Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Part IX -Vaccine Time

Re: COVID-19 Part IX -Vaccine Time

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    The alternative is starving, so yeah. It's a big stick.
    Not to get too political, but the alternative is the government helping those out of work because of the pandemic. Pretty much every industrial country is doing this, some providing more help than others.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Likes:

M2 (11-28-2020),Revering4Blue (11-28-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

IMHO, the Yetev Lev temple doesn't need 10,000 people squeezing into an enclosed space, which happened a week ago, to celebrate a wedding. A religious wedding can still take place, outside, with social distancing, and masks.

Jewish, Muslim, Christian, Devil worshiper - doesn't matter who it is.

5. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (11-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Not to get too political, but the alternative is the government helping those out of work because of the pandemic. Pretty much every industrial country is doing this, some providing more help than others.
    Sure I know it works in Candyland. But this is America.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    That's Canadaland.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

757690 (11-28-2020)

And this is what Gorsuch and Kavanaugh missed, which is amazing coming from a Supreme Court justice. Here is Sotomayor and KeganÂ’s dissent:

"But JUSTICE GORSUCH does not even try to square his examples with the conditions medical experts tell us facilitate the spread of COVID-19: large groups of people gathering, speaking, and singing in close proximity indoors for extended periods of time ... Unlike religious services, which 'have every one of th(ose) risk factors,' ... bike repair shops and liquor stores generally do not feature customers gathering inside to sing and speak together for an hour or more at a time. ('Epidemiologists and physicians generally agree that religious services are among the riskiest activities'). Justices of this Court play a deadly game in second guessing the expert judgment of health officials about the environments in which a contagious virus, now infecting a million Americans each week, spreads most easily."
    Gorsuch was too busy grandstanding to consider that. Kavanaugh's opinion was an interesting read. He cited that the decision was to only grant temporary injunctive relief and that the merits of the case itself may still be argued should the case make its way back to them through the appellate court. That makes me wonder if Kavanaugh, specifically, might shift his position at a later date should the matter be brought before them again.

I also don't see much in the concurring opinions that would keep a city/state from applying grouping limitations based on a percentage of "normal" occupancy, as long as those rates were applied evenly across all "non-essential" entities. And, should rates be applied unevenly to the benefit of religious organizations, it may result in lawsuits from private-sector "non-essential" businesses.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

10. Likes:

757690 (11-28-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That's Canadaland.
    Great. They have a functioning government. We don’t. Now what?

When in doubt, maximize the kill count.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Would not hold my breath on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Would not hold my breath on this.
    Industries got trillions in March, people got some temporary crumbs. Now breadlines stretch for miles. But you know, keep holding your breath.

15. Likes:

Rojo (11-29-2020)

We could start holding our government accountable. Especially those here that live in Kentucky.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    It's pretty simple: treat everybody the same and don't highlight double standards by arbitrarily applying orders while attending mass gatherings of things you support.
    I don’t think the government can or should shut down churches, however it is not an apples to apples comparison. Churches are inside gatherings of people huddled together singing (and snoring). The protests you are alluding to for the murder of a black man by the police you have been been upset about for 5 months were outside and people were wearing masks. Also, you can shut down a church by locking the doors. You can’t really stop a gathering of thousands of people in city streets unless you want it to get really nasty, which is exactly what happened.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Well, this is what he said about this exact thing a couple of weeks ago. Depending on who asks the question, you get different answers.

The government is currently helping people out of work because of Covid shutdowns. There is unemployment payments for them and a moratorium on evictions currently. This does run out on December 31, so something does need to be done before then, but it’s not like people out of work because of Covid shutdowns aren’t receiving any help from the government right now.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Well, this is what he said about this exact thing a couple of weeks ago. Depending on who asks the question, you get different answers.
    Right. Neglecting to mention that, depending on the state, weekly UEI can be as little as $75. You can’t leave your house without spending $75 dollars.

Though most average state payouts are between 200-400 a week. Which is still pathetic.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 11-29-2020 at 02:27 PM.

Right. Neglecting to mention that, depending on the state, weekly UEI can be as little as $75. You can’t leave your house without spending $75 dollars.

Though most average state payouts are between 200-400 a week. Which is still pathetic.
    More needs to be done, no doubt. But we are not locking everyone up and letting them starve.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/28/asia/...hnk/index.html

Suicide data lags in the US—it will be years before we know for sure—but in Japan where suicide data is updated monthly, suicides are up. This month they’re way up.

Turn Off Ads?