Turn Off Ads?
Page 65 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1555616263646566676869 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Part IX -Vaccine Time

Re: COVID-19 Part IX -Vaccine Time

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    No no, getting a vaccine (and you've had dozens in your lifetime) is exactly the same thing a heading off to another country to kill strangers. No two things in the world are more similar.
    “You have a duty to defeat the Hun!”

“You have a duty to inject yourself with something fast-tracked by a profit-seeking industry”

2. Likes:

Bob Sheed (12-06-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    He could weigh in. But it really doesn’t make any sense to then say “There is risk involved.” The whole post kind of unravels if my interpretation is incorrect.
    I meant both, but apparently could have phrased it better. There's risk that a mistake has been made at some point along the way, there's risk that there could be some sort of nasty effect long-term (although it would have to be really bad in both cases to be worse than COVID-19 in a large population). I think these are extremely unlikely from what I understand after such a large clinical trial, but of course nobody can say the odds are 0%.

And there's the situation that I was highlighting probably a little more in the post where we are absolutely going to see where a person gets vaccinated and drops dead two days later completely unrelated to the vaccination, followed by social media hysteria. That's just a certainty in a population as large as the one that is going to get vaccinated.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

The argument is: You need to put yourself in harm’s way for the betterment of society. I agree with this, but to what extent do we take that argument in a plural society?
    If you want to participate in society you oughta have to get your shots, but I'm sure there will be religious exemptions because the religious in this country are extremely coddled. Maybe that's good, maybe that's bad, it's a different debate, but it's true which makes it weird how obsessed you are with the question. As if there's any doubt whatsoever that anti-vaxxers won't be able to use that exemption to skip it.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    If you want to participate in society you oughta have to get your shots, but I'm sure there will be religious exemptions because the religious in this country are extremely coddled. Maybe that's good, maybe that's bad, it's a different debate, but it's true which makes it weird how obsessed you are with the question. As if there's any doubt whatsoever that anti-vaxxers won't be able to use that exemption to skip it.
    Why is it weird that I’m concerned with people’s ability to self-determine?

Why is it weird that I’m concerned with people’s ability to self-determine?
    I don't think anyone will be forced to get the shot. But like many vaccines, you won't be able to attend pubic university or public school, join the military, work in the medical profession, or work at most any other decent paying job. I am not able to self-determine when it comes to the measles vaccine, right?

And of course there is risk. If 350,000,000 Americans were required to eat a jelly donut tomorrow, there would be a certain number who would die from diabetic shock, allergic reaction, or choking. It happens. A certain number of perfectly healthy people die or suffer every year from the flu shot.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    I don't think anyone will be forced to get the shot. But like many vaccines, you won't be able to attend pubic university or public school, join the military, work in the medical profession, or work at most any other decent paying job. I am not able to self-determine when it comes to the measles vaccine, right?

And of course there is risk. If 350,000,000 Americans were required to eat a jelly donut tomorrow, there would be a certain number who would die from diabetic shock, allergic reaction, or choking. It happens. A certain number of perfectly healthy people die or suffer every year from the flu shot.
    But none of this answers the question of religious exemptions. Do we tell Christian Scientists that they can’t attend universities?

But none of this answers the question of religious exemptions. Do we tell Christian Scientists that they can’t attend universities?
    Yes. I don't know how it is done at every single university, but many do not allow a religious exemption even now, and good fro them. Even then, it doesn't prevent people from worshiping the way they want or believing what they want- they just can't go to any school they want.

10. Likes:

Kinsm (12-04-2020),M2 (12-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Yes. I don't know how it is done at every single university, but many do not allow a religious exemption even now, and good fro them. Even then, it doesn't prevent people from worshiping the way they want or believing what they want- they just can't go to any school they want.
    I know very few universities that are like that, but I’m sure many more will be that way now.

One we get out of the pandemic I would think (if it comes to pass) places like stadiums and planes requiring the vaccine will gradually pullback such restrictions. In the now, getting the vaccine protects you and others. In the future if this becomes controlled like say the measles or mumps, getting the vaccine will pretty much be done to protect oneself on an individual level.

A lot of “ifs” in that I know.

The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines don't prevent spread. It's entirely for the patient's protection. There is no social reason to make people get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines don't prevent spread. It's entirely for the patient's protection. There is no social reason to make people get it.
    It would take another trial involving more strenuous monitoring to figure that out.

Those vaccines may not prevent (or limit) transmission but we don’t know enough to say they don’t have an effect.

File this away under the category of “dumbest thing I’ll hear today”:

OHSAA coronavirus rules: Students can wrestle, but can't shake hands

https://www.wlwt.com/amp/article/ohs...hands/34874133
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

16. Likes:

GAC (12-05-2020),Rojo (12-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    File this away under the category of “dumbest thing I’ll hear today”:

OHSAA coronavirus rules: Students can wrestle, but can't shake hands

https://www.wlwt.com/amp/article/ohs...hands/34874133
    Hahahaha.

Ohio’s COVID precautions in a nutshell.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

18. Likes:

Bob Sheed (12-06-2020),dabvu2498 (12-04-2020)

“You have a duty to defeat the Hun!”

“You have a duty to inject yourself with something fast-tracked by a profit-seeking industry”
    Doing the former gives you a high chance of dying.

Doing the latter makes you healthier.

The is one of the poorest analogies that the human brain could possibly conceive.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I do find it amusing that the same people who are telling us to worry about the risk of getting a vaccine are the people telling us not to worry about the risk of getting Covid.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

21. Likes:

dabvu2498 (12-04-2020),Larkin Fan (12-04-2020),M2 (12-04-2020),mth123 (12-05-2020),RedTeamGo! (12-04-2020),Revering4Blue (12-04-2020),Wonderful Monds (12-04-2020)

Turn Off Ads?