Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curt Casali on High Heat

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Curt Casali on High Heat

was questioned by Mad Dog about the Reds inability to get runs in with the hitters we have. Mad Dog pretty much said it was inexcusable, Casali pretty much said it's really not his place to say this, but the Reds might need to rethink our hitting philosophy. Stop swinging for the fences every pitch and play more situational baseball. Interesting. Will things change?

2. Likes:

goreds2 (11-12-2020)

Re: Curt Casali on High Heat

In short, be a smart hitter.

I'd appreciate the movement toward that type of hitting.

4. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (11-12-2020),goreds2 (11-12-2020),SidneySlicker (11-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInMS View Post
    was questioned by Mad Dog about the Reds inability to get runs in with the hitters we have. Mad Dog pretty much said it was inexcusable, Casali pretty much said it's really not his place to say this, but the Reds might need to rethink our hitting philosophy. Stop swinging for the fences every pitch and play more situational baseball. Interesting. Will things change?
    He's absolutely right. Castellano, Suarez, Winker, and Barnhart all seemed to be trying to hit just about every pitch at least 500 feet. I can think of three reasons for this:

1. They all grew up watching the PED induced home run derby of the 1990's.
    2. GABP and its tempting dimensions.
    3. The shift. And i think this is the big one. Guys getting sick and tired of hitting the ball sharply into the shift for an out for what was usually a hit for 120+ years. Why not just hit the ball out of the park where no one can catch it.
    Last edited by madeirawood; 11-11-2020 at 06:55 PM.

Or hit the ball the other way where the shift is not. what a concept!!!

7. Likes:

MrRedSkull (11-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInMS View Post
    Yes, saw the interview, agree - Casali said we may want to reconsider how hard we swing as a club.

Casali noted that teams deeper in the playoffs didn’t seem to use that same approach.

Personally, I was most upset about Winker and Castellanos. Winker’s overall numbers were good, but his game lost all that on base consistency. And Castellanos, the doubles machine, same deal.

Hope it changes for the better next season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-11-2020 at 11:37 PM.

9. Likes:

redsmetz (11-12-2020),Tom Servo (11-11-2020)

I wonder if that bit of honesty is a sign that he doesn't think he's on the Reds next year?
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I wonder if that bit of honesty is a sign that he doesn't think he's on the Reds next year?
    As the opening post points out, Curt prefaced the comment saying, in essence, next year’s hitting approach isn’t his call. He was careful and respectful in his statement, he didn’t sound like someone cutting his ties.

Of course, the trade of a Reds catcher is possible with Tyler Steve on his way.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-11-2020 at 11:41 PM.

12. Likes:

goreds2 (11-12-2020)

I'm impressed by Casali. He seems like the smartest "baseball" player on the roster, He's a very good defender who is in tune with Johnson's philosophy and he is a threat at the plate. He's not a full-time catcher, but if Stephenson is coming, I'd sell high on Barnhart's gold glove and keep Casali as the tandem catcher.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

14. Likes:

Banshee (11-13-2020),MG NorCal (11-12-2020),MrRedSkull (11-15-2020),Red Raindog (11-12-2020),RedsFanInMS (11-12-2020),redsmetz (11-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm impressed by Casali. He seems like the smartest "baseball" player on the roster, He's a very good defender who is in tune with Johnson's philosophy and he is a threat at the plate. He's not a full-time catcher, but if Stephenson is coming, I'd sell high on Barnhart's gold glove and keep Casali as the tandem catcher.
    I agree. Trade Barnhart, call up TySteve, and keep Casali as the other catcher.

Sell high on Barnhart?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

17. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (11-12-2020),BoxingRed (11-12-2020),Griffey012 (11-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Sell high on Barnhart?
    Exactly. Don't just settle for one or two albums. Make sure to get the entire Alice In Chains box set.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Exactly. Don't just settle for one or two albums. Make sure to get the entire Alice In Chains box set.
    I think Barnhart could be pretty marketable on the trade market with what amounts to a very reasonable contract in a time where teams are looking for cost efficient options to upgrade positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Kind of what I mean. Maybe he brings back a middling prospect as opposed to minor league filler.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Sell high on Barnhart?
    HE won a gold glove. It's not getting any higher. Everyone knows he doesn't hit.

HE won a gold glove. It's not getting any higher. Everyone knows he doesn't hit.
    Not trying to be snarky, I just really don’t think winning a gold glove is going to raise his value. I don’t think gold gloves mean anything, Votto has won one, Raphael Palmeiro won one playing like 10 games at first.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Turn Off Ads?