I made a couple of calls to see if I could get some questions answered for the spreadsheet I keep on the organization. I treat these discussions as secretive and usually don't discuss anything that I learn from them, but there was one interesting thing passed on to me that I felt like I could share with you all.

As this is not confirmed, you'll have to treat it as a speculative rumor as of now, it appears the Reds are still having internal discussions as too how many AZL and DSL squads they'll operate this year and for the immediate future.

All organizations are now limited to 1 each AAA, AA, A+, and A club but they aren't limited on the number of Rookie level clubs they may operate. And in fact, as of last year, 10 MLB orgs had multiple AZL/GCL teams and 15 MLB orgs had multiple DSL teams - the Reds are one of the few who don't operate multiple teams at either level. Considering AZL/GCL/DSL teams are run from org owned facilities and RK level players are pay restricted, having multiple clubs does not add a great deal of $ too an org's bottom line.

The Reds are discussing having 2 DSL clubs (as they did in the past), formatting it as one club with Venezuelan players on it (a de facto VSL club) and one club with Dominican players on it.

In addition, they are also discussing having 2 AZL clubs, formatting it as one rostered with stateside players and one rostered with advanced DSL players. Remember last year, the AZL club essentially existed as an advanced foreign team and the now defunct Billings and Greenville teams were primarily for stateside players.

Including this year's initial batch of IFA signees the Reds have 274 players under contract. Once the short season rookie level teams open for business the Reds would be limited to 255 players on reserve lists (not including those on full season disabled lists or restricted lists). Adding two additional teams would boost their reserve roster limit total to 325 players. The additions could make a great deal of sense with some additional foreign signings and this year's upcoming draft selections.

But as I said earlier, treat this as speculative rumor for now. If I hear anything more definitive in the future I'll pass it along.

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-16-2021),BillDoran (03-16-2021),Bourgeois Zee (03-16-2021),JaxRed (03-16-2021),RED VAN HOT (03-16-2021),Tom Servo (03-16-2021),TRF (03-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    As I mentioned earlier in another thread, I received my Reds media guide in the mail last Monday from a few contacts I still have in the organization.

And then this past weekend I made a couple of calls to see if I could get some questions answered for the spreadsheet I keep on the organization. I treat these discussions as secretive and usually don't discuss anything that I learn from them, but there was one interesting thing passed on to me that I felt like I could share with you all.

As this is not confirmed, you'll have to treat it as a speculative rumor as of now, it appears the Reds are still having internal discussions as too how many AZL and DSL squads they'll operate this year and for the immediate future.

All organizations are now limited to 1 each AAA, AA, A+, and A club but they aren't limited on the number of Rookie level clubs they may operate. And in fact, as of last year, 10 MLB orgs had multiple AZL/GCL teams and 15 MLB orgs had multiple DSL teams - the Reds are one of the few who don't operate multiple teams at either level. Considering AZL/GCL/DSL teams are run from org owned facilities and RK level players are pay restricted, having multiple clubs does not add a great deal of $ too an org's bottom line.

The Reds are discussing having 2 DSL clubs (as they did in the past), formatting it as one club with Venezuelan players on it (a de facto VSL club) and one club with Dominican players on it.

In addition, they are also discussing having 2 AZL clubs, formatting it as one rostered with stateside players and one rostered with advanced DSL players. Remember last year, the AZL club essentially existed as an advanced foreign team and the now defunct Billings and Greenville teams were primarily for stateside players.

Including this year's initial batch of IFA signees the Reds have 274 players under contract. Once the short season rookie level teams open for business the Reds would be limited to 255 players on reserve lists (not including those on full season disabled lists or restricted lists). Adding two additional teams would boost their reserve roster limit total to 325 players. The additions could make a great deal of sense with some additional foreign signings and this year's upcoming draft selections.

But as I said earlier, treat this as speculative rumor for now. If I hear anything more definitive in the future I'll pass it along.
    Really helpful and appreciated.

Have a hard time reading this and not laughing though. From what I gather, the end-game will be reducing the total number of better paid players, while retaining a similar-ish number of total players and moving the cheaper players to organizational sites in Arizona and the Caribbean. Glad we could reduce the cost burden on owners and strip baseball tradition from towns across America. Great job, everybody.
    Last edited by BillDoran; 03-16-2021 at 12:06 PM.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-16-2021),Hypnotoad (03-16-2021),Slyder (03-17-2021),texasdave (03-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    From what I gather, the end-game will be reducing the total number of better paid players, while retaining a similar-ish number of total players and moving the cheaper players to organizational sites in Arizona and the Caribbean.
    More younger guys means more relatively free chances at finding the golden ring.

Lots more players discarded after a year or two.

Smart teams will find a way to identify those who might develop, give them time, and reap the rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    More younger guys means more relatively free chances at finding the golden ring.

Lots more players discarded after a year or two.

Smart teams will find a way to identify those who might develop, give them time, and reap the rewards.
    Well stated. With advanced metrics teams are better able to determine which players are more likely to improve. The prospect screening process has been pushed down to a lower level. It makes sense to have two AZL and DSL teams. The way of dividing the teams also makes sense. It should improve the ability of coaches to work with players and reduce the adjustment demands on young players permitting more concentration of baseball.

Wichita Wind Surge FINALLY have opening day today. It's been a long time coming. I have Friday and Saturday night in my season ticket group and cannot wait!

13. Likes:

texasdave (05-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Wichita Wind Surge FINALLY have opening day today. It's been a long time coming. I have Friday and Saturday night in my season ticket group and cannot wait!
    Let's just hope that the wind surge isn't coming from person sitting in front of you.

15. Likes:

Boston Red (05-11-2021),mth123 (05-12-2021),TRF (05-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Let's just hope that the wind surge isn't coming from person sitting in front of you.
    I'm in the front row baby!

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

After playing for them last season, Brandon Phillips is now part-owner of the Lexington Legends.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Random question...do you know if they are selling the media guides this year? I've built up a little collection of them the last decade, but the cashier at the team shop said they didn't know if media guides were being printed this season.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

So, as you can note I've refrained from giving you all an update on this. That was because I have unfortunately not been able to speak with my inside man/woman over the past 12 weeks so I didn't have anything to update.

Today, however, I did finally get to speak with him/her.

As I had already guessed, the Reds have decided that for the 2021 season they'll go with just one Arizona club and only one Dominican club. There are six organizations that will be going with two domestic complex level teams (ACL & FCL) and eighteen organizations are going with two international teams (DSL). That's going to put the Reds at a disadvantage.

Due to the lack of roster spots available we can predict that the first three weeks or so of the Arizona Complex League is going to act temporarily as a try-out for some of the Reds current farmhands. After the 2021 draft signees are folded-in some are going to get cut.

The one thing working in those player's favor right now is the sheer amount of injured players the Reds currently have. With 290 players currently under contract, at least 50 are injured.

The Arizona Complex League and the Florida Complex League kick off today, the Dominican Summer League kicks off July 12th.

Turn Off Ads?