Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Krall: Shortstop, Pitching Are Reds' Priorities

Re: Nick Krall: Shortstop, Pitching Are Reds' Priorities

To me, without blowing up the team, the key Reds additions should optimally be:

1. SP making rotation six deep. One of Lorenzen or Miley begins season in pen. Bauer optimally re-joins, if not probably an affordable #3.

2. New shortstop.

3. RH platoon OF to replace Aquino. Reds did not hit lefties well. Someone who destroys LHP and plays decent OF.

4. Relievers with options, good thought by Krall.

5. RHH infield utility man to play second when Votto DHs (or sits) and Moose plays first. Maybe Reds use Farmer in this spot which Galvis inhabited for awhile last year.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-14-2020 at 01:41 PM.

2. Likes:

BillDoran (11-14-2020),REDREAD (11-17-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

To me, the key Reds subtractions might be, subject to finding an appropriate trade where player is signed.

1. Reds three FAs, Bauer, Disco, Galvis. Would be a shame if Bauer leaves, but can’t ignore this possibility.

2. Iglesias. Had a great rebound, sell high and get some good prospects. Bradley becomes closer, add less expensive solid relievers with and good kids to pen.

3. Aquino. Reds can boost offense with a more consistent OF who destroys lefties.

4. A catcher. Take a shot that Tyler Stephenson can hold down half the catching starts next year.

5. Non-tender candidates Goodwin, R. Stephenson. Goodwin strikes out too much for me, although rational to keep hm as fourth OF if Reds so decide.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-14-2020 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If Senzel is your 4th OF, you should trade him. You can get much more than a 4th OF for him in any deal.

Either he’s starting every day in CF or he’s traded. The Reds need to decide.
    I'd envision him getting 450 PAs in the role I've described. With his knack for being banged up,. he wouldn't get that much more as an every day starter. He's a young, cheap and athletic player who actually understands what the glove on his hand is used for. The Reds need more guys like that, not fewer. I'm perfectly happy if he's the Reds version of Chris Taylor for a year or two until he forces them to make him an every day guy. If they deal any of the position guys (besides one of the catchers), the expensive one who can't field or run and has been on losing teams his whole career is the one who needs to go. I know that doesn't narrow it down much, but since Votto is unmovable, I'll repeat my hope that Castellanos is dealt to free salary and make room for a guy who can actually play.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

6. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (11-15-2020)

Senzel is an injury prone player who in 492 big league PAs has an OPS+ of 83. He's not bringing back an every day player who is less flawed or has as much upside. He might bring back a one year rental who breaks the bank, but I'd gamble that he steps forward at some point. Until then, this team is built with a bunch of flawed guys who are playing out of position with platoon splits and incomplete games and is basically screaming to be mixed and matched. That would suggest the most versatile of the guys need to move around. That's Senzel and by default Moustakas. They need to do the best they can to hide the butchers while hoping Suarez and Senzel step forward as the team's All Star caliber position guys.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Senzel becoming an everyday version of the guy he flashed as in the minors makes this team a problem.

And it's right there. If the dude could just stay healthy.

If I'm Krall, I'm betting on him. I'm doing everything I can to get Senzel 500+ PA this year. His potential well exceeds what they could acquire.

Spend that money on SS and pitching. If Senzel sinks, turn to Akiyama/Goodwin (or new-Goodwin). The Reds ain't the Dodgers. Every position isn't going to be locked down and backed up by a capable starter. There will be holes in the roster and gambles made. Riding with Senzel in CF feels like one of the best bets they can make.
    Agree that Senzel will be the Reds’ CFer next year unless he’s in a big trade. He’s not a utility player.

He’s been injury prone, but last year it was a virus that infected millions of Americans, including other athletes. Bad luck, but tells us nothing about 2021. None of Nick’s past injuries affect his capabilities for 2021.

Sometimes it takes patience with a young player, especially if there have been injuries. Write him in the lineup in CF.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-14-2020 at 04:43 PM.

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-15-2020)

Say no to Trevor Story - he strikes out way too much - the Reds need to move past hackers, I'm not too old to remember a playoff series in which they had lots of guys in scoring position but were unable to actually hit the ball against good pitching and managed to score 0 runs. I prefer Didi.

As to Senzel, if he is healthy next year he is the CF. It's really up to him (or his body). I would doubt that he brings back anything of value in a deal - unless its a multiplayer deal. Of course, he'll go somewhere and become the next Mickey Mantle.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Say no to Trevor Story - he strikes out way too much - the Reds need to move past hackers, I'm not too old to remember a playoff series in which they had lots of guys in scoring position but were unable to actually hit the ball against good pitching and managed to score 0 runs. I prefer Didi.

As to Senzel, if he is healthy next year he is the CF. It's really up to him (or his body). I would doubt that he brings back anything of value in a deal - unless its a multiplayer deal. Of course, he'll go somewhere and become the next Mickey Mantle.
    Trevor Story is a shortstop who routinely OPSes near 900. If the Reds can get him in their lineup for a reasonable trade, they shouldn’t hesitate to do it.

I think those two games against Atlanta have suddenly broken a bunch of users here when it comes to strikeouts.

