Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 73 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Part IX -Vaccine Time

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: COVID-19 Part IX -Vaccine Time

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdaddy67 View Post
    I missed it, but sounds like the governor basically begged people to wear masks, socially distance, etc.

I'm sure that message will be well received and effective.
    It was literally the same message he's had since May, with the small exception of now having the BWC people enforcing mask mandates in stores (who knows how many people they'll actually have going around stores) and the threat that "if things don't improve we'll have to shut down restaurant, bars, fitness centers, and schools again".

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think he’s terrified of people showing up at his house with assault rifles, and frankly I understand.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Realistically though, there's not much he can do. It relies on personal responsibility and the willingness of the population to go along with orders. For one reason or another (virus fatigue, hypocritical application, rebelling, etc.), people just aren't going to do it. The state doesn't have the manpower to police this anyway, which makes enforcement impossible.

They can threaten closures/lockdowns, but many of these businesses are screwed regardless. A significant chunk of them know their chances of making it through the winter aren't great right now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/11/stoc...ssil-more.html

Moderna has enough cases in its study to review the numbers and release preliminary data.

It shouldn’t be long before their early effectiveness is released. They use the mRNA vaccine which if safe and effective would be groundbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/11/stoc...ssil-more.html

Moderna has enough cases in its study to review the numbers and release preliminary data.

It shouldn’t be long before their early effectiveness is released. They use the mRNA vaccine which if safe and effective would be groundbreaking.
    I think Pfzizer's is an mRNA too, so if that one is effective, these other ones probably are too.

7. Likes:

kaldaniels (11-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by NachoMan View Post
    I think Pfzizer's is an mRNA too, so if that one is effective, these other ones probably are too.
    Yeah, Pfizer's is an mRNA based vaccine as well. Both are groundbreaking, although Moderna's vaccine has somewhat more favorable storage conditions.

I think, realistically, we are looking at 4 to 6 six months for mass vaccination to occur.

9. Likes:

kaldaniels (11-11-2020),Kingspoint (11-12-2020),paintmered (11-12-2020)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/william...h=29cdf3752479

Moderna, Pfizer, AstraZeneca, and Johnson & Johnson are leading candidates for the completion of a Covid-19 vaccine likely to be released in the coming months. These companies have published their vaccine trial protocols. This unusually transparent action during a major drug trial deserves praise, close inspection of the protocols raises surprising concerns. These trials seem designed to prove their vaccines work, even if the measured effects are minimal.

What would a normal vaccine trial look like?

Prevention of infection must be a critical endpoint. Any vaccine trial should include regular antigen testing every three days to test contagiousness to pick up early signs of infection and PCR testing once a week to confirm infection by SARS-CoV-2 test the ability of the vaccines to stave off infection. Prevention of infection is not a criterion for success for any of these vaccines. In fact, their endpoints all require confirmed infections and all those they will include in the analysis for success, the only difference being the severity of symptoms between the vaccinated and unvaccinated. Measuring differences amongst only those infected by SARS-CoV-2 underscores the implicit conclusion that the vaccines are not expected to prevent infection, only modify symptoms of those infected.

We all expect an effective vaccine to prevent serious illness if infected. Three of the vaccine protocols—Moderna, Pfizer, and AstraZeneca—do not require that their vaccine prevent serious disease only that they prevent moderate symptoms which may be as mild as cough, or headache.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I’m pretty worried by how bad the spread is getting around here.

I’m also worried about the impact on those industries if there’s not some kind of additional bailout if he shuts them down again.

As bad as you might think it is in Ohio.... Illinois and Texas are more than twice as worse.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    We all expect an effective vaccine to prevent serious illness if infected. Three of the vaccine protocols—Moderna, Pfizer, and AstraZeneca—do not require that their vaccine prevent serious disease only that they prevent moderate symptoms which may be as mild as cough, or headache.
    Requirements are different from what they actually do. I'm more interested in that.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/11/coro...tive-data.html

Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla sold almost $5.6 million worth of stock on Monday, the same day the drugmaker announced positive early data on its experimental coronavirus vaccine that sent shares soaring.

