Turn Off Ads?
Page 61 of 73 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Part IX -Vaccine Time

Re: COVID-19 Part IX -Vaccine Time

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    We drove to Utah in April and hiked the hell out of some beautiful, empty country. I kind of wish we had just stayed there!
    I think we just solved the metal monolith mystery.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think we just solved the metal monolith mystery.
    The slot canyon DID look kind of familiar....could have been my kids. Pranksters!

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I got an AirBnB on Lake Norman back in July and drove down. It was the best week of this whole crap year.
    Love that area. Our first house was down the road in Mallard Creek near the university. Every couple of months my wife or I will make a comment about leaving NC to come back to Ohio to be closer to our parents and we each kind of have a moment of silence where we simultaneously wonder if he we made the right decision haha. We do love Lakewood, though.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I want to take the family down to North Carolina next fall. Couple days in Charlotte, couple days in Asheville.

Lots of time in the mountains. I miss western NC so much.
    I love that trip, we did it when our boys were like 7 and 5, need to do it again now that they are older and can do a little more hiking.

I want to go somewhere really, really crowded. Like shoulder to shoulder.
    I am thinking Vegas with my wife and something like what RTG is talking about with kids. And I want to travel basically non-stop for the first year after this is done, I swear. Like always having a trip right in the rear view and another one soon to look forward to.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

6. Likes:

Boston Red (12-02-2020),M2 (12-02-2020),RFS62 (12-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I am thinking Vegas with my wife and something like what RTG is talking about with kids. And I want to travel basically non-stop for the first year after this is done, I swear. Like always having a trip right in the rear view and another one soon to look forward to.
    Once the world opens back up we're driving over the border to Montreal, taking the Acela down to NYC or DC (maybe both), taking the Downeaster train up to Maine, and we're going to Spain next fall. Also hitting some amusement parks, going to as many concerts as we can and jumping random cheap flights to places we've never been.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

Redsfaithful (12-03-2020),RFS62 (12-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    We bought a condo at the beach without even seeing it - 2.5 hours away and have spent a good amount of time over the last 2 months there.
    Which beach? Hard to go wrong in the mid-Atlantic.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I know it has a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, but consider China. Unless you are a real ham and egger who will only eat Burger King, it will blow your mind and even the kids will have an amazing time.

11. Likes:

Redsfaithful (12-03-2020)

Which part of China do you like? I've only been to Shanghai and Beijing, and it's like being in two completely different countries. While the Great Wall was cool, I don't really have much desire to do the Beijing thing again. I've told all my kids they should try to find a way to live in Shanghai for a few years.

Which part of China do you like? I've only been to Shanghai and Beijing, and it's like being in two completely different countries. While the Great Wall was cool, I don't really have much desire to do the Beijing thing again. I've told all my kids they should try to find a way to live in Shanghai for a few years.
    I've been all over, but like you say, it's like saying "Go to the US!" Do you mean Nebraska? New Orleans? Montana? Arizona?

I love Beijing, but my gf grew up there and knows all the cool places. Chongqing is amazing due to the Yangtze River. I worked in Jining for a few weeks once, which is not far from Confucius' home, and that was a great area. Honestly, every place I've been there has been stunning and the people so gracious.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Nature is a beast in my eyes, that includes germs from this virus which is running rampant. I'm not going to cower in the corner myself, but I'm certainly not going to kick a hornets nest to show everyone how brave and smart I am against a virus
    Jed Clampett? But that's been my sentiment since this whole thing started. Common sense. I know at least a dozen people (friends) in the tri-county region that have had it, and ranging in age from small children to a 90 year old (buddy's Dad). Thankfully, all, except one, recovered at home with mild symptoms (including the 90 yr old). A friend's brother and wife (late 60s) got it, and she was the one who had to be hospitalized for a few days.

It's funny though, how my behavior, my approach, has evolved since last April. And IMO, one's approach should evolve as we've learned so much more about the characteristics of this virus, and the myriads amount of data collected. Back in April I was staying away from major chains, hitting podunk IGAs at 6 AM when I'm the only one in the store, then coming home and spraying/wiping eveything off before I boiled my hands in the sink (lol). Why? I was basing it on what they were telling us, what they knew, at the time.

But nine months later one thing hasn't changed ... the primary driving force for transmission is still person-to-person, close contact with an infected person who expels respiratory drops thru coughing, sneezing, even talking. Catching it airborne or from surfaces, according to science, is pretty low, insignificant. And that is good news to us all. I wear a mask when I need to enter a business and avoid close contact as best I can.

As for the vaccine? I've been getting the flu vaccine for ages. And since I'm now in my mid-60s I also get the pneumonia vaccine. I've had no issues at all. Yeah, there are side-effects possible with any vaccine. And no vaccine is 100%. IMO, the "risks" ar far greater for many who choose not to get it. And I'm referring to those who would be at a very high risk, due to health issues, even if they caught the seasonal flu or pneumonia. I've gotten in several discussions with family and friends who say they won't get it, they don't trust it. Really? Then convince me, with sound scientfic facts to back up your argument, as to why I, or any person, shouldn't get it? No, I don't think it should be mandated. But again, I'm back to common sense, not paranoia and fear.

This virus is going to run it's course. Take precautions and do the best we can. We will survive this. But IMO, while one should wear a mask, it does lower risk, it's not simply the non-mask wearer's fault as to why transmissions are occuring. Studies show that almost 90% are wearing a mask when in public. I feel that issue has been used more to divide us.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-03-2020 at 06:48 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

15. Likes:

757690 (12-03-2020),cumberlandreds (12-03-2020),Redsfaithful (12-03-2020)

Can you please link to those studies? Isn’t that just the equivalent of exit polling for people that got COVID?

“Did you wear a mask?”

“Sure”

I may be misremembering but I recall that being the case with that “study”
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    I know it has a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, but consider China. Unless you are a real ham and egger who will only eat Burger King, it will blow your mind and even the kids will have an amazing time.
    I would love to do this. I'm hoping to do some significant travel to Asia with our kids. I've waited thinking it would be better when they are in high school - they are in 7th and 5th grade now. That might have been a mistake because we did New Zealand two years ago and I was really surprised with how great they did.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I've gotten in several discussions with family and friends who say they won't get it, they don't trust it.
    I hope this isn't too political, but something I think we've lost as religion has fallen out of favor in this country (and kind of been perverted in many ways when it's held up) is that you can't seem to make an argument anymore that we owe our fellow man. We're supposed to be looking out for our friends, our family, our communities, and vaccination is a way to do that. I think, for all its faults, religion was a good way to pound that message into people. But even church going folks so often don't seem receptive to that argument now.

19. Likes:

GAC (12-04-2020),mth123 (12-04-2020),WrongVerb (12-03-2020)

I would love to do this. I'm hoping to do some significant travel to Asia with our kids. I've waited thinking it would be better when they are in high school - they are in 7th and 5th grade now. That might have been a mistake because we did New Zealand two years ago and I was really surprised with how great they did.
    In this case, although I still think they would have a fantastic time even now, they would like it even more in a couple of years. China will still be there.

And just a thought, if you can swing it, spring for firstt class seating. You've been to NZ you probably already know what a hellish longways it is, but I went first class out last time of Detroit non-stop to Beijing for $2300 round trip. I never would do it another way, and it basically added a day on each side of the trip from not being exhausted.

Business class is good enough. Anything that gets you a lay down seat does the trick. Zerio jet lag.

Turn Off Ads?