Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Krall: Shortstop, Pitching Are Reds' Priorities

Re: Nick Krall: Shortstop, Pitching Are Reds' Priorities

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The "hell yeah" you hear circling the earth in the event the Reds trade for Trevor Story will be from me.
    We would have to bring George Grande back to broadcast his first game:

"You know his Story."
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Likes:

757690 (11-13-2020),Bourgeois Zee (11-13-2020),Chip R (11-17-2020),M2 (11-13-2020),mth123 (11-13-2020),RedTeamGo! (11-13-2020),UKFlounder (11-13-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    We would have to bring George Grande back to broadcast his first game:

"You know his Story."
    Fantastic
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (11-13-2020)

I would much rather have Story than Didi.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Krall is operating as if the DH is not going to used because the Reds' outfield depth can allow them to quickly adapt if it used.
    Who exactly will decide if there'll be an NL DH in 2021? The owners at next month's meetings? Commissioner?

Pretty important thing to know if you wanna get going on next year's roster.

I just don't understand what the rationale would be to going back to having pitchers hit.
    Last edited by TexasRedsFan; 11-13-2020 at 10:09 PM.

8. Likes:

goldglover9 (11-14-2020),REDREAD (11-17-2020)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedsFan View Post
    Who exactly will decide if there'll be an NL DH in 2021? The owners at next month's meetings? Commissioner?

Pretty important thing to know if you wanna get going on next year's roster.

I just don't understand what the rationale would be to going back to having pitchers hit.
    Both the owners/MLB and the MLBPA. It must be negotiated. The owners apparently are willing to allow the DH in the NL if the MLBPA allows expanded playoffs to stick around. The players association thinks that's too much to give up for the DH right now.

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-13-2020),Ron Madden (11-13-2020),TexasRedsFan (11-14-2020)

What would it take to get Story, who is owed $18MM? My guess is the Reds wouldn't trade Lodolo, Stephenson or Greene. Mix and match any of the others and you might have a deal.

Rockies are in a major state of limbo with Arenado's opt-out and Story's walk season coming up. Might be a good time to unload Blackmon's contract too. A guy like India might intrigue them, but probably won't be enough on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Antone pitched to a 2.80 ERA with 5.1 H/9. 11.5 K/9.

You want him in AAA?
    I would say yes and no.

I think he could still be in the rotation picture (not just bullpen), and you need 7 or 8 starters to make it through a season these days.

He's not the kind of guy you want in the top 5 on your SP depth chart. So if he starts in AAA at 6-8 on the depth chart, he is still very likely to get meaningful playing time in the majors. That's a very useful role, otherwise you end up with sub-major league quality arms filling those starts.

Of course, you could stash him in the pen, but teams don't seem to use swing starters much anymore either.
    Last edited by CaiGuy; 11-14-2020 at 08:16 AM.

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-16-2020),Mitri (11-14-2020)

For me the rotation is Bauer or bust. If they can't get Bauer, I plan on Castillo, Gray Miley, Lorenzen and Mahle with Antone as a 6th. I'd bring in some non-roster vets on a prove it deal or two and use the resources on the position guys. The need at SS is obvious, but it's not enough IMO. I think they need a RF of the future. Castellanos moves to LF or DH, That makes Shogo and Senzel a platoon with Senzel also logging time at 2B to give Votto, Suarez and Moustakas rest (with Moustakas playing the corners when one of the others is out). That would address the bench pretty well. Goodwin can stay as the 5th OF/PH/PR/Defensive replacement if he'll stay for cheap, otherwise non-tender him. A starting caliber RF who can hit, run, field and throw with all of those skills being at least average for the position and some being above average is needed. I'd also bring in another LH reliever.

Votto, Moose, NEW SS and Suarez around th IF, with Senzel and Farmer as the bench guys.

Castallanos and Winker can share LF/DH

Shogo in CF with Senzel playing a lot as well.

New RF

Two of the three headed catching monster with one maybe dealt for Salary relief and maybe bullpen help. Stephenson either in AAA or as part of the tandem depending on what they do.

Aquino might stay if the RF is somebody who bats LH and needs to sit against RHP (like say Joc Pederson if his defense is up to snuff). If they would use Senzel more as a Supersub as I suggest, they will need another bench OF and there really isn't anyone else on the roster who is remotely RF capable if the starter goes down. If they'd sign somebody like Puig to play RF, there probably isn't a role for Aquino, but they still need somebody. I'd prefer a younger guy for the future, but it's hard to acquire.

