Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 67 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2020 Part Two: Will They Finish the Season?

Re: College Football 2020 Part Two: Will They Finish the Season?

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ohio State will practice today. Good sign for playing Saturday.

Correction - The Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl.

5. Likes:

Chip R (12-02-2020)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Correction - The Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl.
    You're GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRReat, for pointing that out. LOL

7. Likes:

JaxRed (12-01-2020),kaldaniels (12-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    It's big, but Cincinnati was capable of putting up a competitive showing if they played their best and got some breaks. Not too different from Indiana couple of weeks ago. But they clearly did not take advantage of the chance.

Granted, I think UC is better this year than they were last year. It's a shame they don't get any sort of out of conference test this year to prove their worth prior to bowl season (not that their scheduled matchup in Lincoln against the Huskers would have meant anything as it turns out).
    Indiana put up a competitive showing, but I don't think that game would have been competitive if it was a B10 Championship Game or playoff game. OSU was up 35-7 and took their foot off the gas. IU deserves credit for playing hard the whole game, but if they played again I think OSU would win by 20+.

If you're a UC fan, do you want to be in the playoff and go against Alabama? I remember in 2018 when OSU was close to a playoff spot, and I was glad we didn't make it because I knew we would have gotten embarrassed by Clemson again. UC has been awesome, Fickell has done an amazing job, and this is a great year that they can hopefully continue to build on. But the overall talent isn't there yet. They would be 21+ point underdogs against Bama, and all the money would be on Bama. Would it be better to go to the playoff and get crushed or play in a great New Year's Day bowl with a good chance at the best win in program history?

Playoffs against Bama. Not even a question.

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Playoffs against Bama. Not even a question.
    No question. It'd be unbelievable exposure for the program in terms of potential recruits, as well as possible conference realignment down the line, and a huge payday even if they got blown out, as expected.

12. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-01-2020),Revering4Blue (12-01-2020)

Yeah this isn’t even a question. You want to be in the playoffs. The results don’t matter, just get in the game.

No one remembers the other bowl games for the most part anyway unless something crazy happens.

14. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-01-2020),Revering4Blue (12-01-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    No question. It'd be unbelievable exposure for the program in terms of potential recruits, as well as possible conference realignment down the line, and a huge payday even if they got blown out, as expected.
    Plus, UC would forever be known as the team that "broke through and made it". My Bearcats would lose, certainly. But, you can't say that the talent disparity is bigger between UC and Bama this year than the disparity that existed between UC and Florida in 2009. Florida was a top 2 team that year and there was a big drop-off to number three.

How is the Cincy media covering the Bearcats this year? When I lived in the area, it seemed like the local media generally ignored UC football except during the Brian Kelly era (and even then, only the second half of his time there). Is the team generating any buzz locally?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Plus, UC would forever be known as the team that "broke through and made it". My Bearcats would lose, certainly. But, you can't say that the talent disparity is bigger between UC and Bama this year than the disparity that existed between UC and Florida in 2009. Florida was a top 2 team that year and there was a big drop-off to number three.

How is the Cincy media covering the Bearcats this year? When I lived in the area, it seemed like the local media generally ignored UC football except during the Brian Kelly era (and even then, only the second half of his time there). Is the team generating any buzz locally?
    A little bit, but UC football is seemingly always going to lag behind the Reds, Bengals and high school football locally (in no particular order). You can add FCC to that mix, as well. I find the best coverage is from The Athletic (Justin Williams), but that's true for any sport. I'd say there's definitely some interest, but it's not night and day different than 2009.

A little bit, but UC football is seemingly always going to lag behind the Reds, Bengals and high school football locally (in no particular order). You can add FCC to that mix, as well. I find the best coverage is from The Athletic (Justin Williams), but that's true for any sport. I'd say there's definitely some interest, but it's not night and day different than 2009.
    I have heard Huggins speak about UC Basketball (which I assume is similar for UC Football) at it's peak (Kenyon Martin), it was always behind the Reds and Bengals in the city while having to compete with Xavier, UK, etc. I would assume Football is similar in that just exchange UK with Ohio State. He was comparing to WVU where even in a mediocre year, WVU is the biggest focus in the state....there is no real competition. The state, or most of it, lives and dies with each game.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I have heard Huggins speak about UC Basketball (which I assume is similar for UC Football) at it's peak (Kenyon Martin), it was always behind the Reds and Bengals in the city while having to compete with Xavier, UK, etc. I would assume Football is similar in that just exchange UK with Ohio State. He was comparing to WVU where even in a mediocre year, WVU is the biggest focus in the state....there is no real competition. The state, or most of it, lives and dies with each game.
    UC basketball is bigger than football locally largely because of their histories, I assume. You raise a far point, though, and it's nice for one of them not to be anywhere near as crummy as the other options (Reds, Bengals, FCC).

UC basketball is bigger than football locally largely because of their histories, I assume. You raise a far point, though, and it's nice for one of them not to be anywhere near as crummy as the other options (Reds, Bengals, FCC).
    I would guess UCF has some similar issues....any school that does not have a deep blue blood history in a metro area will have a hard time dominating the interest of the community....there are just too many other options in sports and entertainment in a metro area.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

20. Likes:

Boss-Hog (12-02-2020)

Michigan canceling their game Saturday against Maryland
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Michigan canceling their game Saturday against Maryland
    Ohio State is going to end up playing Nebraska again next weekend.

Turn Off Ads?