Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Krall: Shortstop, Pitching Are Reds' Priorities

Re: Nick Krall: Shortstop, Pitching Are Reds' Priorities

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I’m not concerned. I can’t even remember the last time a star player left the Rockies and didn’t actually end up adjusting just fine afterwards.
    Carlos Gonzalez
    Troy Tulowitzki
    Vinny Castilla
    Dante Bichette
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Carlos Gonzalez
    Troy Tulowitzki
    Vinny Castilla
    Dante Bichette
    CarGo was already on the wrong side of 30 and circling the drain by the time he left the Rockies, and Tulo was done in by injuries more than anything else.

So you’ve got Bichette and Vinny Castilla, which sure, that’s basically who I thought of first as examples of guys who busted outside of Coors. But they’re pretty much the exception, and that’s also pre-humidor Coors.

From my perception, there’s a more Matt Hollidays and DJ LeMahieus than there are Vinny Castillas.

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedsFan View Post
    I see Didi as the same kind of quiet, experienced, leader by example that Rolen was when he came to the Reds. And I think he could have the same kind of impact in terms of rounding out the lineup that Rolen had. He can also slide over to second and help Garcia develop at SS when they decide he's ready. I wouldn't hesitate to offer him 4 years with the same kind of enticing opt-outs they gave Castellanos. Story to me looks like more of the same player the Reds already have too many of. Decent stopgap, but I don't think he moves the needle in terms of wins like Didi could.
    I agree about Didi. I never used to put so much stock in the "knows how to win stuff," but watching this team last year, I think it's exactly what is needed here. Didi has a history of being on winning teams, should be affordable enough and plays a position that is desperately in need. The bonus is he won't cost the team any players. The Reds have a lot of guys who deserve playing time, but I don't see many guys, outside of Suarez, who look like 150 games per year starters. They are a bunch of mix and match players who are seriously flawed and they don't really have extra guys to trade for somebody like Story. I know he's a rental and he has a big salary, but he's also the best SS in the NL IMO and he won't come cheaply in terms of talent. They aren't getting him for expendable filler, the cost is going to hurt more than they should be willing to give. If the cost would be say Jonathon India and Tony Santiallan, I'd be thrilled with Story, but I wouldn't deal any of the teams main players for him, so Didi looks like the best bet so far.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-15-2020 at 07:48 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

6. Likes:

757690 (11-15-2020),goldglover9 (11-15-2020),REDREAD (11-17-2020)

I’m all in on Didi for Reds. Main reason he’s a low strikeout, high contact hitter who complements all the “grip and rip” on the team.

Story is a very good player, sure I’d take him, but he’s another 25% strikeout man.

Reds need to get away from that IMO. I’d sign Didi for three years and let Garcia eventually back him up and work his way in.

Not that concerned with another Rolen, I thought Moose was the next Rolen, but like Didi’s skill set for Reds.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-15-2020 at 08:21 AM.

8. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (11-15-2020),goldglover9 (11-15-2020),Mitri (11-15-2020),mth123 (11-15-2020),Old school 1983 (11-15-2020),REDREAD (11-17-2020),SidneySlicker (11-17-2020),Strikes Out Looking (11-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I’m all in on Didi for Reds. Main reason he’s a low strikeout, high contact hitter who complements all the “grip and rip” on the team.

Story is a very good player, sure I’d take him, but he’s another 25% strikeout man.

Reds need to get away from that IMO. I’d sign Didi for three years and let Garcia eventually back him up and work his way in.

Not that concerned with veteran leadership, Reds have plenty of good vets, but love Didi’s skill set for Reds.
    I agree with your first three lines, but not about the vets. The Reds have a lot of veterans, but they don't have veterans who have a history of being on winning teams. Only Moustakas has had some taste of that. The internal guys have been playing on teams that have mostly been a doormat for the NL Central and Castellanos came from the Tigers which has been about as hopeless as it gets for the last 5 or 6 years.

This team makes too many bonehead plays in the field and on the bases. It's more than just physical limitations of some of these guys (and there are many). Even at the plate, which is where most of this team's vets are supposed to be good to above average, they seem to have little ability to adjust to situations in front of them. Teams that win have players who can recognize the need to do that. The Reds just keep on being, as you say, "grip and rip" no matter what. The current players need somebody to lead them out of that mentality IMO. It should be Votto, but it's not him.

I don't know if adding Didi will have that effect, but he has the background, the skillset and fills the team's most glaring hole. I don't see a better match for this team's needs this off-season. The bonus is he doesn't cost any talent. This team does not have talent to spare for a rental.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-15-2020),REDREAD (11-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I agree with your first three lines, but not about the vets. The Reds have a lot of veterans, but they don't have veterans who have a history of being on winning teams. Only Moustakas has had some taste of that. The internal guys have been playing on teams that have mostly been a doormat for the NL Central and Castellanos came from the Tigers which has been about as hopeless as it gets for the last 5 or 6 years.

