Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 Affiliation Dance - This year it's the BIG dance

Re: The 2020 Affiliation Dance - This year it's the BIG dance

Lexington fits better in the Midwest, But Midwest is supposedly already losing 2 teams.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

If this goes down tomorrow here's my call;

AAA - Louisville
    AA - Bowling Green
    High A - Dayton
    Low A - Augusta (my fear is that they dump Lynchburg on us even though Indians need a Low A team and are already in Lynchburg)

Chattanooga, Billings, Greeneville, and Daytona ......RIP

Nothing announced today. Ballpark Digest who thought it might be out today, says we are waiting on one team.

"Things are pretty much final now. One team decision left to make after a big decision involving three MiLB affiliates and three MLB teams one being the Jays — was hammered out yesterday morning."

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    If this goes down tomorrow here's my call;

AAA - Louisville
    AA - Bowling Green
    High A - Dayton
    Low A - Augusta (my fear is that they dump Lynchburg on us even though Indians need a Low A team and are already in Lynchburg)

Chattanooga, Billings, Greeneville, and Daytona ......RIP
    I've heard some speculation, and some rumors that I'll keep to myself. But I'll say this: I haven't heard anything about Bowling Green or Augusta. That doesn't mean it's not happening, but that's not what I've heard.

Hoping for the best for the people I know in Chattanooga and Daytona. I have zero hope that Billings is getting anything as far as MiLB goes, and Greeneville of course, is already moving to a college summer league.

NY Mets have announced have announced their new affiliations.

Triple-A will remain in Syracuse. Double-A Binghamton, Brookly will be High-A. St. Lucie will be Low-A. Columbia has been dropped.

Edit; I guess it's a NY thing. Columbia found out via Twitter.

Edit 2; Per Matt Kardos on Twitter - "Baseball America reports that numerous sources said Columbia has another affiliate already. "
    Glad to see Brooklyn moving up. That's a great park.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

Mitri (11-17-2020)

With the demise of the rookie leagues, low A will be the next step up from the team training sites. It appears that most teams want to keep MiLB clubs in low A close so that they can minimize costs between the two sites. Cincinnati, Cleveland, and the Cubs will need to take a low A site in the eastern time zone, however. That could be the hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    With the demise of the rookie leagues, low A will be the next step up from the team training sites. It appears that most teams want to keep MiLB clubs in low A close so that they can minimize costs between the two sites. Cincinnati, Cleveland, and the Cubs will need to take a low A site in the eastern time zone, however. That could be the hold up.
    I think you might be a little confused. There's no such thing as a "training site". If you mean the complex level rookie league that's still going to exist - that's going to be at the spring training facility for each club. In Cincinnati's case, that's Goodyear, Arizona. Having a Low-A team in the Eastern time zone would not make for easy or cheap travel from the level below it.

What teams are seemingly trying to do (and MLB is basically forcing them to do - making some MLB organizations upset in the process), is set up their Low-A, Advanced-A, Double-A, and Triple-A teams in a way that they are geographically closer to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think you might be a little confused. There's no such thing as a "training site". If you mean the complex level rookie league that's still going to exist - that's going to be at the spring training facility for each club. In Cincinnati's case, that's Goodyear, Arizona. Having a Low-A team in the Eastern time zone would not make for easy or cheap travel from the level below it.

What teams are seemingly trying to do (and MLB is basically forcing them to do - making some MLB organizations upset in the process), is set up their Low-A, Advanced-A, Double-A, and Triple-A teams in a way that they are geographically closer to each other.
    Complex level rookie league was the term I was looking for when I came up with training site. Yes, that was my point that these three ball clubs with Arizona complexes would not be afforded the opportunity to have a nearby low A team. My supposition is that movements between the complex level rookie league and low A affiliate would occur most frequently.

Teams must have a plan for utilizing the new minor league structure they created. Will the players in the college senior leagues be subject to the MLB draft? Will the draft be reduced to fewer rounds? Will there be fewer players at the complex level rookie league? Will all leagues start in April?