I'd prefer a bigger overhaul that gets Votto off the field and Moustakas back to a corner, but I doubt the resources are available. There isn't much young, cheap help on the way.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

REDREAD (11-17-2020)

So based on that article, it sounds like the Reds have no interest on Galvis coming back on a short deal.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    So based on that article, it sounds like the Reds have no interest on Galvis coming back on a short deal.
    I'd take him as a 150 to 200 PA bench player for $2 Million or less. If he wants more money or a bigger role, have a nice life Freddy.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    For me the rotation is Bauer or bust. If they can't get Bauer, I plan on Castillo, Gray Miley, Lorenzen and Mahle with Antone as a 6th. I'd bring in some non-roster vets on a prove it deal or two and use the resources on the position guys. The need at SS is obvious, but it's not enough IMO. I think they need a RF of the future. Castellanos moves to LF or DH, That makes Shogo and Senzel a platoon with Senzel also logging time at 2B to give Votto, Suarez and Moustakas rest (with Moustakas playing the corners when one of the others is out). That would address the bench pretty well. Goodwin can stay as the 5th OF/PH/PR/Defensive replacement if he'll stay for cheap, otherwise non-tender him. A starting caliber RF who can hit, run, field and throw with all of those skills being at least average for the position and some being above average is needed. I'd also bring in another LH reliever.

Votto, Moose, NEW SS and Suarez around th IF, with Senzel and Farmer as the bench guys.

Castallanos and Winker can share LF/DH

Shogo in CF with Senzel playing a lot as well.

New RF

Two of the three headed catching monster with one maybe dealt for Salary relief and maybe bullpen help. Stephenson either in AAA or as part of the tandem depending on what they do.

Aquino might stay if the RF is somebody who bats LH and needs to sit against RHP (like say Joc Pederson if his defense is up to snuff). If they would use Senzel more as a Supersub as I suggest, they will need another bench OF and there really isn't anyone else on the roster who is remotely RF capable if the starter goes down. If they'd sign somebody like Puig to play RF, there probably isn't a role for Aquino, but they still need somebody. I'd prefer a younger guy for the future, but it's hard to acquire.

I'd prefer a bigger overhaul that gets Votto off the field and Moustakas back to a corner, but I doubt the resources are available. There isn't much young, cheap help on the way.
    If Senzel is your 4th OF, you should trade him. You can get much more than a 4th OF for him in any deal.

Either he’s starting every day in CF or he’s traded. The Reds need to decide.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

19. Likes:

BillDoran (11-14-2020),Edd Roush (11-14-2020),goldglover9 (11-14-2020),M2 (11-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If Senzel is your 4th OF, you should trade him. You can get much more than a 4th OF for him in any deal.

Exactly this. I don’t get the insistence on making Senzel a utility player. If he’s not an everyday player at one position, he’s a bust.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

Senzel becoming an everyday version of the guy he flashed as in the minors makes this team a problem.

And it's right there. If the dude could just stay healthy.

If I'm Krall, I'm betting on him. I'm doing everything I can to get Senzel 500+ PA this year. His potential well exceeds what they could acquire.

Spend that money on SS and pitching. If Senzel sinks, turn to Akiyama/Goodwin (or new-Goodwin). The Reds ain't the Dodgers. Every position isn't going to be locked down and backed up by a capable starter. There will be holes in the roster and gambles made. Riding with Senzel in CF feels like one of the best bets they can make.

22. Likes:

Ron Madden (11-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Senzel becoming an everyday version of the guy he flashed as in the minors makes this team a problem.

And it's right there. If the dude could just stay healthy.

If I'm Krall, I'm betting on him. I'm doing everything I can to get Senzel 500+ PA this year. His potential well exceeds what they could acquire.

Spend that money on SS and pitching. If Senzel sinks, turn to Akiyama/Goodwin (or new-Goodwin). The Reds ain't the Dodgers. Every position isn't going to be locked down and backed up by a capable starter. There will be holes in the roster and gambles made. Riding with Senzel in CF feels like one of the best bets they can make.
    I lean toward your thinking on Senzel, but my qualifier is the people who make this decision in real life have to get it right. There's no net on this one.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

24. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (11-14-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I lean toward your thinking on Senzel, but my qualifier is the people who make this decision in real life have to get it right. There's no net on this one.
    Which is precisely why I would trade Senzel for a major league proven CF, SS, or SP.

26. Likes:

Chip R (11-17-2020),REDREAD (11-17-2020)

Turn Off Ads?