Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you take Bauer, Lindor or spend money elsewhere.

Re: Would you take Bauer, Lindor or spend money elsewhere.

Elsewhere. On both. Especially Lindor. He is going to be a free agent next year. Stupid for the Reds to trade value for him unless he is signed in the deal.

Bauer is going to be far too expensive for the Reds to sign. He would end up another Votto type contract where the Reds are handcuffed. They should spend their money over several players rather than one.

2. Likes:

Sparky (11-16-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I agree with Scotly. Smaller market teams can't afford the large contracts, even if it is just for one year. Go get another starter to fill in the gap and sign Didi for two to three years. Money much better spent. I know we have Garcia too but he is probably a year away as he was very overmatched last year.
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

5. Likes:

Sparky (11-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Lindor.

Lindor solves three issues:

1. Added offensive punch/ proficiency
    2. Leadoff hitter with high OBP
    3. Defense adequacy to excellence at a demanding position

The rotation still has Gray and Castillo, two of the 25 or so best pitchers in baseball over the past two seasons. Last season, Mahle developed into a solid MOR guy (assuming the small sample proves real). Miley is a capable BOR guy. Antone looked good in even more limited innings. I'm guessing Johnson can find a stopgap and shine him up to adequate SP too.

In short, the offensive black hole at SS is bigger than the ace hole. ;)
    My wife keeps telling me I am an offensive ace hole.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

7. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (11-16-2020),Revering4Blue (11-16-2020),Roy Tucker (11-16-2020),Sparky (11-16-2020),WrongVerb (11-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by scotly50 View Post
    Elsewhere. On both. Especially Lindor. He is going to be a free agent next year. Stupid for the Reds to trade value for him unless he is signed in the deal.

Bauer is going to be far too expensive for the Reds to sign. He would end up another Votto type contract where the Reds are handcuffed. They should spend their money over several players rather than one.
    I don't want another Bailey or Votto contract that is for sure. We can learn from Tampa Bay and try and stay away from the bad contracts. To do that you better have great scouts because your drafts have to be solid and your player development has to be really good. I am not sure our player development is where it needs to be but I believe in the direction Boddy is taking us.

Lindor/Bauer are good but it is a commitment that can backfire. The longest I would want to offer either is 4 years.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (11-17-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Totally agree on this. I admit I was mostly wrong about Mahle, but he’s a BOR starter not MOR. I’m fine with him as 4th or 5th guy. In fact I think Gray, Castillo, ::insert solid and proven starter::, Mahle, Antone is quite formidable. I don’t like idea of Miley being that other pitcher, though.
    My litmus test for a third starter is “would you be comfortable with this guy pitching against a playoff worthy team in a postseason series” and the answer for Mahle is resoundingly no. The Braves, for example, would’ve lit him up.

11. Likes:

Sparky (11-16-2020)

The thing is, there is really no reason to expect that the offense will be as bad as it was this year. On paper, no one expected this season to turn out this way, and if we had a full 162 game schedule, most of the numbers would probably have corrected themselves.

Bauer needs to be the target. And Any of the top three SS free agents would be a significant upgrade over Galvis, given that a stopgap is needed for a couple years before Garcia is ready.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

13. Likes:

savafan (11-16-2020),Sparky (11-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    My litmus test for a third starter is “would you be comfortable with this guy pitching against a playoff worthy team in a postseason series” and the answer for Mahle is resoundingly no. The Braves, for example, would’ve lit him up.
    I agree with the Litmus test. It is too hard to win Championships without pitching. I wish I knew how close they think Greene and Lodolo are. If they are not close than Bauer may need to be signed over Lindor.

If you’re serious about winning a championship, sign Bauer. You need that ace to anchor your staff. Lindnor would be extremely nice to have. But he won’t win you a championship. But Bauer will. We saw that last season and the one playoff game he pitched. Like Rijo in ‘90.

But you have to be serious about winning. Really serious.
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 11-16-2020 at 06:42 PM.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

16. Likes:

Sparky (11-16-2020)

Bauer. He makes the Reds a smarter, more competitive team. Lindor is terrific, but Bauer is a culture-changer.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

18. Likes:

jup (11-17-2020),jwdoc77 (11-18-2020),Sparky (11-16-2020)

I can't be the only one who saw the absurd trade scenario by Matt Kelly at MLB.com.