This team makes too many bonehead plays in the field and on the bases. It's more than just physical limitations of some of these guys (and there are many). Even at the plate, which is where most of this team's vets are supposed to be good to above average, they seem to have little ability to adjust to situations in front of them. Teams that win have players who can recognize the need to do that. The Reds just keep on being, as you say, "grip and rip" no matter what. The current players need somebody to lead them out of that mentality IMO. It should be Votto, but it's not him.

I don't know if adding Didi will have that effect, but he has the background, the skillset and fills the team's most glaring hole. I don't see a better match for this team's needs this off-season. The bonus is he doesn't cost any talent. This team does not have talent to spare for a rental.
    Experience is always a good thing, winning experience is a good thing. But as I said, I’m much more concerned with adding the right skills. Reds are a veteran team, they don’t need Didi as an example, they need his skills on the field.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-15-2020 at 09:45 AM.

Experience is always a good thing, winning experience is a good thing. But as I said, I’m much more concerned with adding the right skills. Reds are a veteran team, they don’t need Didi as an example, they need his skills on the field.
    One guy with the right skills isn't enough. The existing guys need to learn to adjust to the situation. Castellanos, Votto and Suarez have the ability to adjust and go the other way to drive in a run in a close game, but they don't do it. It may be too late for those guys, but guys like Senzel and Winker need to witness somebody on the team actually doing that successfully so they might actually start recognizing that need. Watching Winker fall to one knee while overswinging in the 8th inning of close game with the go ahead run on second base needs to stop. Having an example that can rub off is what this team needs. Otherwise, they need to change some guys out for more diversity. It's why I want Castellanos dealt. He's expensive, can't field, can't run and plays like a bonehead. Make some room in the payroll and in the line-up for somebody with the skills you are talking about. If the Reds had a bunch of fleas, a guy like Castellanos would be a great fit. He can hit, but the Reds are filled with Rip it and Grip it types. My hope is adding an example might change some of these other guys. It might not work, but it's a factor in why I prefer Didi to some of the other options. If that has no effect, he's still a good fit for all the reasons you say.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (11-17-2020)

Not that concerned with another Rolen, I thought Moose was the next Rolen, but like Didi’s skill set for Reds.
    "Grip and Rip" LOL.

DiDi on a 2 year deal, or Lindor as a rental without giving up Senzel/Lodolo/Greene would both be excellent. I see Garcia as the Reds long-term SS no later than 2023 and possibly sooner.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    DiDi on a 2 year deal, or Lindor as a rental without giving up Senzel/Lodolo/Greene would both be excellent. I see Garcia as the Reds long-term SS no later than 2023 and possibly sooner.
    In no way can you get Lindor without at least one of those guys.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-15-2020),Revering4Blue (11-15-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I wouldn’t restrict my shortstop pickup based on Jose Garcia. He’s not a consensus sure-shot prospect. He doesn’t make top 100 lists. He hasn’t hit higher than A+ ball.

He’s a good prospect and defender, but I wouldn’t turn down an affordable three-year contract for Didi if available.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-15-2020 at 11:54 AM.

19. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (11-15-2020),mth123 (11-15-2020),REDREAD (11-17-2020)

I wouldn’t restrict my shortstop pickup based on Jose Garcia. He’s not a consensus sure-shot prospect. He doesn’t make top 100 lists. He hasn’t hit higher than A+ ball.

He’s a good prospect and defender, but I wouldn’t turn down an affordable three-year contract for Didi if available.
    I wouldn’t turn down a reasonable 3 year deal for him either. But I wouldn’t pay through the nose for him or Semien on a huge deal either, there’s only so much money to go around, and Garcia’s presence makes this a position I wouldn’t break the long term bank for. I think Garcia will be good
    Go BLUE!!!

21. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (11-15-2020),Old school 1983 (11-15-2020)

Garcia being omitted from top 100 lists says way more about the flaws in top 100 lists than Garcia IMHO.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

23. Likes:

ochoa30 (11-15-2020),Old school 1983 (11-15-2020)

It really hinges on what the Reds think of Garcia. If they think he's going to be the real deal, then plan around that. They can hedge that bet (e.g. with a 3-year deal on Didi), but that needs to be something they're confident they can move if/when Garcia is ready. If they're unsure on Garcia, then they ought to be looking at option well beyond just Didi, Lindor and Story.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Garcia being omitted from top 100 lists says way more about the flaws in top 100 lists than Garcia IMHO.
    The top 100 folks would disagree. They’d argue it’s flawed to accept Reds’ fans love of their own prospect.

And based on what we saw last season, some Reds fan did overrate Garcia, at least in terms of readiness as a hitter.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-15-2020 at 06:31 PM.

Turn Off Ads?