Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Part IX -Vaccine Time

Re: COVID-19 Part IX -Vaccine Time

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Or maybe rice is the key?

I mean there can't be ANY OTHER reason that all the countries of the Far East have done well except a "mask culture".

ME"S A SMAET MaN!
    Mostly because they avoid junk food and don’t eat like pigs. People look up to places like South Korea, but they are fooling themselves if they think if we didn’t take a slice of America and swapped it with them but they wouldn’t have massive problems too.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    A big part of that is that they're an authoritarian state. You can't compare that to Europe and the United States. They have far greater geographic advantages than a lot of other countries too.

That's what makes Germany's success in the first wave so impressive. They were surrounded by countries that were being overwhelmed by the virus and obviously the flow of people throughout Europe is significant. Just goes to show you how quickly the virus becomes uncontrollable once it gets within your borders.
    Also, and this is coming out of Germany now that they have time to look at the whole thing, they kind of lucked out because many of the first cases came about because it was skiing season and most of the first transmission came about through young healthy skiers in Italy. They had time to lock down before it hit the mainland and attacked the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Mostly because they avoid junk food and don’t eat like pigs. People look up to places like South Korea, but they are fooling themselves if they think if we didn’t take a slice of America and swapped it with them but they wouldn’t have massive problems too.
    Well, I was being facetious and I don't like to jump on people for their habits.

But....maybe you're on to something about diabetes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4539613/

Diabetes affects almost 26 million Americans.1 Currently one in nine U.S. adults has diabetes, and the CDC estimates that as many as one in five could have the disease by 2025 if current trends continue.2 As many as 79 million people in the U.S. have prediabetes,1 representing more than one third of adult Americans and half of all adults aged ≥65 years. The yearly incidence of type 2 diabetes is 5%–10% in people with prediabetes, compared to about 1% per year in the general adult population.3
    The implications of increased diabetes prevalence are extensive, because of the well-known risks of cardiovascular disease, vision loss, amputation, end-stage renal disease (ESRD), disability, and mortality.1 It is promising that the U.S. National Diabetes Surveillance System has documented several important improvements in diabetes complications for the average person with diabetes.4 The rates of amputations have declined by more than half since the mid-1990s, from a peak of nine per 1000 in 1996 to three per 1000 in 2009.5 Similarly, annual rates of ESRD declined from 3.1 to 1.9 cases per 1000 between 1995 and 2008.6 However, as the average risk of major diabetes-related complications has declined, rising prevalence of diabetes has increased the risk of these complications in the total population.7 Overall, national diabetes surveillance data make it clear that advances in diabetes treatment are still needed because of the continued high rates of diabetes complications, but there is an equal need to implement primary prevention efforts to stem the current and projected growth in new cases of type 2 diabetes.
    Last edited by Rojo; 11-18-2020 at 01:14 AM.

I was being facetious and I don't like jump on people for their habtis.

But....maybe you're on to something about diabetes.

https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/library...panic%20whites.
    I’m not jumping on people, and I love people, and tiptoeing around the elephant in the room doesn’t help anybody. but I’m tired of being told how awesome Vietnam and South Korea responded to the coronavirus, when they would be struggling just as much if they had the same populace we do.

And for the record, I’ve helped a lot of people change their eating ways. My kids brought so many kids to the house that had never had a home-cooked meal in their lives, and they discovered how delicious real food can be. Somebody here once said that eating bad food is a lifestyle decision, but eating good food is also a lifestyle decision. Some people just have to be pointed in the right direction.

I think we would do well to eat closer to earth and not processed.

And that includes lame Fake Meat.
    Last edited by Rojo; 11-18-2020 at 01:38 AM.

I’m not jumping on people, and I love people, and tiptoeing around the elephant in the room doesn’t help anybody. but I’m tired of being told how awesome Vietnam and South Korea responded to the coronavirus, when they would be struggling just as much if they had the same populace we do.
    One’s health and weight has little to do with whether or not one gets Covid. It’s super contagious and anyone who comes in contact with it can and is likely to get it. The issue with health and weight is the that those with health and weight problems are significantly more likely to be hospitalized and/or die.