Shares of Pfizer jumped by almost 15% on Monday after the company and its partner BioNTech said its vaccine was more than 90% effective in preventing Covid-19 among those in the trial without evidence of prior infection.

Bourla sold 132,508 shares at an average price of $41.94 per share, or nearly $5.6 million, according to a securities filing. The sale was part of a pre-scheduled 10b5-1 trading plan, which was adopted on Aug. 19, the filing shows, as the company was enrolling participants in its late-stage trial.

It’s unclear when Bourla found out about the positive vaccine data, though another executive, Dr. Kathrin Jansen, the head of vaccine research and development at Pfizer, told The New York Times she learned of the results at 1 p.m. on Sunday.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/william...h=29cdf3752479

Moderna, Pfizer, AstraZeneca, and Johnson & Johnson are leading candidates for the completion of a Covid-19 vaccine likely to be released in the coming months. These companies have published their vaccine trial protocols. This unusually transparent action during a major drug trial deserves praise, close inspection of the protocols raises surprising concerns. These trials seem designed to prove their vaccines work, even if the measured effects are minimal.

What would a normal vaccine trial look like?

Prevention of infection must be a critical endpoint. Any vaccine trial should include regular antigen testing every three days to test contagiousness to pick up early signs of infection and PCR testing once a week to confirm infection by SARS-CoV-2 test the ability of the vaccines to stave off infection. Prevention of infection is not a criterion for success for any of these vaccines. In fact, their endpoints all require confirmed infections and all those they will include in the analysis for success, the only difference being the severity of symptoms between the vaccinated and unvaccinated. Measuring differences amongst only those infected by SARS-CoV-2 underscores the implicit conclusion that the vaccines are not expected to prevent infection, only modify symptoms of those infected.

I’m open to discussion but reading that it seems like the author is trying to get us bogged down in the weeds.

Here’s one thing I know about the studies. They vaccinated/placeboed 10’s of thousands of people essentially fishing for positive COVID cases. One they found those in the study they can look (hope) to see if the vast majority of those who did not test positive actually got the vaccine. Setting up a study correctly can be a finicky thing but with each day mattering things do have to speed up.

A cursory glance at the article leads one to believe the study is just looking for mild symptoms of COVID and thats it. There’s more to it than that.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/11/coro...tive-data.html

Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla sold almost $5.6 million worth of stock on Monday, the same day the drugmaker announced positive early data on its experimental coronavirus vaccine that sent shares soaring.

Shares of Pfizer jumped by almost 15% on Monday after the company and its partner BioNTech said its vaccine was more than 90% effective in preventing Covid-19 among those in the trial without evidence of prior infection.

Bourla sold 132,508 shares at an average price of $41.94 per share, or nearly $5.6 million, according to a securities filing. The sale was part of a pre-scheduled 10b5-1 trading plan, which was adopted on Aug. 19, the filing shows, as the company was enrolling participants in its late-stage trial.

It’s unclear when Bourla found out about the positive vaccine data, though another executive, Dr. Kathrin Jansen, the head of vaccine research and development at Pfizer, told The New York Times she learned of the results at 1 p.m. on Sunday.
    So are they lying here? Your other link claims the study just looks for mild symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So are they lying here? Your other link claims the study just looks for mild symptoms.
    Preventing mild symptoms is pointless. Who cares? We're interested in preventing deaths, not symptoms.

I know people are scared and don't want to hear this but pharmaceutical companies are ****ed up rackateers who'll use their influence in media and government to make a buck.

And if someone like me raises a hand, they'll say "anti-vaxx".

Don't believe me, just keep your fear in check and do your research.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    60% to control the pandemic
    Is it that low? For sure I know 10% doesn't fix things, but if you vaccinate healthcare workers and the elderly it removes a lot of the worry about hospital capacity which I believe (could end up being wrong) would relax everyone. We'd still have to wear masks and be smart until that 60%, but I'm hoping everyone would be able to loosen up a little seeing the end in sight.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Turn Off Ads?