Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you take Bauer, Lindor or spend money elsewhere.

Would you take Bauer, Lindor or spend money elsewhere.

This is hard for me to pick because I love Bauer's competitiveness. I usually would take a Cy Young pitcher over an everyday player but when that everyday player could be and MVP type player it is a hard pick. If I had to choose between a long term contract for Bauer or Lindor I think I would take Lindor.

He would be the face of this franchise and a solid switch hitting leadoff hitter.

I could be persuaded though to take Bauer.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (11-15-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you take Bauer, Lindor or spend money elsewhere.

Good idea for a thread. I would take Lindor. I think his game will age gracefully and this team needs an everyday, up the middle superstar like Lindor more than a CY competitor. Lindor has a longer, more-consistent track record too.

It’s fair to say the Reds haven’t done a great job developing hitters as of late. They seem fairly well set-up to identify and develop on the pitching side.

5. Likes:

Sparky (11-16-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

That’s tough. I think Bauer would insist on pitching every 4 days for a LTC, and I wouldn’t want to roll the dice on an injury that might result because of that.

7. Likes:

Sparky (11-16-2020)

There are position players I might pick over Bauer, but Lindor sure isn't one of them.

He sucks in the post season and I don't see that changing. And he will want a big fat long term contract that the Reds will be stuck with, ala Joey Votto.

9. Likes:

Sparky (11-16-2020)

Bauer was amazing last year.
    But pitchers are a bigger risk for injury, and consistency over the long term.
    Bauer might have another Cy Young season next year, or he might fall back to earth (but still be very good).
    I chose Lindor.

I know this wasn't asked, but what if we only got the player for one year? Normally, I would take Bauer, but the team's offense is so bad, I would also take Lindor if it was just for one year.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

11. Likes:

Sparky (11-16-2020)

Lindor for long term, if it was just for 2021 I would take Bauer. If he repeats what he did in 2020 the reds would contenders IMHO.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

13. Likes:

Sparky (11-16-2020)

Lindor.

Lindor solves three issues:

1. Added offensive punch/ proficiency
    2. Leadoff hitter with high OBP
    3. Defense adequacy to excellence at a demanding position

The rotation still has Gray and Castillo, two of the 25 or so best pitchers in baseball over the past two seasons. Last season, Mahle developed into a solid MOR guy (assuming the small sample proves real). Miley is a capable BOR guy. Antone looked good in even more limited innings. I'm guessing Johnson can find a stopgap and shine him up to adequate SP too.

In short, the offensive black hole at SS is bigger than the ace hole.

15. Likes:

REDREAD (11-16-2020),Sparky (11-16-2020)

Bauer.

I guess we'll find out what Suarez is at the plate, but I feel like last season was an anomaly...in a bad way. Same for Moose. I think Winker is Winker (streaky), and I suspect Cast will bounce back from his late season woes.

Suarez, Moose, Wink and Cast...not a bad four to build around.

Bauer brings things this team needs, even outside his pitching. Leadership. And his pitching ain't bad.

17. Likes:

Sparky (11-16-2020)

I think the history of the franchise during the free agency period suggests that rewarding a player for high performance with a long term contract is overall a losing strategy for the franchise. The team withered when Junior arrived. Look at discussions about Votto on this board over the last few years. Homer Baily anyone? Even when Larkin got paid folks started talking about what a waste it was.

As much as I would like to live in a world where resigning Bauer makes sense, I think spending the money elsewhere is what the reds should do. Invest in a couple more Sonny Gray's.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

19. Likes:

Sparky (11-16-2020)

I would sign Bauer. There is no way that I would give up the talent we have drafted for a one-year rental of Lindor. Reds fans suffered through too many losing seasons and the only positive result has be high draft picks. Don’t want to trade them unless we get 3-4 years control of a young stud.

Now, if you can extend Lindor for 4-5 years, I will help those high draft picks pack and take them to the airport.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

21. Likes:

Sparky (11-16-2020)

Bauer.

23. Likes:

Sparky (11-16-2020)

Bauer.

25. Likes:

Sparky (11-16-2020)

Lindor, but I don't see a rotation of Castillo, Gray, Mahle, Miley, and Antone as being competitive for the division win.

27. Likes:

Sparky (11-16-2020),Wonderful Monds (11-16-2020)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Lindor, but I don't see a rotation of Castillo, Gray, Mahle, Miley, and Antone as being competitive for the division win.
    Yeah Mahle as a third starter doesn’t cut it

29. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (11-16-2020),Sparky (11-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Yeah Mahle as a third starter doesn’t cut it
    Totally agree on this. I admit I was mostly wrong about Mahle, but he’s a BOR starter not MOR. I’m fine with him as 4th or 5th guy. In fact I think Gray, Castillo, ::insert solid and proven starter::, Mahle, Antone is quite formidable. I don’t like idea of Miley being that other pitcher, though.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

31. Likes:

Sparky (11-16-2020),Wonderful Monds (11-16-2020)

Turn Off Ads?