Turn Off Ads?
Page 36 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Part IX -Vaccine Time

Re: COVID-19 Part IX -Vaccine Time

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I understand the laws are already on the books, but those are for polio, MMR, whooping cough, smallpox, etc. I certainly haven't looked much into it, but are you saying the existing legislation allows state health departments to add to the list of required vaccines without going back to the legislature? That's still going to be ugly if states try to keep kids out of school.
    Vaccinating kids is pretty far down on my list right now. Let's take care of the adults first and then figure out the kids.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I understand the laws are already on the books, but those are for polio, MMR, whooping cough, smallpox, etc. I certainly haven't looked much into it, but are you saying the existing legislation allows state health departments to add to the list of required vaccines without going back to the legislature? That's still going to be ugly if states try to keep kids out of school.
    I don’t know what the law in questions says, but it should be an easy sell to Congress to pass a new one covering this vaccine, if it means getting the country to herd immunity. And an even easier sell to parents, as herd immunity means life goes back to normal.

“Get your kid vaccinated and no more lockdowns, no more masks, no more social distancing.”

Sure, there will be protests, there always are over any mandate. But people want this pandemic to be over.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I think it's a really good point, kal, that the people we're worried about not taking the vaccine are way down the list of people who will be vaccinated. The olds should generally be eager to get it, and like you say, there will be a lot of evidence of side effects or not by the time it comes to giving it to the youngs. If it proves to be safe in those six or nine months, then it will just be the same old anti-vaxxers fighting about it and not the much, much larger group that is at best on the fence about giving it to their kids at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don’t know what the law in questions says, but it should be an easy sell to Congress .
    Yeah, but it's not Congress. It's state legislatures, and in some states it would absolutely not be an easy sell. And if you think it will be an easy sell to parents to give their kids a vaccine that will make their kids sicker than the disease they are being vaccinated for...well, I'll just assume you don't know many parents.

I don't even think the companies that are developing the vaccines are planning on giving them to kids because they haven't yet tested them on kids. Not sure what our friend in this thread is shouting about.

And if a supermarket has a spread of covid, it should be shut down. I'm quite sure there are more than 18 supermarkets in New Mexico.

Finally, kids do get covid. Most, but not all, do not have symptoms or long term negative health effects. That is different from a flat out statement that they don't get the virus.

Many governments, including my local government, are being over precautious in shutting down and/or limiting things - its definitely because a certain subset of citizens refuse to behave properly as members of this planet and we are all paying for their behavior. Basically, its why we can't have nice things and unfortunately that's just the way it is right now.

It may depend on the state. I haven't looked at the codified laws for all of the states, but if specific diseases are listed, then yes- it may take only an addition by a state's health department to add one. I'm not an attorney, but a cursory look at Texas law shows that immunizations are required for diphtheria, rubeola, rubella, mumps, tetanus, and poliomyelitis. However...

(b) Subject to Subsection (c), the Department of State Health Services may modify or delete any of the immunizations in Subsection (a) or may require immunizations against additional diseases as a requirement for admission to any elementary or secondary school.
    https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/S.../htm/ED.38.htm

So yeah, there could be a crapstorm of legal trouble brewing- both from those demanding Covid vaccinations and from the anti-vaxxer crowd, particularly if the latter group is unable to rely on existing exemptions to avoid vaccinating children.

Just wanted to throw that out there, because I think it's actually an interesting (and new) discussion topic.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I think I'm glad Texas's law (and probably others) are written that way. Generally better to keep the politicians out of it. But that's going to put enormous pressure on the heads of state health departments, who I have to assume ARE political appointees.

What a mess this whole world is right now.

Yeah, but it's not Congress. It's state legislatures, and in some states it would absolutely not be an easy sell. And if you think it will be an easy sell to parents to give their kids a vaccine that will make their kids sicker than the disease they are being vaccinated for...well, I'll just assume you don't know many parents.
    If the only vaccine available makes kids sick, then I don’t think it would ever be mandated for that, and it shouldn’t, imo. But that’s a hypothetical that we are miles away from at this point, and isn’t even worth discussing right now, imo.

I don’t know if a federal mandate is legally possible, but if it is, it’s an easy sell to everyone. We are talking about ending a pandemic here. If not, I would think it’s an easy sell to even the most libertarian of libertarian of states. Everyone wants this to be over.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

So COVID took out the workforces at those supermarkets. This has been one of the fears of letting the disease run wild, it can break down essentials like our food and healthcare systems.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    So COVID took out the workforces at those supermarkets. This has been one of the fears of letting the disease run wild, it can break down essentials like our food and healthcare systems.
    We saw this earlier in the year at some food processing plants.

12. Likes:

M2 (11-25-2020)

I think it's a really good point, kal, that the people we're worried about not taking the vaccine are way down the list of people who will be vaccinated. The olds should generally be eager to get it, and like you say, there will be a lot of evidence of side effects or not by the time it comes to giving it to the youngs. If it proves to be safe in those six or nine months, then it will just be the same old anti-vaxxers fighting about it and not the much, much larger group that is at best on the fence about giving it to their kids at this point.
    ? It's not the 10 year olds out protesting. I see a lot of people with white hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    ? It's not the 10 year olds out protesting. I see a lot of people with white hair.
    What are they out protesting? There are anti-vax protests? Already?

What are they out protesting? There are anti-vax protests? Already?
    Yes. They are made up of the same group who refuse to wear masks and believe this is a cold.

I believe it's a cold....for kids. Not for the olds. Get the shots morons.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Where are you seeing protests? I haven’t seen a protest anywhere since this whole thing began. I read about a protest in Columbus and Michigan, but I don’t see any of that around here.

Turn Off Ads?