Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2020 Part Two: Will They Finish the Season?

Re: College Football 2020 Part Two: Will They Finish the Season?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I am an OSU fan, but if this were to happen and UC is undefeated with like 10 games played and OSU gets in over them what is the point for non P5 teams? Honestly, I get it, it’s about money. However, that would prove they have no shot whatsoever at making the CFP.
    the path is simple....schedule a legit Top 10 P5 team in the non conference, beat them as well as go undefeated in your G6 conference. Easy. The issue is games are scheduled 5+ years in advance, so you never are sure who will be ranked what then...and also, there a high probability that UC will have a hard time getting a blue blood to add them to their schedule after a season like this year. UCF use to get big names on their schedule every year....Clemson, Va. Tech, Penn State, Alabama, Miami, Florida, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Arizona State, Ohio State, Texas and many others...but once they began to get ranked, most of those schools had no interest in playing them because there is nothing to gain for them, and everything to lose.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    the path is simple....schedule a legit Top 10 P5 team in the non conference, beat them as well as go undefeated in your G6 conference.
    UC's chance on that path was last year, and OSU beat them by 40. I don't think the difference between the two is/was quite that pronounced, but a terrible time for UC to throw in a clunker.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I am an OSU fan, but if this were to happen and UC is undefeated with like 10 games played and OSU gets in over them what is the point for non P5 teams? Honestly, I get it, it’s about money. However, that would prove they have no shot whatsoever at making the CFP.
    I hate to say it but there is no point to them. The playoff is set up for 4 P5 teams or Notre Dame. The powers that be believe that those schools get the best ratings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    UC's chance on that path was last year, and OSU beat them by 40. I don't think the difference between the two is/was quite that pronounced, but a terrible time for UC to throw in a clunker.
    I think the difference is massive. But I also think the difference between the top 3 programs in the country to everyone else is pretty big as well.

UC gets a shot at OSU every once in a while and they need to take full advantage of it.

I think what UC needs to do is get lucky more than anything else. They need a good schedule but also need to take advantage of a P5 program in the midst of a transition year.

If you look at the 247 talent composite, they are in the same ballpark as ISU. I think its a good comparison, they can build a solid program, play with the big boys on occasion, but just don't have the depth to do it over a normal 12 game schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think the difference is massive.
    It's big, but Cincinnati was capable of putting up a competitive showing if they played their best and got some breaks. Not too different from Indiana couple of weeks ago. But they clearly did not take advantage of the chance.

Granted, I think UC is better this year than they were last year. It's a shame they don't get any sort of out of conference test this year to prove their worth prior to bowl season (not that their scheduled matchup in Lincoln against the Huskers would have meant anything as it turns out).

It's big, but Cincinnati was capable of putting up a competitive showing if they played their best and got some breaks. Not too different from Indiana couple of weeks ago. But they clearly did not take advantage of the chance.

Granted, I think UC is better this year than they were last year. It's a shame they don't get any sort of out of conference test this year to prove their worth prior to bowl season (not that their scheduled matchup in Lincoln against the Huskers would have meant anything as it turns out).
    Indiana is an interesting comparison. I will admit, I didn't realize IU talent wise was the same as UC. And I haven't followed UC all that closely this season. The biggest key for a team like IU is to find some overlooked recruits and develop them into NFL talent. I doubt Penix will be a NFL QB, but he has the talent to be a good college QB. Their WR's and TE are NFL caliber players, does UC have that?

I think for a team like UC to have a punchers chance against a top tier program is for them to get a bunch of young guys in, develop them, have everything come together, and then get your chance at a team like OSU. NW and IU (lately) have been doing that pretty successfully. But they get that opportunity year in year out, not so much with UC.

I think 2020 is the ideal season for UC to play with OSU. Especially this season where they are in midseason form while OSU has fewer games under their belt. Just for fun, OSU has 66 4 and 5 stars on their roster, UC has 7, that talent is tough to make up.

