Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trevor Bauer wins 2020 NL Cy Young Award

Re: Trevor Bauer wins 2020 NL Cy Young Award

Quote Originally Posted by 50YrRedsFan View Post
    Now how can the Reds keep him? Maybe Castellini can hock his produce company.
    Sell more broccoli.

2. Turn Off Ads?

A little surprised the vote wasn't closer. Bauer got 90% of the 1st place votes.

https://bbwaa.com/20-nl-cy/

Got to confess, I'm a little shocked by how little comment this has gotten. This is the first major award win for a Reds player in a decade (Gold Gloves are great, but a tier down from MVP, Cy, ROY in my book). Bauer became a cult sensation pitching for the Reds and won the team's first ever Cy Young. That's worth more than a little "wow."
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-12-2020),Ron Madden (11-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Do the Reds honor their MVPs anywhere in the park? I think these kinds of things should be talked about along with number of World Championships, League titles, Division titles, etc. The way big college football programs highlight their number of Heismans along with everything else.

This is a fun list to go through:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincin...league_leaders

12 MVPs, 1 Cy Young, 7 Rookie of the Years, only one Manager of the Year (how did Sparky Anderson never win Manager of the Year with the Reds?)
    A few things that jumped out to me from this:

- No ROYs in the 21st century.

- Jay Bruce is the last Reds player to get a Silver Slugger (in 2012 and 2013). His game going into retreat really kneecapped the franchise.

- Eric Davis is the last Reds OF to win a Gold Glove. It's been a long time.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

onehand (11-13-2020)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Got to confess, I'm a little shocked by how little comment this has gotten. This is the first major award win for a Reds player in a decade (Gold Gloves are great, but a tier down from MVP, Cy, ROY in my book). Bauer became a cult sensation pitching for the Reds and won the team's first ever Cy Young. That's worth more than a little "wow."
    Yep, he is a "keeper" for sure. Congrats Trevor.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    The Manager of the Year Award has only existed since 1983.
    The Sporting News and AP had a Manager of the Year award before that one. There's also a weird USA Today Manager of the Year award that evidently Dusty Baker won in 2010.

Sparky didn't win the Sporting News award (Johnson with the Red Sox in 1975 and Danny Ozark with the Phillies in 1976 won) but he did win the AP award in 1975.

I wonder if the Reds suffer from some big market bias with these things. How does the manager of the 2nd place White Sox win manager of the year over Lou and the surprise Reds in 1990? How has Joey Votto never won a Silver Slugger, even in his MVP year?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

In the 1970s, it was just a matter of which Red would get the MVP. Bench two, Morgan two, Rose one.

In the 1980s these awards got tougher for Reds - Seaver didn’t get the Cy Young as a Red, finished second to Valenzuela in 1981. Years later Cueto had a true Cy Young-worthy season in 2014 but lost to Kershaw. Those Dodgers.

Reds usually being out of contention, it’s tough. They got some GG mention, finalists, but only Barnhart seems to get the recognition these days. Hard to believe Hamilton never won in CF, he was amazing out there.

Does add some excitement to have Reds in the hunt for these awards, although winning divisions and pennants is the main objective. Hope the team contends more and we see more guys seriously in the hunt to win some.

Edit: George Foster MVP in 1977. Thanks for the reminder from RedsBaron. What a decade, wow.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-12-2020 at 06:46 PM.

Bauer: ‘Huge honor’ to be Reds' first Cy Young winner
    The Reds were the only team founded before 1961 that didn’t have a Cy Young winner.

“That’s a huge honor,” Bauer said. “For the oldest franchise in in baseball to have not had a Cy Young Award winner, it’s about time that Cincy had one. I look forward to being able to share it with the people and interact with the fans and Cincy at some point in the hopefully not-too-distant future.”
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...er/ar-BB1aXlBu

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    In the 1970s, it was just a matter of which Red would get the MVP. Bench two, Morgan two, Rose one.
    You left out George Foster, 1977 NL MVP.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

13. Likes:

Ron Madden (11-12-2020)

I agree somewhat and I think Bauer was awesome. The Reds should sign him if they can. But, as awards go, it's hard for me to equate a guy dominating for 11 starts to something like Joe Morgan being the best player in the game for a five year stretch, Johnny Bench leading the league in HR and RBIs while being the best defensive catcher in history, Joey Votto winning the SABR triple crown or George Foster hitting 52 HR in the 1970s era.

The Reds have had lots of guys who didn't win who put up a dominant 11 starts - Don Gullett a few times, Seaver in 81, Mario Soto and Jose Rijo a couple times each, maybe even Johnny Cueto.

I'm not really trying to diminish what Bauer did. He was the best pitcher in the NL last year and deserves the award, but its hard to get too excited about it when he only did it in about a third of a season and he's probably not going to be on the team going forward. I was excited about Bench, Rose, Morgan, Foster, Larkin and Votto because I was looking forward to more great seasons in Cincinnati. The fact that he was already off the roster before it was even announced takes some of the thrill out of it for me.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-12-2020),RedEye (11-21-2020),RedsBaron (11-13-2020),westofyou (11-12-2020)

It's awesome that the Reds finally have a Cy Young award winner, I do think that that this is easily the most obvious public accolade since Foster's 1977 season. But it was such a short season you didn't get to the tantric part about falling in love with a players output and riding it all year like the best wave out there.

It's kinda like obtaining the r best Mexican food you ever had from a cart and eating it in your car. Sure it was the best Mexican meal you ever had, downright tasty and awesome, but some chips fell in-between the seats and you got salsa all over the passenger seat too.

17. Likes:

757690 (11-12-2020),M2 (11-13-2020),Mitri (11-12-2020),RedEye (11-21-2020)

They call me "chef"

I dare carve my own unique station somewhere along the spectrum of “this is the hugest award ever for a Cincinnati Red” and “it doesn’t count because the season was so short.”

19. Likes:

westofyou (11-12-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    You left out George Foster, 1977 NL MVP.
    Oops, sorry. Reds really dominated that decade, wow.

I suspect it's due to the assumption by most that he won't be a Red next season. If he was under contract it might make for a 12+ page thread.

22. Likes:

Ron Madden (11-12-2020)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

3 Reasons Why It’s Not Getting the Play it Deserves:

1. Most Reds fans think he won’t be coming back;

2. Shortened season has taken the luster off these awards in general;

3. Still some bitterness over the way the season ended, in general - no ill will towards Bauer (obviously).
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

24. Likes:

mth123 (11-12-2020)

Turn Off Ads?