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-16-2020),Edd Roush (11-14-2020),RedTeamGo! (11-15-2020),Ron Madden (11-14-2020)

I would love the Reds to go all-in on Bauer. The only thing is I believe they're jaded on doing long term contracts due to the Homer Bailey fiasco. Trevor Bauer is not Homer Bailey! Bauer is a machine and he could be a very positive influence to our staff especially with regards to up and comers like Hunter Greene. I say we try to sign him to a 3-4 year deal (heavily bonus laden) because he's on record as liking Cincinnati and the team.
    The last 2 weeks of this past season showed what this team is capable of. Bauer should be our #1 starter for years to come. He's only going to get better. And if he wants to pitch every 4th day, so be it. I'm old school. If we went with a four man rotation we can save money by not having a fifth starter. Tejay Antone could be a long reliever and spot starter when needed.
    Remember this; Steve Carlton pitched 30 complete games in 1972 and won 27. Mickey Lolich started 45 games in 1971, completed 29 and won 25. He averaged 8.3 innings per start. In 1974 Nolan Ryan pitched 13 innings and threw 235 pitches against Cleveland. Luis Tiant went 14.1 and the Angels won in the 15th. After 3 days rest Ryan pitched 6 shutout innings against the Yankees, winning 3-0.
    This present-day mentality of hoping your starter can go 5 innings on 4 days rest has got to go. They don't pitch enough. Hell, they don't even long-throw between starts anymore. That's why (in my humble opinion) their arms have turned into brittle porcelain. So many injuries. So many Tommy John's. They don't throw enough to stay loose! No more 5-6 starters. No more 8 relievers languishing in the bullpen. Re-sign Bauer and let him pitch every 4th day like he wants. His arm won't fall off!

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Trevor Story is a shortstop who routinely OPSes near 900. If the Reds can get him in their lineup for a reasonable trade, they shouldn’t hesitate to do it.

I think those two games against Atlanta have suddenly broken a bunch of users here when it comes to strikeouts.
    I'd love to have Story, but I honestly can't figure what the Reds have that would interest the Rockies in a Story deal unless it's Castillo or Gray. Maybe Greene and Lodolo would be a good starting point with one of Winker or Senzel. I don't want to deal that for a rental. Not sure Stephenson and Garcia would do it. but I wouldn't do that for a rental either. I just don't think the Reds have enough good players to trade multiples for one guy or to trade one of their main guys for Story. I'd prefer a signing that doesn't cost any talent. Put me down for Didi, Semien or maybe the Korean guy, but I'd rather have some one who has a big league track record.

I think trades need to be of veteran guys who have some value, but don't quite fit, for younger, cheaper guys who could be building blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'd love to have Story, but I honestly can't figure what the Reds have that would interest the Rockies in a Story deal unless it's Castillo or Gray. Maybe Greene and Lodolo would be a good starting point with one of Winker or Senzel. I don't want to deal that for a rental. Not sure Stephenson and Garcia would do it. but I wouldn't do that for a rental either. I just don't think the Reds have enough good players to trade multiples for one guy or to trade one of their main guys for Story. I'd prefer a signing that doesn't cost any talent. Put me down for Didi, Semien or maybe the Korean guy, but I'd rather have some one who has a big league track record.

I think trades need to be of veteran guys who have some value, but don't quite fit, for younger, cheaper guys who could be building blocks.
    It’s one year of Story, and he’s getting $18M next season. He had little trade value. It won’t cost anyone more than a few B prospects.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It’s one year of Story, and he’s getting $18M next season. He had little trade value. It won’t cost anyone more than a few B prospects.
    If that's all I'm in.

I doubt it. The loser of the Lindor sweepstakes will pay up for Story. They'll both cost something that will hurt a lot IMO.

Why wouldn't they just keep him and try to win if they are just going to give him away? They want to deal him to restock, not dump salary.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-14-2020 at 08:20 PM.

Story and his 900 OPS play in Coors field.

I see Didi as the same kind of quiet, experienced, leader by example that Rolen was when he came to the Reds. And I think he could have the same kind of impact in terms of rounding out the lineup that Rolen had. He can also slide over to second and help Garcia develop at SS when they decide he's ready. I wouldn't hesitate to offer him 4 years with the same kind of enticing opt-outs they gave Castellanos. Story to me looks like more of the same player the Reds already have too many of. Decent stopgap, but I don't think he moves the needle in terms of wins like Didi could.

19. Likes:

mth123 (11-15-2020),RedsFanInMS (11-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Story and his 900 OPS play in Coors field.
    I’m not concerned. I can’t even remember the last time a star player left the Rockies and didn’t actually end up adjusting just fine afterwards.

21. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-16-2020),757690 (11-15-2020),M2 (11-15-2020),Tom Servo (11-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedsFan View Post
    I see Didi as the same kind of quiet, experienced, leader by example that Rolen was when he came to the Reds. And I think he could have the same kind of impact in terms of rounding out the lineup that Rolen had. He can also slide over to second and help Garcia develop at SS when they decide he's ready. I wouldn't hesitate to offer him 4 years with the same kind of enticing opt-outs they gave Castellanos. Story to me looks like more of the same player the Reds already have too many of. Decent stopgap, but I don't think he moves the needle in terms of wins like Didi could.
    Calling Trevor Story a “decent stopgap” and saying that he’s not as good of a player as Didi Gregorious is genuinely kinda insane, man.

23. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-16-2020)

Turn Off Ads?