South Korea’s percentage of deaths of those who had Covid isn’t far off from the USA’s. South Korea’s is 1.7%, the USA’s is 2.1%.

The big difference is in cases: USA’s is 35,255 per million; South Korea’s is 572. This ginormous difference has little to do with health and weight. It’s not due to South Korea eating healthier. This is mostly due to who has taken the pandemic seriously and followed the advice of the experts. The USA did not. And that is pretty much always the issue.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

8. Likes:

Hypnotoad (11-18-2020),M2 (11-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    One’s health and weight has little to do with whether or not one gets Covid. It’s super contagious and anyone who comes in contact with it can and is likely to get it. The issue with health and weight is the that those with health and weight problems are significantly more likely to be hospitalized and/or die.

South Korea’s percentage of deaths of those who had Covid isn’t far off from the USA’s. South Korea’s is 1.7%, the USA’s is 2.1%.

The big difference is in cases: USA’s is 35,255 per million; South Korea’s is 572. This ginormous difference has little to do with health and weight. It’s not due to South Korea eating healthier. This is mostly due to who has taken the pandemic seriously and followed the advice of the experts. The USA did not. And that is pretty much always the issue.
    I would guess it's a combination of the two, along with other factors. It's rarely ever "one thing."
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

I think we would do well to eat closer to earth and not processed.
    Tried to eat laying down once. Hard to swallow.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

Wow, who knew that general health and fitness don't really mean much.

Did it ever occur to you that people who eat healthy and exercise have a stronger immune system and will not get sick in the first place? When you apply that to an entire country, the infection rate will be by default much lower. People like you are the reason that our culture will never change. You rationalize and find excuses for everything without effecting change.

Or maybe rice is the key?

I mean there can't be ANY OTHER reason that all the countries of the Far East have done well except a "mask culture".
    Where did I say it was just because mask culture? I linked to a study on exactly what they have done.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Where did I say it was just because mask culture? I linked to a study on exactly what they have done.
    The countries in the east are for the most part authoritarian. In Vietnam, the weekly per capita income is about $60, and they were literally locked in their homes for weeks. China did the same. Even in SK, the government uses very invasive techniques that would never fly here. There is no comparison.

The countries in the east are for the most part authoritarian. In Vietnam, the weekly per capita income is about $60, and they were literally locked in their homes for weeks. China did the same. Even in SK, the government uses very invasive techniques that would never fly here. There is no comparison.
    Good grief, someone said no country has gotten it under control and I provided an example of a country that has.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Good grief, someone said no country has gotten it under control and I provided an example of a country that has.
    Sure, but is it even relevant? China has crime under control because you are executed the same day the verdict comes in and it works very well, but it can't be applied here.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Sure, but is it even relevant? China has crime under control because you are executed the same day the verdict comes in and it works very well, but it can't be applied here.
    I mean, yeah, it's very relevant, because we know what has worked elsewhere. We just don't want to try and do it for a plethora of reasons.

17. Likes:

757690 (11-18-2020),M2 (11-18-2020)

Wow, who knew that general health and fitness don't really mean much.

Did it ever occur to you that people who eat healthy and exercise have a stronger immune system and will not get sick in the first place? When you apply that to an entire country, the infection rate will be by default much lower. People like you are the reason that our culture will never change. You rationalize and find excuses for everything without effecting change.
    I never said health and weight didn’t matter at all, just that it doesn’t matter much in terms of Covid. Plenty of athletes have gotten Covid, it infects pretty much anyone who comes in contact with it. It’s horribley contagious.

Being healthier is always a good thing overall and should be encouraged, and this country definitely has an obesity problem that needs to be dealt with. But that has little to do with how many people in this country are getting Covid. It is a major factor in how many people are going to the hospital because of it and dying, but as I showed with hard data, that is not a major difference between us and South Korea.

Being healthier does mean a stronger immune system, but anyone who had researched this virus will learn that it doesn’t matter how strong your immune system is, this virus will infect you if you come in contact with it. I mean, are you trying to make the absurd argument that the difference between 35,000 cases per million and 572 cases per millions is just that one country has a better immune system? What utter and dangerous nonsense.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?