Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2021 HOF Ballot

Re: 2021 HOF Ballot

I think there should be a fixed number of seats in the Hall of Fame. Every time someone is voted in, someone needs to be voted out to make room for him.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Likes:

Phoenix2 (11-29-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

At no level are we talking about a big Hall. The good Mr. Madden linked an article which lays it out pretty well that we're arguing the line between very exclusive and super exclusive. Andy Pettitte gets only passing mention. Jason Giambi, Lance Berkman, Miguel Tejada, Johnny Damon, Jorge Posada and Jim Edmonds were one-and-done. Carlos Delgado hit 473 HR with 1,512 RBI and a career 138 OPS+. Offensively speaking, he's in the Willie Stargell neighborhood and voters barely blinked at him. And winning a Cy Young apparently gets you no consideration. Conjure the spirit of some deceased HOF voters and they'd tell us we're nearly impossible to please.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

cincinnati chili (11-29-2020),Edd Roush (11-28-2020),marcshoe (11-28-2020),podgejeff_ (11-29-2020),RedsBaron (11-28-2020),redsmetz (03-02-2021),Ron Madden (02-28-2021)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    At no level are we talking about a big Hall. The good Mr. Madden linked an article which lays it out pretty well that we're arguing the line between very exclusive and super exclusive. Andy Pettitte gets only passing mention. Jason Giambi, Lance Berkman, Miguel Tejada, Johnny Damon, Jorge Posada and Jim Edmonds were one-and-done. Carlos Delgado hit 473 HR with 1,512 RBI and a career 138 OPS+. Offensively speaking, he's in the Willie Stargell neighborhood and voters barely blinked at him. And winning a Cy Young apparently gets you no consideration. Conjure the spirit of some deceased HOF voters and they'd tell us we're nearly impossible to please.
    Kenny. Lofton. Still. Angers. Me.

7. Likes:

CySeymour (11-28-2020),M2 (11-28-2020),podgejeff_ (11-30-2020),RedsBaron (11-28-2020),Ron Madden (02-28-2021)

There's 235 MLB players in the Hall of Fame. Another hundred who are in there for non-playing reasons (or played in the Negro Leagues).

There are apparently over 15,000 MLB players all time.

That equates out to about 1.5% of all players.

I don't think the Hall can argue it's not exclusive enough.

9. Likes:

redsfandan (11-30-2020),Ron Madden (02-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I think there should be a fixed number of seats in the Hall of Fame. Every time someone is voted in, someone needs to be voted out to make room for him.
    Why, if the HOF building isn't big enough to keep adding more players to it they should make the building bigger
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

11. Likes:

AFSTALLION13 (03-06-2021),Ron Madden (02-28-2021)

Curt Schilling is no doubt a HOFer. Just check out his stats.

13. Likes:

AFSTALLION13 (03-06-2021),Phoenix2 (03-01-2021),RedsBaron (02-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    There's 235 MLB players in the Hall of Fame. Another hundred who are in there for non-playing reasons (or played in the Negro Leagues).

I think you have to cut that all time denominator down because there are much too many Pete Rose Juniors in that number. I think you have to cut it down by an average number of years career and then add a few. So say the average MLB career all time is something like 5 years. Because there are many more Pete Rose Jrs who play 2 games, or one year, or 3 years being called up from the minors for emergency purposes and such than there are Pete Rose Seniors who play 20+ years, you would include only those who played say a 7 or 8 years or more. Reason I say this is because saying it's exclusive because the Pete Rose Juniors don't get in just doesn't make sense. It still might be exclusive, but not as exclusive when you include so many careers that never really got off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post

19,092 players

1.23%

16. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-28-2021)

Turn Off Ads?