Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 73 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Part IX -Vaccine Time

COVID-19 Part IX -Vaccine Time

The news from Pfizer that its vaccine showed a 90% efficacy rate in its trial has globa markets flying. Excellent news in the face of Europe's brutal second wave and increasing case numbers in the US.

2. Likes:

redhawkfish (11-09-2020),RedTeamGo! (11-09-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: COVID-19 Part IX -Vaccine Time

Not out of the woods yet but it’s looking to be great news for humanity. This is what I’ve been rooting for! Awesome news.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Good news!

Still have a real bad feeling about what the next few months hold for us here in the US, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Good news!

Still have a real bad feeling about what the next few months hold for us here in the US, though.
    I second Doug - it's gonna get bad before it gets better simply because even if there are multiple vaccines in the next few months, distribution itself is going to be a herculean effort. But it's nice to see something positive on the horizon.

Outstanding news. If this holds, we likely see the first group getting it around the first of the year, and it more widely distributed around spring time.

The downside is that this vaccine has some distribution issues. It requires two doses and has to be kept cold. Hopefully others without these issues will have similar success.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Yeah, I’m ecstatic about this news but people need to realize this doesn’t mean you’re getting a shot next week. This is months away, probably sometime in the spring or summer of 2021 at the earliest. This does not mean life goes back to normal starting tomorrow.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (11-10-2020),M2 (11-11-2020),Revering4Blue (11-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Outstanding news. If this holds, we likely see the first group getting it around the first of the year, and it more widely distributed around spring time.

The downside is that this vaccine has some distribution issues. It requires two doses and has to be kept cold. Hopefully others without these issues will have similar success.
    Apparently McKesson Corp is helping out with distribution and I’ve anecdotally heard aside from commercial freezers the vaccine may be able to be shipped/held on dry ice for several days. Something to keep an eye on as yeah, hardly anyone has commercial freezers to meet demand right now.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Apparently McKesson Corp is helping out with distribution and I’ve anecdotally heard aside from commercial freezers the vaccine may be able to be shipped/held on dry ice for several days. Something to keep an eye on as yeah, hardly anyone has commercial freezers to meet demand right now.
    To be more specific, I am a freight broker, we are looking at around 10.63 “reefer” loads per truck for the United States as of October. To put this in perspective we had 4.35 loads per truck this time last year. This is an extremely tight reefer market as it is, the level in which this market is going to tighten even more will be unprecedented.

I wonder how this will be handled. Not many carriers have been buying new equipment so there are a lot of reefers just sitting there. I wonder if the government will buy new reefers just sitting out there and pay unemployed drivers or military CDL operators to move the trucks. Then they could sell them at auction once we are past all of this.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 11-09-2020 at 02:27 PM.

12. Likes:

kaldaniels (11-09-2020),RiverRat13 (11-10-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    To be more specific, I am a freight broker, we are looking at around 10.63 “reefer” loads per truck for the United States as of October. To put this in perspective we had 4.35 loads per truck this time last year. This is an extremely tight reefer market as it is, the level in which this market is going to tighten even more will be unprecedented.

I wonder how this will be handled. Not many carriers have been buying new equipment so there are a lot of reefers just sitting there. I wonder if the government will buy new reefers just sitting out there and pay unemployed drivers or military CDL operators to move the trucks. Then they could sell them at auction once we are past all of this.
    Just looking to learn here. If a vaccine needs stored at 90 below...how does a reefer truck get used here? Would you need a commercial freezer inside of a refrigerated truck? Or could the super freezers be used in a regular truck?

Just looking to learn here. If a vaccine needs stored at 90 below...how does a reefer truck get used here? Would you need a commercial freezer inside of a refrigerated truck? Or could the super freezers be used in a regular truck?
    There are cryogenic reefers that can go -150 degrees C. I didn’t read the temp requirements for this vaccine. Is it -90? This is going to make this even more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    There are cryogenic reefers that can go -150 degrees C. I didn’t read the temp requirements for this vaccine. Is it -90? This is going to make this even more difficult.
    This one, yes -90 F.

This one, yes -90 F.
    Ha, wonderful. This is going to completely **** the market. The first thought would be that “well screw other products! This is more important!”

The problem is think about reefers transport: food, medicine, chemicals. Freight that moves in reefer trucks is almost always essential for society.

This will be very interesting to see how this is handled. Another idea would be to go to the big LTL carriers and make deals to utilize their reefer fleets - think UPS, FedEx, Old Dominion, R+L, etc.

I dunno. Hopefully they have someone in charge that understands logistics.

From what I have read, and I may be misunderstanding, you only need to vaccinate 10% of the population to eliminate a lot of the mortality risk, so while widespread vaccination is still a long way off, getting to that point would be big. Certain limited parts of life would start truly returning to normal at that point, I think.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    From what I have read, and I may be misunderstanding, you only need to vaccinate 10% of the population to eliminate a lot of the mortality risk, so while widespread vaccination is still a long way off, getting to that point would be big. Certain limited parts of life would start truly returning to normal at that point, I think.
    I'm looking forward to being able to actually go into a store again and browse.

Like right now, I am holding onto dear life with my Galaxy Note 5. It's got some battery issues, and it's clearly not as snappy as it once way - but it works. I also know that I need to get a new phone soon. Shopping for a phone is something that I feel I need to hold a phone for. How does it feel? How quick does it actually react when I do a certain task? Can't exactly replicate that browsing online.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I'm looking forward to being able to actually go into a store again and browse.

Like right now, I am holding onto dear life with my Galaxy Note 5. It's got some battery issues, and it's clearly not as snappy as it once way - but it works. I also know that I need to get a new phone soon. Shopping for a phone is something that I feel I need to hold a phone for. How does it feel? How quick does it actually react when I do a certain task? Can't exactly replicate that browsing online.
    Go to a phone store

Turn Off Ads?