Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 Affiliation Dance - This year it's the BIG dance

Re: The 2020 Affiliation Dance - This year it's the BIG dance

Looks like the Hagerstown Suns are done. The owner says the franchise is done entirely. The Nats are dropping them.

https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/sp...ns/6463257002/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    MLB announced a MLB Draft League. 5 (soon to be 6) teams that got eliminated from affiliated ball get 68 game schedule. For draft eligible college players. All Star break coincides with draft. NOt sure how that works, Are players supposed to play for free after they get drafted?

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-draft-l...draft-coverage
    I have no idea why any of these minor league franchises would continue in such a situation once dropped. And why anybody would expect them to retain enough fan support.

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    For those wondering about the future of the Billings Mustangs, the former #Reds affiliate.
    Quote Tweet
    MLB Communications
    @MLB_PR
    · 7m
    In 2021, the Pioneer League will become an independent professional @MLB Partner League, providing high-quality baseball to the states of ID, MT, UT & CO. All 8 teams will continue participating in the league & maintain their existing names & brands.
    C. Trent Rosecrans @ctrent
    This, sadly, ends the #Reds long relationship with the @Mustangs
    I'm so glad I got a chance to visit Billings a couple of years ago. I can't recommend it highly enough. What great people there.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 11-30-2020 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    I have no idea why any of these minor league franchises would continue in such a situation once dropped. And why anybody would expect them to retain enough fan support.
    My wife and I were fortunate enough to attend a game in Hagerstown in 2014. It was the deciding game of the South Atlantic League Championship. We travelled up to see the Asheville Tourists win it all. It was a fun trip. The park was certainly nothing to write home about and even though they did some things to improve the park later, I wouldn’t have thought they would survive.
    Several years ago they almost lost their team to an earlier attempt to establish a franchise in Fredericksburg, VA. I forgot who the key driver was leading that initiative but there were issues with funding the park in Virginia. As a result, Hagerstown lived to see another couple of seasons. Another group has managed to build a park in Fredericksburg since then and I hope to catch a game there.

6. Likes:

BillDoran (11-30-2020),podgejeff_ (11-30-2020)

Looks like the Hagerstown Suns are done. The owner says the franchise is done entirely. The Nats are dropping them.

https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/sp...ns/6463257002/
    Cool.

And half the teams that get shunted to the new semi-pro leagues--excuse me, MLB Partner Leagues--will fold in the first five years. Great job all around, MLB.

8. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-08-2020),757690 (11-30-2020),Bourgeois Zee (11-30-2020),Tom Servo (11-30-2020),WildcatFan (12-09-2020)

There's talk that Hagerstown will be the 6th club in the MLB Draft League.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Last edited by podgejeff_; 11-30-2020 at 04:36 PM. Reason: info already posted

Since tomorrow (December 1) is "decision day" I assume word will start to leak out even if MLB doesn't make the formal announcement tomorrow. For example, if you are a team that got the axe and it's final, there is no need to kiss MLBs behind and keep to their announcement timeline.

Reading the mixed smoke signals. Minor League Baseball web site just removed the listing of teams by League, and the listing by Affiliation. Only alphabetical remains.

Deadline for Fresno to surrender or die has been extended. Have not heard how long. So.....is everything on hold? Enquiring Minds want to know...

More updates from Ballpark Digest. Both seem to indicate Reds will keep Chattanooga and Daytona. Kind of a mixed bag. I like that they keep Daytona since they are 90 minutes from my house. But the Reds over the years have shown benign neglect with their minor league franchises. Which is why we kept being kicked out of places and ending up in places like Bakersfield.

By keeping Daytona and Chattanooga, we are keeping some of the worst facilities in minor league ball in my opinion.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 12-02-2020 at 01:21 PM.

More updates from Ballpark Digest. Both seem to indicate Reds will keep Chattanooga and Daytona. Kind of a mixed bag. I like that they keep Daytona since they are 90 minutes from my house. But they Reds over the years have shown benign neglect with their minor league franchises. Which is why we kept being kicked out of places and ending up in places like Bakersfield.

By keeping Daytona and Chattanooga, we are keeping some of the worst facilities in minor league ball in my opinion.
    So is Daytona staying High A and Dayton staying Low A?

So is Daytona staying High A and Dayton staying Low A?
    No if we keep them they flip. Because the leagues flipped.

Earlier today Ballpark Digest said the list would be released tomorrow. (Dec 3rd), now they just tweeted no earlier than the 8th.

99% of rumors have Dayton moving to High A, not AA.
    my fault, you're right.

Earlier today Ballpark Digest said the list would be released tomorrow. (Dec 3rd), now they just tweeted no earlier than the 8th.
    MLB is freely sharing their ineptness with everyone these days. I have a strong suspicion there are going to be issues that come to light this year regarding the “plan” the MLB geniuses drop on the minor league systems. I’m thinking there will be modifications to the 2022 structure based on the first years experiences. For as long as these moves have been anticipated, I’m wondering why this is taking as long as it is. Oh well...
    Last edited by muddie; 12-04-2020 at 06:59 PM.

19. Likes:

M2 (12-04-2020)

Turn Off Ads?