Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
Probably an unpopular position, but I think the sports media are being a little ridiculous with the hype around the young lady kicker (Sarah Fuller) playing today for Vanderbilt. It feels patronizing. I was actually interested in seeing if the young lady would get a chance to play, but I assumed she might be put in to kick an extra point or even a 25-35 yard Field Goal. We have seen female soccer players in the past be very good at kicking intermediate and short field goals, but to do it in an SEC game would have been a real accomplishment for a female. Instead, they have her kick off, and it was a squib kick that anyone of us on this board could have did, and most of our mothers could have pulled off when they were younger. Still, the clip I watched, the guys in the booth were acting as if they should stop the game and allow her to address the females around the globe because of the magnitude of the "accomplishment".

In regards to the reaction, or overreaction in my opinion, none of that diminishes the athletic ability of the female as she is very accomplished in Soccer....but on this day, I do not consider what she did to be a step in any direction for females in sports. To be clear, my opinion has nothing to do with the young lady, her coach or Vanderbilt....it is the media trying to create a historic moment. One article stated "Still, this is a huge moment for women in sports."! I have seen females dunk a basketball, shatter records on the track and in the pool that was beyond what males could do in past decades. It really just feels a little gross to me....a bunch of men in sports media patting her on the head.
I understand why but I agree, the media coverage was a bit much with it.

Kinda feel bad for Missouri. They won 41-0 yet this story has dominated the headlines. Hopefully she gets to attempt a FG next week.