This is one time that having a spring training site in Florida is an advantage. You can have your Low A team in the same facility as your Rookie Leagues. 10 teams will have this.

But yes, the plan is less players, less rounds of draft, draft later in year. In a non-Covid year I think everything is planned to be full-season.

Per Dougs comment, yes, not only teams closer to each other, but closer to the parent, also.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Complex level rookie league was the term I was looking for when I came up with training site. Yes, that was my point that these three ball clubs with Arizona complexes would not be afforded the opportunity to have a nearby low A team. My supposition is that movements between the complex level rookie league and low A affiliate would occur most frequently.

Teams must have a plan for utilizing the new minor league structure they created. Will the players in the college senior leagues be subject to the MLB draft? Will the draft be reduced to fewer rounds? Will there be fewer players at the complex level rookie league? Will all leagues start in April?
    The wood bat college summer league(s) being created by MLB in these (soon to be former) MiLB cities are going to be "for the best college draft eligible seniors", so the purpose there is to try and get more eyes on those kinds of guys.

The expectation is that the draft will be reduced, round wise - but that isn't official yet.

Complex level should have the same number of players - sort of. Once the season begins for them, which still seems like it will be mid-season (usually around the 3rd week of June, but where it gets interesting is that usually fell 2 weeks after the draft, and with the draft now being moved to 5-6 weeks later, will those draft picks basically not play unless they sign very quickly, and then still just get like 1 month of playing time?). I think the bigger question is what things will look like in extended spring training in terms of numbers. Even when there aren't actual games happening, guys have to still be on a "roster', even if it's just for paper procedural purposes. With the elimination of two rookie level teams, there just aren't the same number of roster spots available. That is going to lead to fewer players in the organization, as well as fewer players out in Goodyear before the Arizona Rookie League begins.

The Arizona Rookie League, unless there is a change coming that I haven't heard about, isn't starting in April like the full season leagues will.

Any hope Reds might end up in Charleston, WV for Low A is apparently gone. They've been eliminated as affiliated team. Will try to be a member of wood bat Appy League.

So here's an interesting little factoid I've discovered. Most people think the Reds need to find a new Low A team in the South Atlantic League. Mike DeWine (Ohio Governor), is a long time Reds fan. Lives in the Greater Dayton area.

Mike DeWine's family owns the Asheville Tourists in the South Atlantic League !!

So here's an interesting little factoid I've discovered. Most people think the Reds need to find a new Low A team in the South Atlantic League. Mike DeWine (Ohio Governor), is a long time Reds fan. Lives in the Greater Dayton area.

Mike DeWine's family owns the Asheville Tourists in the South Atlantic League !!
    I am hoping you’re on to something here. Brian DeWine and his wife have had the franchise in Asheville for 10 years. They do a fantastic job there. We’ve attended numerous games at McCormick. He, his wife, and two kids practically live at the ballpark. The Asheville Tourists have been the Low A team of the Rockies since Colorado’s inception. I have been quietly hoping the Reds end up in Asheville. Sparky Anderson managed the Asheville Tourists in 1968 when they were a Reds affiliate. The park is unique and the games are well attended. I don’t know the relation between the governor and Brian. Brian attended Ohio State and Clemson. Locating the Low A team in Asheville would be something I would love to see.

16. Likes:

BillDoran (11-16-2020),Edd Roush (11-16-2020)

https://www.click2houston.com/sports...2-sources-say/

Houston is on the verge of buying the Sugar Land Skeeters, an independent league team. They are going to make them their Triple-A squad. Where that leaves Round Rock is unknown to me.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    https://www.click2houston.com/sports...2-sources-say/

Houston is on the verge of buying the Sugar Land Skeeters, an independent league team. They are going to make them their Triple-A squad. Where that leaves Round Rock is unknown to me.
    Other reports are that the Astros are only buying a stake in the Skeeters, not outright buying them. https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/...93542054916101

Turn Off Ads?