Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2020 Part Two: Will They Finish the Season?

Re: College Football 2020 Part Two: Will They Finish the Season?

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Probably an unpopular position, but I think the sports media are being a little ridiculous with the hype around the young lady kicker (Sarah Fuller) playing today for Vanderbilt. It feels patronizing. I was actually interested in seeing if the young lady would get a chance to play, but I assumed she might be put in to kick an extra point or even a 25-35 yard Field Goal. We have seen female soccer players in the past be very good at kicking intermediate and short field goals, but to do it in an SEC game would have been a real accomplishment for a female. Instead, they have her kick off, and it was a squib kick that anyone of us on this board could have did, and most of our mothers could have pulled off when they were younger. Still, the clip I watched, the guys in the booth were acting as if they should stop the game and allow her to address the females around the globe because of the magnitude of the "accomplishment".

In regards to the reaction, or overreaction in my opinion, none of that diminishes the athletic ability of the female as she is very accomplished in Soccer....but on this day, I do not consider what she did to be a step in any direction for females in sports. To be clear, my opinion has nothing to do with the young lady, her coach or Vanderbilt....it is the media trying to create a historic moment. One article stated "Still, this is a huge moment for women in sports."! I have seen females dunk a basketball, shatter records on the track and in the pool that was beyond what males could do in past decades. It really just feels a little gross to me....a bunch of men in sports media patting her on the head.
    I understand why but I agree, the media coverage was a bit much with it.

Kinda feel bad for Missouri. They won 41-0 yet this story has dominated the headlines. Hopefully she gets to attempt a FG next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Also, Derrick Mason has been terrible at Vandy and should be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Also, Derrick Mason has been terrible at Vandy and should be fired.
    Sounds good, looks like Florida will need a good DC
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I understand why but I agree, the media coverage was a bit much with it.

Kinda feel bad for Missouri. They won 41-0 yet this story has dominated the headlines. Hopefully she gets to attempt a FG next week.
    Stealing this alternative headline from the Vandy game from someone on Twitter: Competent Female Denied Opportunity to Show Talents Today Due to Inept Male Colleagues.

"In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

6. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-28-2020),dabvu2498 (11-29-2020),Revering4Blue (11-28-2020)

At full strength Alabama and Clemson just look like they're on a whole 'nother level. Never know what'll happen going forward, but that's my eyeball analysis.

8. Likes:

adkindo (11-29-2020),GAC (11-29-2020),Revering4Blue (11-29-2020)

A&M is at Auburn next week. Coming off an Iron Bowl beatdown, I'm hoping Auburn are fired up and give the Aggies another loss.

Probably an unpopular position, but I think the sports media are being a little ridiculous with the hype around the young lady kicker (Sarah Fuller) playing today for Vanderbilt. It feels patronizing. I was actually interested in seeing if the young lady would get a chance to play, but I assumed she might be put in to kick an extra point or even a 25-35 yard Field Goal. We have seen female soccer players in the past be very good at kicking intermediate and short field goals, but to do it in an SEC game would have been a real accomplishment for a female. Instead, they have her kick off, and it was a squib kick that anyone of us on this board could have did, and most of our mothers could have pulled off when they were younger. Still, the clip I watched, the guys in the booth were acting as if they should stop the game and allow her to address the females around the globe because of the magnitude of the "accomplishment".

In regards to the reaction, or overreaction in my opinion, none of that diminishes the athletic ability of the female as she is very accomplished in Soccer....but on this day, I do not consider what she did to be a step in any direction for females in sports. To be clear, my opinion has nothing to do with the young lady, her coach or Vanderbilt....it is the media trying to create a historic moment. One article stated "Still, this is a huge moment for women in sports."! I have seen females dunk a basketball, shatter records on the track and in the pool that was beyond what males could do in past decades. It really just feels a little gross to me....a bunch of men in sports media patting her on the head.
    She probably would have gotten a chance to kick a field goal if Vandy wasn’t completely awful.

Side point: now that Rutgers seems to be able to compete with other teams the battle of the worst team in college football seems to be down to Vanderbilt and Kansas.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    A&M is at Auburn next week. Coming off an Iron Bowl beatdown, I'm hoping Auburn are fired up and give the Aggies another loss.
    Does anyone know why Auburn was ranked going into the game against Bama?

Oh yeah, they were playing Bama. I feel like Auburn could be 2-5 going into the iron bowl and they would somehow be ranked 24.

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    She probably would have gotten a chance to kick a field goal if Vandy wasn’t completely awful.

