Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 Affiliation Dance - This year it's the BIG dance

Re: The 2020 Affiliation Dance - This year it's the BIG dance

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Other reports are that the Astros are only buying a stake in the Skeeters, not outright buying them. https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/...93542054916101
    TBH, just buying a stake in the team makes more sense to me. I simply posted what I read.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Numerous reports that Dec 1st is announcement date....so I guess we'll know then if it doesn't sneak out first.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Numerous reports that Dec 1st is announcement date....so I guess we'll know then if it doesn't sneak out first.
    I would seriously question that date if I were you.

Non-tender deadline is the next day.

This is something that one would think would be reported via the virtual Winter Meetings that begin on the 6th.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Have some links to such reports?

I know a guy who would like to read and share them.

Here's one from Rochester paper. Red Wings GM says they will have new Affiliate by Dec 1.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com...te/6244609002/

Here's another from a the Round Rock Express President

Express President Chris Almendarez told me, "we've had great relationship with @Astros. But under new #MLB/#MiLB arrangement, everybody is a free agent. We were told we'd hear something Dec. 1. Now this report is out. We have not heard anything from #Astros or @Rangers
    Quote Tweet
    Last edited by JaxRed; 11-17-2020 at 10:29 AM.

The latest update from Ballpark Digest indicates Daytona 'made the cut'. If so I'm shocked !

And they have Chattanooga surviving also, and Doug says that's what he's been hearing recently.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 11-17-2020 at 09:38 PM.

Rochester Red Wings to become Nationals' Triple-A affiliate
    The Nationals will have a new Triple-A affiliate in 2021, as they’ve reached an agreement with the Rochester Red Wings, Justin Murphy and Sean Lahman of the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle report. The move to partner with the Nationals will end an 18-year affiliation between the Red Wings and the Twins. The length of the new player development contract between the Nats and Red Wings hasn’t been announced, although such agreements are generally for two years or for four years.QUOTE

The appeal for the Nationals in this deal is quite apparent. The Nats just wrapped up a two-year PDC with the Fresno Grizzlies after an awkward game of musical chairs between several teams and the few available Triple-A affiliates two years ago left them as the last two potential partners standing. Fresno is nearly 2,800 miles and more than a six-hour flight from Nationals Park. It was never an ideal fit. Rochester is a mere 382 miles, with a flight to D.C. checking in at about 90 minutes.

Shuttling players between Triple-A and the big leagues will be vastly easier for the Nats in 2021 and beyond. They’ll also surely be pleased to move their young pitchers from the hitters’ paradise that is the Pacific Coast League to a friendlier setting in the International League.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...uJHe9NURjVX_3E

The latest update from Ballpark Digest indicates Daytona 'made the cut'. If so I'm shocked !

And they have Chattanooga surviving also, and Doug says that's what he's been hearing recently.
    I’ve been keeping my powder dry in terms of complaining about Chattanooga but that park and team (and I don’t care who its MLB parent is) is a gem and I can’t be convinced it should be cut, given that cuts will be made. It really makes no sense.

Great news! Not over yet however.

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-19-2020)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I’ve been keeping my powder dry in terms of complaining about Chattanooga but that park and team (and I don’t care who its MLB parent is) is a gem and I can’t be convinced it should be cut, given that cuts will be made. It really makes no sense.

Plus, you can get your hair cut there while watching the game! That park has so much folksy charm and it is a nice place to visit.

That ballpark sucks out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That ballpark sucks out loud.
    It’s been I don’t know - 5 years since I’ve been there. I seem to recall some of the seats down the line and/or outfield being not much more than metal bleachers. But nothing outrageous compared to some of your average MILB stadiums. Genuinely curious what makes it so bad/so bad now? I’d think a little renovations could clean it up.

MILB stadiums aren’t all gonna be like Dayton (I find that park great...but maybe I’m easy to please).

The only thing that makes sense for Nooga to fold for me is if they sold the park for the proverbial scraps - that town is having a nice resurgence and I imagine that property is very valuable.

It’s been I don’t know - 5 years since I’ve been there. I seem to recall some of the seats down the line and/or outfield being not much more than metal bleachers. But nothing outrageous compared to some of your average MILB stadiums. Genuinely curious what makes it so bad/so bad now? I’d think a little renovations could clean it up.

MILB stadiums aren’t all gonna be like Dayton (I find that park great...but maybe I’m easy to please).

The only thing that makes sense for Nooga to fold for me is if they sold the park for the proverbial scraps - that town is having a nice resurgence and I imagine that property is very valuable.
    From the player/team standpoint, that ballpark is pitiful.

The clubhouse isn't connected to the dugout. Instead, if you need treatment or anything else you have to go out beyond the outfield wall to do it, because that's where the clubhouse is located. The batting cages are uncovered and behind the seats. Players use those during the game at times and fans can just be right there, up in their business. For a stadium built in 2000, it feels like a stadium that was built in 1940 when it comes to player/team usefulness and amenities.

15. Likes:

kaldaniels (11-19-2020)

And I think Chattanooga has said they can't do much to improve it because there is no space. I haven't heard any talk of a new stadium, which is what it sounds like they need.

And I think Chattanooga has said they can't do much to improve it because there is no space. I haven't heard any talk of a new stadium, which is what it sounds like they need.
    I'm not as in tune with their stadium situation as I am with others simply because the affiliation is short lived in recent times, but I've heard from people that would know more than I would that basically the owner isn't going to put money into the ballpark because he wants a new one. Maybe the idea that he'd be relegated to indy ball if he didn't put money into the facilities changed his mind?

Turn Off Ads?