Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Trevor Bauer wins 2020 NL Cy Young Award

Re: Trevor Bauer wins 2020 NL Cy Young Award

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    3 Reasons Why It’s Not Getting the Play it Deserves:

1. Most Reds fans think he won’t be coming back;

2. Shortened season has taken the luster off these awards in general;

3. Still some bitterness over the way the season ended, in general - no ill will towards Bauer (obviously).
    It’s number 1 for me. I am ecstatic this happened and have really grown to like Bauer. However, I just think “that’s great, but he gone.”

If the Reds find a way to sign him this award will be more meaningful to me.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

mth123 (11-12-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    A few things that jumped out to me from this:

- No ROYs in the 21st century.

- Jay Bruce is the last Reds player to get a Silver Slugger (in 2012 and 2013). His game going into retreat really kneecapped the franchise.

- Eric Davis is the last Reds OF to win a Gold Glove. It's been a long time.
    Joey Votto should have won several Silver Slugger awards, especially in 2011, 2015 and 2017. He lead all NL first basemen in offensive WAR in those seasons; in 2017 he was the NL leader in WAR, all positions.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

5. Likes:

CaiGuy (11-13-2020),Edd Roush (11-13-2020),Revering4Blue (11-13-2020),Ron Madden (11-12-2020),Roy Tucker (11-12-2020)

An Ohio sweep of the Cy Young award.

So I had to look, and found out that from 1956(the first year of CY award) through 2019, Indians had 5 CY Young awards to the Reds zero.

But, in the same time frame, the Reds have had 9 MVP awards to the Indians zero.

Quote Originally Posted by foster15 View Post
    An Ohio sweep of the Cy Young award.

So I had to look, and found out that from 1956(the first year of CY award) through 2019, Indians had 5 CY Young awards to the Reds zero.

But, in the same time frame, the Reds have had 9 MVP awards to the Indians zero.
    The Indians should have had one in 1995, though. Albert Belle was clearly the best player in the AL that year, but the voters chose Mo Vaughn instead. Belle's caustic personality undoubtedly cost him the MVP Award, as he lost the vote by eight points.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

8. Likes:

mth123 (11-13-2020),Old school 1983 (11-15-2020),RedsBaron (11-13-2020),Revering4Blue (11-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    The Indians should have had one in 1995, though. Albert Belle was clearly the best player in the AL that year, but the voters chose Mo Vaughn instead. Belle's caustic personality undoubtedly cost him the MVP Award, as he lost the vote by eight points.
    Belle had a magnificent 1995 season. I believe he is the only player to hit 50 HRs and 50 doubles in the same season, as he lead the AL with 50 HRs and added 52 doubles along with leading in RBI and several other categories. However, when I looked up his stats this morning I was surprised to find he finished 1995 in a three way tie with Edgar Martinez and David Cone for third place in WAR with 7.0. John Valentin, a shortstop with Boston whom I do not recall at all, had 8.0 WAR while Randy Johnson lead the AL with 8.6 WAR.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Joey Votto should have won several Silver Slugger awards, especially in 2011, 2015 and 2017. He lead all NL first basemen in offensive WAR in those seasons; in 2017 he was the NL leader in WAR, all positions.
    Yep, him not getting the 2017 SS really bothered me. Objectively Stanton was the right call for the MVP over Votto, but he was robbed on the SS.

So now he will almost certainly finish his career without a SS, which is pretty wild and disappointing considering the numbers he put up over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Well, and the Reds should've had CY in 1981 so again we mirror each other sort of.

13. Likes:

Big Klu (11-13-2020),Tony Cloninger (11-15-2020)

Congrats to Bauer! First ever Red to win the Cy Young and hopefully not the last. It took the most weird season ever to do it but it was well earned and I sure hope the Reds can re-sign him.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-13-2020),Ron Madden (11-13-2020),Tony Cloninger (11-15-2020),UKFlounder (11-13-2020)

it's kind of fun that both Cy Young award winners and both Managers of the year winners were on teams in the same states and neither of the states were California which has more teams than any other state
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I thought Billingham in 1973 had a good chance going into September. He then went 4 starts trying to just to get win 20 and was terrible at it. I think he barely lasted 1 inning in 2 of those starts. If he could have won at least 2 of those starts to go with his already league leading 7 shutouts he would have had a good chance to win that.

Gullett in 75 was looking like that as well if it wasn’t for a Larvell Blanks line drive that broke his thumb. Seaver won it but it was a not a dominant year for him. Gullett lost about 10 starts and the way he was pitching he looked like a good bet to win it.

18. Likes:

mth123 (11-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I thought Billingham in 1973 had a good chance going into September. He then went 4 starts trying to just to get win 20 and was terrible at it. I think he barely lasted 1 inning in 2 of those starts. If he could have won at least 2 of those starts to go with his already league leading 7 shutouts he would have had a good chance to win that.

Gullett in 75 was looking like that as well if it wasn’t for a Larvell Blanks line drive that broke his thumb. Seaver won it but it was a not a dominant year for him. Gullett lost about 10 starts and the way he was pitching he looked like a good bet to win it.
    If 1975 was an 11 start season, Gullett would have run away with it. 1971 maybe as well.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?