Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2020 Part Two: Will They Finish the Season?

College Football 2020 Part Two: Will They Finish the Season?

Old one is at 1000+
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: College Football 2020 Part Two: Will They Finish the Season?

Go Hoosiers!!!!!

This Rich Rod got undercut by the establishment narrative has always been a bunch of baloney. As a Michigan alumn, I said as soon as he was hired that it was going to be disastrous. He was a bad cultural fit in Ann Arbor, but more importantly, he's a system guy that requires his type of athletes to make work. It was going to require a complete overhaul of the roster, which is darn near impossible at the college level without dropping dramatically in the short term. And getting those kinds of athletes to want to go to Michigan was also going to be a challenge, and I don't the RR was so appealing to recruits that they'd take much of a risk.

Plus, RR didn't have the record of a homerun like some thought he did. He had one group of players that made a good team over a few years. And beyond that, he hadn't done anything special, and had a knack for losing big games they should win. And it's not like he's proven to be a great coach since either. He's just not a great coach. He was a disastrous hire, who wasn't likely to succeed at Michigan regardless of this supposed "support" that he never had.

It was clear last year that Michigan was a poorly coached team. My Michigan friends got tired of me saying they need to get rid of Harbaugh and hire Joe Brady. Been saying it for a year now, and I still think that would be best case scenario. Brady's now an OC in the NFL, so I'm not sure he'd be interested, but I could see taking over a program like Michigan after what he did at LSU being incredibly tempting.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    This Rich Rod got undercut by the establishment narrative has always been a bunch of baloney. As a Michigan alumn, I said as soon as he was hired that it was going to be disastrous. He was a bad cultural fit in Ann Arbor, but more importantly, he's a system guy that requires his type of athletes to make work. It was going to require a complete overhaul of the roster, which is darn near impossible at the college level without dropping dramatically in the short term. And getting those kinds of athletes to want to go to Michigan was also going to be a challenge, and I don't the RR was so appealing to recruits that they'd take much of a risk.

Plus, RR didn't have the record of a homerun like some thought he did. He had one group of players that made a good team over a few years. And beyond that, he hadn't done anything special, and had a knack for losing big games they should win. And it's not like he's proven to be a great coach since either. He's just not a great coach. He was a disastrous hire, who wasn't likely to succeed at Michigan regardless of this supposed "support" that he never had.

It was clear last year that Michigan was a poorly coached team. My Michigan friends got tired of me saying they need to get rid of Harbaugh and hire Joe Brady. Been saying it for a year now, and I still think that would be best case scenario. Brady's now an OC in the NFL, so I'm not sure he'd be interested, but I could see taking over a program like Michigan after what he did at LSU being incredibly tempting.
    Looking forward to seeing you guys next year. Don't give a damn about your school's coaching issues.

Typical Michigan fan altered reality. If you are still claiming that RichRod was not undercut by many within the Michigan program and boosters, then you are claiming that the many long form articles and book excerpts from people that cover Michigan Football and give detailed accounts of actions taken is all imaginary. Also, the roster that Carr left behind was garbage for any system...it had very little talent as Henne, Hart and most of the other solid players left after the previous season. RichRod was rebuilding that thing from the ground up...just like he did @ WVU. He was 3-9, 5-7, and 7-6 when he was terminated. He was on the doorstep to having the thing rolling, and they fired him.....then Hoke came in with RichRod's guys and goes 11-2, 8-5, 7-6 and 5-7. A pretty strong case could be made that Hoke got all of the rewards of RichRod's work, and the less RichRod the program became, the worst their record got.

Plus, RR didn't have the record of a homerun like some thought he did. He had one group of players that made a good team over a few years.
    This line is silly. RichRod came to WVU with a bare cabinet...just like Michigan. He rebuilt the thing from the ground up going....3-8, 9-4, 8-5, 8-4, 11-1, 11-2, 11-2...those last three years resulting in Gator Bowl, Sugar Bowl and Fiesta Bowl wins. That is not a few good players.....that is rebuilding a program and having it rolling. RichRod was one of the best offensive minds in college football....given credit for introducing the spread option run to college football and helped create some pretty good college QB's in Shaun King, Woody Dantzler, Rasheed Marshall, and Pat White.

Suggesting RichRod was a bad football coach is all about your "feelings" and has nothing to do with what he has accomplished on the field.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

This Rich Rod got undercut by the establishment narrative has always been a bunch of baloney. As a Michigan alumn, I said as soon as he was hired that it was going to be disastrous.
    I think it’s kind of funny how you say Rich Rod was not undercut by Michigan Men or whatever and then with the very next sentence say you are a Michigan man and you literally never gave him a chance. Not even for a second.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

8. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Go Hoosiers!!!!!
    Looking forward to Saturday. Indiana has occasionally got frisky with OSU the past few years anyway. I'm not sure Indiana can slow down OSUs offense even a little bit, but they should be able to score some and if they can get a turnover or two it could end up being close.

10. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Looking forward to Saturday. Indiana has occasionally got frisky with OSU the past few years anyway. I'm not sure Indiana can slow down OSUs offense even a little bit, but they should be able to score some and if they can get a turnover or two it could end up being close.
    I don't think it's all that close. It's been fun seeing Indiana have some success but they've beaten teams that are a combined 3-13 (Penn State, Rutgers, Michigan, and Michigan State). But of course now that I look at it, Ohio State hasn't played anyone either. Their opponents are a combined 2-9. But I still think it's something like 42-24, OSU.
    Last edited by Reds Freak; 11-16-2020 at 02:35 PM.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I don't think it's all that close close. It's been fun seeing Indiana have some success but they've beaten teams that are a combined 3-13 (Penn State, Rutgers, Michigan, and Michigan State). But of course now that I look at it, Ohio State hasn't played anyone either. Their opponents are a combined 2-9. But I still think it's something like 42-24, OSU.
    Yeah I think it'll probably be more like 59-28 or something. Weather looks pretty nice so shouldn't be a factor. I like Penix though, he's pretty fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Yeah I think it'll probably be more like 59-28 or something. Weather looks pretty nice so shouldn't be a factor. I like Penix though, he's pretty fun to watch.
    I get some of these wrong, and I only watched a little bit of the IU MSU game, but I just don't think this will be close. I don't think IU can drive the ball against OSU, and think IU has done a good job of creating turnovers and turning them into points. Penix, in what I have seen, is rather inconsistent. I saw some very bad throws against MSU and think he will need his A+ game to keep it close.

I do find this interesting, had Penix been ruled down short against PSU, what does this season look like? I think PSU is 3-1 and is IU 3-1 or does their record look different now? IU broke PSU (followed by an OSU loss the next week) and IU used that to jumpstart their season. Inches matter!

14. Likes:

Assembly Hall (11-16-2020),Revering4Blue (11-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think it’s kind of funny how you say Rich Rod was not undercut by Michigan Men or whatever and then with the very next sentence say you are a Michigan man and you literally never gave him a chance. Not even for a second.
    That doesn't make any sense. I'm just some guy who went to school there 15 years ago. Surely I couldn't prevent him from being able to coach better than he did. Or could I? That seems to be the prevailing wisdom. All I did was predict it wouldn't end well. I'm not aware of any influence my prediction may have had on his lack of success. But who knows.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

That doesn't make any sense. I'm just some guy who went to school there 15 years ago. Surely I couldn't prevent him from being able to coach better than he did. Or could I? That seems to be the prevailing wisdom. All I did was predict it wouldn't end well. I'm not aware of any influence my prediction may have had on his lack of success. But who knows.
    I think it just kind of represents the UM boosters.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (11-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I don't think it's all that close. It's been fun seeing Indiana have some success but they've beaten teams that are a combined 3-13 (Penn State, Rutgers, Michigan, and Michigan State). But of course now that I look at it, Ohio State hasn't played anyone either. Their opponents are a combined 2-9. But I still think it's something like 42-24, OSU.
    Your killing me smalls.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    If you are still claiming that RichRod was not undercut by many within the Michigan program and boosters, then you are claiming that the many long form articles and book excerpts from people that cover Michigan Football and give detailed accounts of actions taken is all imaginary. Also, the roster that Carr left behind was garbage for any system...it had very little talent as Henne, Hart and most of the other solid players left after the previous season. RichRod was rebuilding that thing from the ground up...just like he did @ WVU. He was 3-9, 5-7, and 7-6 when he was terminated. He was on the doorstep to having the thing rolling, and they fired him.....then Hoke came in with RichRod's guys and goes 11-2, 8-5, 7-6 and 5-7. A pretty strong case could be made that Hoke got all of the rewards of RichRod's work, and the less RichRod the program became, the worst their record got.

RichRod came to WVU with a bare cabinet...just like Michigan. He rebuilt the thing from the ground up going....3-8, 9-4, 8-5, 8-4, 11-1, 11-2, 11-2...those last three years resulting in Gator Bowl, Sugar Bowl and Fiesta Bowl wins. That is not a few good players.....that is rebuilding a program and having it rolling. RichRod was one of the best offensive minds in college football....given credit for introducing the spread option run to college football and helped create some pretty good college QB's in Shaun King, Woody Dantzler, Rasheed Marshall, and Pat White.

Suggesting RichRod was a bad football coach is all about your "feelings" and has nothing to do with what he has accomplished on the field.
    Exactly!
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Michigan still remains one of the top football jobs - Pro or College. As such, they are currently in a position akin to Alabama circa '07 - They are simply lacking the right coach to return the program to elite status.

At this season's conclusion, were Harbaugh to decide to leave on his own accord and head back to the NFL before the what seems to be inevitable occurs, it goes without saying that there'd be no shortage of quality coaches (including Brady) who would likely walk over broken glass to reach Ann Arbor.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 11-16-2020 at 06:44 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

21. Likes:

adkindo (11-16-2020),Assembly Hall (11-17-2020)

Turn Off Ads?