Probably an unpopular position, but I think the sports media are being a little ridiculous with the hype around the young lady kicker (Sarah Fuller) playing today for Vanderbilt. It feels patronizing.

The SEC took patronizing to a new level and named her SEC Special Teams player of the week.

The SEC took patronizing to a new level and named her SEC Special Teams player of the week.
    I saw that, but thought if I mentioned again, some would begin to assume I was misogynistic. The truth is I would be as excited to see her nail a FG or something as anyone, but this is just peeing on my leg, and trying to convince me it is raining.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Was there an SEC kicker, punter, snapper, or holder who had a more impactful weekend?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Was there an SEC kicker, punter, snapper, or holder who had a more impactful weekend?
    Pretty much all of them.

12. Likes:

JaxRed (12-01-2020)

can't tell if you are serious....any kicker who kicked an extra point or FG would have had more impact. Kadarius Toney returned a punt for a TD for Florida....I am sure there are other big plays, but that is the only one I clearly recall.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Pretty much all of them.
    By making a few extra points? Every SEC game was a blow out last weekend and would have had the same results if every kicker made the same number of kicks as Sarah Fuller did.

I think it's all worth it to see the Twitter goons get bent out of shape about a conference specialty weekly award that no one knew existed before this week.

- - - Updated - - -

can't tell if you are serious....any kicker who kicked an extra point or FG would have had more impact. Kadarius Toney returned a punt for a TD for Florida....I am sure there are other big plays, but that is the only one I clearly recall.
    When I said impact, I was referring to something bigger than on-field performances in blow out games.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

By making a few extra points? Every SEC game was a blow out last weekend and would have had the same results if every kicker made the same number of kicks as Sarah Fuller did.

I think it's all worth it to see the Twitter goons get bent out of shape about a conference specialty weekly award that no one knew existed before this week.

- - - Updated - - -

When I said impact, I was referring to something bigger than on-field performances in blow out games.
    I have not read anything about the SEC weekly acknowledgements, but I assume they are like the Big12's which are merit awards. I would be interested to see if the weekly awards had ever been given to someone in the past based on some form of social impact. I think we should keep the merit based recognition as objective as possible.

It is not a big deal, and my original issue was based on it felt like the media was jumping over each other to make sure they did not get in hot water with a certain crowd by not praising her enough. It felt fake, and I was honestly a little surprised to see her embrace the praise so much given that she is a very accomplished athlete in Soccer. If everything is a big deal and a great accomplishment, then nothing is a big deal and a great accomplishment which is the slippery slope we take when we pretend what she did advanced females in athletics.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I have not read anything about the SEC weekly acknowledgements, but I assume they are like the Big12's which are merit awards. I would be interested to see if the weekly awards had ever been given to someone in the past based on some form of social impact. I think we should keep the merit based recognition as objective as possible.

It is not a big deal, and my original issue was based on it felt like the media was jumping over each other to make sure they did not get in hot water with a certain crowd by not praising her enough. It felt fake, and I was honestly a little surprised to see her embrace the praise so much given that she is a very accomplished athlete in Soccer. If everything is a big deal and a great accomplishment, then nothing is a big deal and a great accomplishment which is the slippery slope we take when we pretend what she did advanced females in athletics.
    Last year, my Division III college football team went 2-8 but the head coach won the conference's Coach of the Year award because the team dealt with the death of a player mid-season. I think there are occasions where these awards are given for off-field considerations.

I agree with you. I don't think this is a big deal. The SEC probably prints certificates they found off a Powerpoint template and mails them to their weekly specialty award winners. The media coverage may be over the top, but I'm not sure why so many people have a hard time applauding Fuller and recognizing a cool story.

(Not saying this is you and BR, just lamenting the general vitriol about a woman being involved in the sport.)
    -Walt Whitman

I thought it was potentially a cool story that the rest of the Vandy team turned into a dud, and certain members of the media (and the SEC apparently) had already decided this was going to be a big story even though it really didn't materialize.

Turn Off Ads?