To get Lindor he has the Reds offering Senzel, Hendrick, Stephenson, India, and Garcia.

Why does it feel like anytime the Reds are in trade discussions it's like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    I can't be the only one who saw the absurd trade scenario by Matt Kelly at MLB.com.

To get Lindor he has the Reds offering Senzel, Hendrick, Stephenson, India, and Garcia.

Why does it feel like anytime the Reds are in trade discussions it's like this?
    There isn't really a high end prospect in that group. No Greene or Lodolo. No solid big leaguers like Castillo or Gray. An injury prone young big leaguer who hasn't hit and a bunch of second and third tier guys. I don't know why Cleveland would do that deal.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    There isn't really a high end prospect in that group. No Greene or Lodolo. No solid big leaguers like Castillo or Gray. An injury prone young big leaguer who hasn't hit and a bunch of second and third tier guys. I don't know why Cleveland would do that deal.
    Cleveland would jump on that deal in a second and Krall should be fired if he’s even considering it.

Stephenson, Senzel, Hendrick are all high end prospects and honestly so is Garcia, but I don’t feel like opening up that can of worms.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

22. Likes:

757690 (11-18-2020),Rojo Rijo (11-18-2020),Ron Madden (11-18-2020),Wonderful Monds (11-18-2020)

That deal is twice what the Reds or any team should reasonably pay for a rental in Lindor.

24. Likes:

Ron Madden (11-18-2020),Wonderful Monds (11-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    That deal is twice what the Reds or any team should reasonably pay for a rental in Lindor.
    I'm not saying I'd pay it if I was the Reds. I don't think the Reds should be in the habit of dealing for Rentals. I don't think Lindor alone fixes all of this teams woes, but the Reds prospects haven't really turned into stars. I remember saying the same about offers asking for Robert Stephenson, Cody Reed and Amir Garret. All of those guys turned out to be a bust. Devin Mesoraco? Billy Hamilton? Yonder Alonso?

I have hope for Senzel, but at this point he's a guy going into his third year with Injury issues in his past and a career OPS+ of 83. Stephenson isn't one of the top 10 catching prospects in the game. He looks good to us, but he isn't a must have for anyone. Garcia looked decent at SS but he didn't hit and seems fairly far away. India is a bigger question than either Stephenson or Garcia and doesn't play a premium position like those two do. Hendrick is the one guy with the most promise, but that's because he's so young we haven't had a chance to see his warts yet.

Cleveland has a chance to win and it should take a package with at least one probable star caliber player to get him IMO or I'd hold him and see how the season goes. A contender at the deadline will pay just as much. A quantity package isn't what they should be after.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-18-2020 at 12:55 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I'm not saying I'd pay it if I was the Reds. I don't think the Reds should be in the habit of dealing for Rentals. I don't think Lindor alone fixes all of this teams woes, but the Reds prospects haven't really turned into stars. I remember saying the same about offers asking for Robert Stephenson, Cody Reed and Amir Garret. All of those guys turned out to be a bust. Devin Mesoraco? Billy Hamilton? Yonder Alonso?

I have hope for Senzel, but at this point he's a guy going into his third year with Injury issues in his past and a career OPS+ of 83. Stephenson isn't one of the top 10 catching prospects in the game. He looks good to us, but he isn't a must have for anyone. Garcia looked decent at SS but he didn't hit and seems fairly far away. India is a bigger question than either Stephenson or Garcia and doesn't play a premium position like those two do. Hendrick is the one guy with the most promise, but that's because he's so young we haven't had a chance to see his warts yet.

Cleveland has a chance to win and it should take a package with at least one probable star caliber player to get him IMO or I'd hold him and see how the season goes. A contender at the deadline will pay just as much. A quantity package isn't what they should be after.
    It’s for a one year rental of a guy getting paid around $20M for next season. For $20M, the Reds can get a high impact player without giving up any prospects. So the value of the prospects should be around the difference between Lindor and a normal $20M player.

You seem to be calculating what it would take to get Lindor if he were making MLB minimum and was under control for more than one year.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Turn Off Ads?