Side point: now that Rutgers seems to be able to compete with other teams the battle of the worst team in college football seems to be down to Vanderbilt and Kansas.
    I vote for Kansas...and like I said, my response is not related to her or anyone on the field. The responses in the media just felt over the top and fake. Calling it a huge moment for women in sports is silly. We have all seen Jackie Joyner Kersee, Serena Williams, Mia Hamm, Lisa Leslie and Simone Biles among many others amaze us in sports and raise the bar for all that came after. I have even seen Danika Patrick strap herself into a 750 HP machine and win the pole in an otherwise all male field....and go hundreds of laps against those men and finish in the Top 10. American women have had great moments in sports that have clearly moved the needle....yesterday, not so much.

I hope the young lady gets a chance to kick a FG...I have little doubt that she has a good chance at hitting one with her leg strength. I also know as someone that has helped a kicker train for a period, and who would take a few wacks in downtime myself.....very few guys on a P5 roster can nail a 25 yard FG on a consistent basis. It looks so much longer in real life compared to on tv.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

I vote for Kansas...and like I said, my response is not related to her or anyone on the field. The responses in the media just felt over the top and fake. Calling it a huge moment for women in sports is silly. We have all seen Jackie Joyner Kersee, Serena Williams, Mia Hamm, Lisa Leslie and Simone Biles among many others amaze us in sports and raise the bar for all that came after. I have even seen Danika Patrick strap herself into a 750 HP machine and win the pole in an otherwise all male field....and go hundreds of laps against those men and finish in the Top 10. American women have had great moments in sports that have clearly moved the needle....yesterday, not so much.

I hope the young lady gets a chance to kick a FG...I have little doubt that she has a good chance at hitting one with her leg strength. I also know as someone that has helped a kicker train for a period, and who would take a few wacks in downtime myself.....very few guys on a P5 roster can nail a 25 yard FG on a consistent basis. It looks so much longer in real life compared to on tv.
    Totally agree about the difficulties of field goals. I have always felt they should show a side angle to show how far it is. They show that angle from either behind the kicker or behind the FG and it makes everything look like a chip shot. They actually showed a side angle during one of the games yesterday and it’s pretty crazy it’s even possible to hit a 50 yard field goal somewhat consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    At full strength Alabama and Clemson just look like they're on a whole 'nother level. Never know what'll happen going forward, but that's my eyeball analysis.
    I think Ohio State has the talent to get there, but I think they may need to scheme a little different on defense. It seems like they are still playing as if they have Chase Young rushing the passer and a veteran secondary. In the past that has allowed them to be very aggressive in man coverage underneath with 3 DB's and 1 Safety over the top. This season, the pass rush is not as dominant and the DB's are having to cover for longer periods....on top of that I think Wade is the only full time returning starter? All of this has led to their coverage breaking down often. It would seem without some changes, guys like Trevor Lawrence and Mac Jones would have a field day. I am not sure of the answer, but I would think it would either bring more pressure from the second level to improve the pass rush, or have the DB's play less aggressive in a bend but don't break style.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Doesn’t look like it did anything to save Masons job.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...h-0-8-campaign
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Doesn’t look like it did anything to save Masons job.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...h-0-8-campaign
    He's the sixth winningest coach in program history at 27-55. Lol

18. Likes:

GAC (11-30-2020),RedTeamGo! (11-29-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    He's the sixth winningest coach in program history at 27-55. Lol
    And he only needed 2 more wins to move into a tie for 4th.

I can remember my freshman year at VU, walking through Vanderbilt Stadium on my way to class as Gerry DiNardo was giving some recruits a tour. He was telling them about this upgrade and that upgrade and the stadium would look totally different by their senior year and 26 years later, there’s a new scoreboard and the seating capacity is actually smaller. Some of the indoor and supplemental facilities have improved, but they’re still third rate by D1 standards and third world compared to the rest of the SEC.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    And he only needed 2 more wins to move into a tie for 4th.

I can remember my freshman year at VU, walking through Vanderbilt Stadium on my way to class as Gerry DiNardo was giving some recruits a tour. He was telling them about this upgrade and that upgrade and the stadium would look totally different by their senior year and 26 years later, there’s a new scoreboard and the seating capacity is actually smaller. Some of the indoor and supplemental facilities have improved, but they’re still third rate by D1 standards and third world compared to the rest of the SEC.
    Any coach that has any success will bolt for the next best job. Best thing to hope for is that they can get another James Franklin and then once the coach leaves promote a coordinator or keep hiring someone outside and hope you bat a thousand.

That said I expect Vanderbilt to go outside the box. Trent Dilfer wouldn’t be a reach IMO.

Turn Off Ads?