Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sure hope nobody needs the Brent Spence Bridge for awhile

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Sure hope nobody needs the Brent Spence Bridge for awhile

Gov. Beshear: Brent Spence Bridge ‘at best will be closed for several days’

Optimistically, the Brent Spence Bridge will be closed for a few days, Kentucky's top officials said Wednesday afternoon.

However, state officials said that citizens and businesses in the area should prepare for the bridge to be closed for the long haul.

Two semitrucks crashed around 2:45 a.m. Wednesday, spilling potassium hydroxide across the major artery connecting Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky. One semitruck exploded, causing a massive fire that burned for quite some time in the overnight hours.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sure hope nobody needs the Brent Spence Bridge for awhile

The bridge should have been replaced at any point over the past 15 years + when Mitch McConnell, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, and John Boehner were in charge of this nation's purse strings, a true failure of leadership.

Equal blame all around for that blunder.

4. Likes:

Roy Tucker (11-13-2020)

Yep, it never should’ve gotten this far. The bridge looked like hell when I first saw it in 1994 when I moved here. I’ll bet they haven’t even done the environmental impact studies and negotiated easements to move onto a new bridge yet. In the meantime, the area around Louisville has a beautiful new set of bridges connecting Indiana and Kentucky.

For people working directly in Cincinnati and Covington, it will be a nightmare. If you are just going north and southbound on your way to other places, then I275 isn’t bad, though the traffic will probably increase now.

6. Likes:

dubc47834 (06-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    In the meantime, the area around Louisville has a beautiful new set of bridges connecting Indiana and Kentucky.
    That literally took 30 years to come together.

Price tag for a replacement has to be 5 billion or so now.
    Go Gators!

And now the Suspension Bridge is closed too.

Too many trucks ignoring the weight restrictions.

"Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

I think it’s a symbol of how broken and dysfunctional our government is. This is a no-brainer to replace and has been since 1998. Sit down at a table and hash out the issues. It’s called compromise. Find a way. The trouble is, any replacement of this bridge is a mammoth multi-year project.

https://www.brentspencebridgecorrido...ject-overview/
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-16-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think it’s a symbol of how broken and dysfunctional our government is. This is a no-brainer to replace and has been since 1998. Sit down at a table and hash out the issues. It’s called compromise. Find a way. The trouble is, any replacement of this bridge is a mammoth multi-year project.

I heard Mike DeWine say yesterday on the radio that basically the only way they can afford to replace the bridge is to make it a toll bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

I don’t even know where they would begin on the Ohio side and keep the old bridge open at the same time. I think they will have to do what they did in Michigan about ten years ago and just shut down 75 for a couple of years and get it done. They would first have to widen 275 though. What a mess.

And the toll thing is bs. A ton of people commute every day over that bridge and even a dollar toll will take 500 bucks out of their pocket every year, not to mention the hassle it causes business travelers in rental cars. Everyone in the state benefits from that bridge whether they drive over it or not, so just spread out the cost with a gas tax.

I worked in Ky yesterday, and my commute was over 5 hours because of this. If they forced the trucks to stay in the right lane it would help immensely.

If it didn't cross a state line it would have been done years ago, instead each state gets to blame the other for not paying for it.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    If it didn't cross a state line it would have been done years ago, instead each state gets to blame the other for not paying for it.
    The fact that it does cross a state line should have made it easier to get done, neither state has to come up with 100% of the cost. John and Mitch should have had this done.

It is approaching a birthday.

Construction cost
    $10 million
    Opened
    November 25, 1963
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

The Bridge is tentatively scheduled to reopen December 23rd.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Looks like they hit their target...

NB I-71/75 closed at I-275 as Brent Spence prepares to reopen

Northbound Interstate 71/75 is shut down at I-275 early Tuesday in anticipation of the Brent Spence Bridge reopening early, Kenton County dispatchers confirm.

A single lane that has been open on the northbound side of the highway to Covington closed about midnight.

The on-ramps at Buttermilk Pike, Dixie Highway and Kyles Lane also are blocked.

Detour onto I-275 to Dixie Highway to the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge to reach downtown Cincinnati. Or, take I-275 to I-471.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?