Turn Off Ads?
Page 38 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Part IX -Vaccine Time

Re: COVID-19 Part IX -Vaccine Time

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Yea, interesting year to keep up the assault on teachers.
    It’s pretty frustrating. You’ll notice the same people who say things like “teachers only work 36 weeks a year!1” are the same people who think kids will be ruined by learning from home for a few months.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

M2 (11-26-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

Too political thread for this public thread.
    Last edited by Larry Schuler; 11-26-2020 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Yea, interesting year to keep up the assault on teachers.
    Anecdotal, but all my online-only high school teacher friends are logging more hours this year over last. Constant emailing, meeting with kids who can’t make the synchronous Zoom meetings, meeting with parents. They’re constantly shackled to their laptops. It’s having terrible effects on them emotionally.

Though I imagine most public servants working on salary from home are experiencing much of the same thing. Getting more hours squeezed out of them because work has intruded into the home.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 11-26-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Anecdotal, but all my online-only high school teacher friends are logging more hours this year over last. Constant emailing, meeting with kids who can’t make the synchronous Zoom meetings, meeting with parents. They’re constantly shackled to their laptops. It’s having terrible effects on them emotionally.

Though I imagine most public servants working on salary from home are experiencing much of the same thing. Getting more hours squeezed out of them because work has intruded into the home.
    I think that's pretty much true for any profession that can work from home, not just teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I think that's pretty much true for any profession that can work from home, not just teachers.
    I think the difference lies in salary vs hourly labor. Teachers have to teach for their 7 hours. Then grade, then conference, then email. Then grade more on the weekends. They don’t have the luxury of just clocking out.

If you get paid by the hour, you’re turning the laptop off and doing whatever.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 11-26-2020 at 02:33 PM.

And I think people here insisting ad nauseam that “kids are resilient” should speak to some child psychologists and counselors, fwiw.

9. Likes:

Rojo (11-27-2020)

I know I used to get in my car for my commute at 7 am and usually got home 6:15-ish. Now I just work those hours. I have a ton of daily standup meetings for status that take up about 1/3 of my day. Meetings are up too. I tell people I don’t get to do my “real” work till after 2 pm. And even then I get pinged a lot from various folk throughout the company.

The thing I miss is the social aspect of work. Talking about the kids, the wives, the Reds, etc etc. 99% of work meetings is actual work. Plus I don’t get to see real people. I sit in my basement with my headset on and 2 monitors and work work work all day. I think the company is getting more out of me but I’m getting a little burned out by it.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

11. Likes:

Boss-Hog (11-26-2020),Falls City Beer (11-26-2020),paintmered (11-26-2020),Revering4Blue (11-27-2020)

And I think people here insisting ad nauseam that “kids are resilient” should speak to some child psychologists and counselors, fwiw.
    This is actually well established in the psychological world. Children don’t have the same memory as adults, they live in the moment, from moment to moment. They more easily move on from adversity because the don’t remember it as long as adults. They are affected by it, but mostly in the short term.

Now, when it comes to trauma, that’s different. The effects of trauma are not based on memory, they affect the psyche, the sub-conscious and have long term effects there.

If you want to argue that virtual learning vs. in person learning causes psychological and emotional trauma, I’ll listen, but I will need evidence, data.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This is actually well established in the psychological world. Children don’t have the same memory as adults, they live in the moment, from moment to moment. They more easily move on from adversity because the don’t remember it as long as adults. They are affected by it, but mostly in the short term.

Now, when it comes to trauma, that’s different. The effects of trauma are not based on memory, they affect the psyche, the sub-conscious and have long term effects there.

If you want to argue that virtual learning vs. in person learning causes psychological and emotional trauma, I’ll listen, but I will need evidence, data.
    I’m not just talking about toddlers and first graders. K-12 is a wide range.

I’m not just talking about toddlers and first graders. K-12 is a wide range.
    Are you trying to argue that teenagers have long term memories?

Regardless, as a child’s memory increase, so does their experience and ability to handle adversity.

Regardless, as a child’s memory increase, so does their experience and ability to handle adversity.
    https://www.foxnews.com/health/coron...-mental-health

I would certainly never take your advice on child rearing.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 11-26-2020 at 03:32 PM.

I dunno. The more I read FCB's posts, the more I become convinced that summer vacation periods are torturous to students and likely to cause severe trauma later in life. Someone should do something!
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coron...-mental-health

I would certainly never take your advice on child rearing.
    This article says absolutely nothing about any long term effects to anyone, adults or children, absolutely nothing about reliancy. Of course everyone’s mental health has been affected by a pandemic. Who would argue otherwise?

This article says absolutely nothing about any long term effects to anyone, adults or children, absolutely nothing about reliancy. Of course everyone’s mental health has been affected by a pandemic. Who would argue otherwise?
    Lol what? You said kids are resilient. This article says kids are affected by isolation and stress. So you say Well we don’t have any long term data. Jfc you’re a mess.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I dunno. The more I read FCB's posts, the more I become convinced that summer vacation periods are torturous to students and likely to cause severe trauma later in life. Someone should do something!
    Yes because locking down and isolating is *just* like summer vacation. Identical in fact.

Worst summer vacation ever.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Turn Off Ads?